Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:55 PM

158 posts, read 158,399 times

Advertisements

[quote=RVlover;8826643]'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octagon View Post
Laid-back lifestyle? Where is that (in florida) ?'

Its in northern florida , particularly the Panhandle . Chicago-land was a 9 on the Stress Scale .... Panhandle is about a 3 as far as im concerned. In fact, i have to get used to people I dont know having a conversation with me ; theres something very nice about that.
Definitely! That's awesome! And the panhandle is the exception! good choice, RVlover!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:05 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
Quote:
Laid-back lifestyle? Where is that? In FL, it's all about running in a hurry to go nowhere, for the most part any way. When people from the busy NorthEast move to FL over years and years, it turns into that place.

You need to get out of South Florida to find it. Even there if you live on the beach in Delray and never get on I-95 you'll be fine...lol

Old 05-15-2009, 01:21 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
But the people up there arent coming to FL either. Certainly not for jobs anyway, and the difference between FL and those states are like 1 - 1.5%, so it's not a huge deal, imo.
If 1 - 1.5% isn't a huge deal to you, then FLorida isn't doing so bad, since Florida is only 1% above the NATIONAL average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octagon
Someone in Charlotte or Atlanta probably is going to look for work in their city, there not coming to FL, 9 out of 10 times anyway. But people in FL are looking up there, maybe the unemployment rate is 1% higher there or whatever, but a lot of the common factors behind Floridians moving up there are better quality of life, etc.
Estimated average household income in Atlanta is $47,000.

Estimated average household income in Tampa is $44,000.

$3000 is not a significant difference in the types of wages and earnings demonstrably being earned by the populations in the respective metros. The traffic is certainly not any better, nor is crime (it's worse in Atlanta than Tampa) or education.

Atlanta Schools - Atlanta Georgia School Ratings - Public and Private

Tampa Schools - Tampa Florida School Ratings - Public and Private

Bellhops and gas station attendants in Georgia do not make better livable wages compared to similarly situated minimum wage workers in Florida.

The only thing left, then, is if someone prefers the climate in Atlanta better. I'll take my sea breeze over hot stagnant Atlanta summers any day, however. But that's subjective.

In fact, any claim to "Better quality of life" is subjective. You're "new" here, but you sound an awful lot like some other posters on this board we've had before, extolling the virtues of South Carolina, North Carolina, etc. The same wide eyed optimism that some of the most pessimistic Floridians deride out of staters looking to move to Florida for a better life is also the same wide eyed naivete that they exhibit when extolling the virtues of other states.

If it suits you, have at it. But DO remember it IS subjective. I can swim in my pool in February and sit in my hammock beneath the Palm tree in my back yard afterwards. Can't do that in Raleigh. I can barely go in the ocean if water temperatures are below 80 degrees.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:36 PM

LOL, try sitting in your hammock in May, June, July, August, September, and even into October, lol. It's too hot! You can sit and enjoy the outdoors in Raleigh as much if not more so than in S FL.

And I dont personally WANT to live in Atlanta, but the outskirts are very nice, very friendly, and very pretty. That is a reason why a lot of people move there. Living in the outskirts of Miami vs the outskirts of Atlanta is night and day difference. Friendliness, attitudes, common courtesty, etc - advantage John's Creek, Alpharetta, Roswell, etc... Opa Locka? Lake Worth? Riviera Beach? LOL! Atlanta has crime, but on the outskirts BIG DIFFERENCE!

Go on the ATL forum and ask the Floridians up there (who live in the outskirts of the ATL area) how many would move back to S FL and which one provides a better quality of life, which one is safer, better for families, etc...

Old 05-15-2009, 01:50 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
LOL, try sitting in your hammock in May, June, July, August, September, and even into October, lol. It's too hot! You can sit and enjoy the outdoors in Raleigh as much if not more so than in S FL.

And I dont personally WANT to live in Atlanta, but the outskirts are very nice, very friendly, and very pretty. That is a reason why a lot of people move there. Living in the outskirts of Miami vs the outskirts of Atlanta is night and day difference. Friendliness, attitudes, common courtesty, etc - advantage John's Creek, Alpharetta, Roswell, etc... Opa Locka? Lake Worth? Riviera Beach? LOL! Atlanta has crime, but on the outskirts BIG DIFFERENCE!

Go on the ATL forum and ask the Floridians up there (who live in the outskirts of the ATL area) how many would move back to S FL and which one provides a better quality of life, which one is safer, better for families, etc...

Like I said. Subjective.

Comparing Alpharetta to Riviera Beach? Give me a break. Therein lies your perception problem. Try comparing Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, Parkland or Weston to Alpharetta next time.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:56 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Personally, I don't get it either. I didn't get in 1971. I especially don't in 2009. Weather. It has to be ALL ABOUT WEATHER.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:02 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Quote:
RVLover, glad to hear your happy. The only thing is, people coming here for simply chepaer housing and not shoveling snow are at times, disappointed in their choice to relocate to FL. But you chose the panhandle, and in that case, I see why you moved to FL!
I can understand people moving here and not being able to secure a job , or, working for substantially less than up North. I guess that would certainly disappoint many . I think its a matter of finding a good match between your individual circumstances and a prospective State within the U.S. -- it certainly requires much thought, planning, exploration , and required resources before one makes a final decision. Based on my own circumstances, Florida was almost a given...although i did consider the Gulf part of Alabama as well as South Carolina ; my sister being in Florida was a big consideration i might add. Family is very important in these troubling times . Regards.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:16 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Once again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If 1 - 1.5% isn't a huge deal to you, then FLorida isn't doing so bad, since Florida is only 1% above the NATIONAL average.

Estimated average household income in Atlanta is $47,000.

Estimated average household income in Tampa is $44,000.

$3000 is not a significant difference in the types of wages and earnings demonstrably being earned by the populations in the respective metros. The traffic is certainly not any better, nor is crime (it's worse in Atlanta than Tampa) or education.

Atlanta Schools - Atlanta Georgia School Ratings - Public and Private

Tampa Schools - Tampa Florida School Ratings - Public and Private

Bellhops and gas station attendants in Georgia do not make better livable wages compared to similarly situated minimum wage workers in Florida.

The only thing left, then, is if someone prefers the climate in Atlanta better. I'll take my sea breeze over hot stagnant Atlanta summers any day, however. But that's subjective.

In fact, any claim to "Better quality of life" is subjective. You're "new" here, but you sound an awful lot like some other posters on this board we've had before, extolling the virtues of South Carolina, North Carolina, etc. The same wide eyed optimism that some of the most pessimistic Floridians deride out of staters looking to move to Florida for a better life is also the same wide eyed naivete that they exhibit when extolling the virtues of other states.

If it suits you, have at it. But DO remember it IS subjective. I can swim in my pool in February and sit in my hammock beneath the Palm tree in my back yard afterwards. Can't do that in Raleigh. I can barely go in the ocean if water temperatures are below 80 degrees.
your bottom line is WEATHER. Weather is not going to pay your mortgage, put food on your table, or give your kids a good education.

PS. You can swim in your pool in February because you HEAT it. In Naples in January the Gulf water temps are in the 60s. Goggle that if you don't believe it. When we went in April, the water temp was 72 degrees. Probably a lot colder even then than you heated pool.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:34 PM

I dont even think weather in FL is that great. If you go to the Carolina's or Tennessee, that, imo, is better. you get the cold but not freezing, you get snow but very little, it gets hot in the summer, and spring and fall can be warm, perfect, and cool and crisp. To me, it's everything weather should be. Why be HOT 9 months out of the year if your decision is based only on weather?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Like I said. Subjective.

Comparing Alpharetta to Riviera Beach? Give me a break. Therein lies your perception problem. Try comparing Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, Parkland or Weston to Alpharetta next time.
Straight from the Orlando forum...

"Lots of people from FL are moving to Raleigh, NC. I moved in 95 from the Winter Springs area and love it here. If any of you want info on the area, just let me know. The schools are great, its a family friendly area with a much more stable real estate market then FL has at the moment."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida