Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:43 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinia View Post
My main interest is not the just the weather. I am sorry if you understood my post that way. We have been looking at other places to move to eventually as well. I suffer from SAD and it is to the point that as soon as crops start changing colors in the fall, my attitude, emotions and stress levels are seriously affected. I do not like being depressed 7 - 8 months of the year. Silly me! I despise fall only because it means that winter is coming! I can appreciate that others enjoy the 4 seasons and to some winter is the best. I, however, am not one of them. I do not even like the fall colors because of this and deserts, although warm and sunny, in my perception (which can be totally off since I have not travelled there really) is brown, dry and dead. During the winters, the best I have felt has been when I have been in Florida, visiting my mother and stepfather (another reason I would move there) and the best feeling was being on the beaches looking for shells. I do not need a fancy car, to be wealthy, or a fancy house on the beach or anywhere else.
This is a classic example of why people move to Florida. They believe life will be about walking on the beach picking up sea shells and all their problems will magically be solved.

Then when they arrive, they find out that they followed themselves to a place that is not paradise.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This is a classic example of why people move to Florida. They believe life will be about walking on the beach picking up sea shells and all their problems will magically be solved.

Then when they arrive, they find out that they followed themselves to a place that is not paradise.
I also have problems with SAD, it was one of the reasons I moved to Florida. However I did so with money in the bank (over a years worth of living expenses) and in a hot job market. We already owned a home in Florida, and my husband was telecommuting with his job and making his NJ salary.

We didn't expect life to be perfect, but we had researched this move for a decade before we made it, so we went in eyes wide open.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I also have problems with SAD, it was one of the reasons I moved to Florida. However I did so with money in the bank (over a years worth of living expenses) and in a hot job market. We already owned a home in Florida, and my husband was telecommuting with his job and making his NJ salary.

We didn't expect life to be perfect, but we had researched this move for a decade before we made it, so we went in eyes wide open.
That is the way to do it.

I know of someone who moved because he thought it would cure his depression/affective disorder. He imagined a paradise based on winter vacations at resorts. He now says it is hell for him there but he can't sell his house to move back north.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:14 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,547 times
You've never lived here, so what makes you the the last word on this state and it's issues? All you do is selectively dig up articles and photos on the web that support your own opinions.

Quote:
That is the way to do it.

I know of someone who moved because he thought it would cure his depression/affective disorder. He imagined a paradise based on winter vacations at resorts. He now says it is hell for him there but he can't sell his house to move back north.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:20 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,784 times
Quote:

That is not an inaccurate description. If you live near the coast that is exactly what it is.
I get up in the morning and like to go for a bike ride. I go along the beach and sometimes lock up the bike and walk or run on the beach. I can head over to the pier and fish maybe catch dinner if I like. I can do some swimming in the ocean or take the boat out and just drift fish using no fuel. Water ski or dive. Life can be quite good, and yes, somewhat of a paradise. I know a lot of people who have moved out of cities and the Florida costal living has solved a lot of their problems. Not all problems are financial. You know something else, most all of what I describe, no one hands you a bill at the end of the month.

I have a girl who rents from me who has a degree in psychology. She worked in a collage for several years in PA., thought she wanted to be part of the rat race. now she lives down here. She rents a small cottage I have for $500.00 a month including cable and an electric bill that runs around $60.00 a month. She works as a waitress in a nice restaurant and makes as much as she made teaching. She runs does her yoga, that she also teaches part time. Rides her bike to work most of the time. She spends a lot of time at the beach and dates a guy from the restaurant.

She is 28 and I don't know if I know a happier person then her. Her life is ideal. She may decide to make changes in the future, one never knows what the future holds, but her current life in south Florida is pretty darn good. Very scaled back and simple. I know she has quite a bit of money in the bank because I know what she makes and I know what she spends. She has talked about buying a house and the money seems to be no problem. Honestly, I think she is probably much farther ahead now working down here as a waitress then she would have been as a teacher in PA. I "Know" from what she says she is a hel! of a lot happier.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
You've never lived here, so what makes you the the last word on this state and it's issues? All you do is selectively dig up articles and photos on the web that support your own opinions.
I believe the title of this thread is : "Why are people still MOVING to Florida?"

If I don't live there, I could know people who have moved there. I might know people who are/are not considering moving there.

Unless you are a moderator, back off!

Old 05-26-2009, 08:40 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida