Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 08:37 AM

78,714 posts, read 60,892,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Yes this is a Tampa (or Fla) thing on new Accords, because I called and got a quote using my brother's address in VA and using my name and info and his address resulted in a quote at half of what I was quoted on a 24 Accord in tampa.

it has been regularly reported and documented that Florida has the highest auto insurance rates in the USA. I just was not expecting 6k a year.
3k, even 4k, ok fine. But not 6k.

Since I started this post I have been asking my neighbors about their rates, and here is what they are reporting (none has a 24 Accord):

We pay almost $7k with Geico for 2 vehicles that are less than 5 years old. It is nuts and it keeps going up every year.

We pay around $4k for 2 adult drivers with a 2022 VW Atlas and a 2023 Tesla Model S. Try Progressive and Geico, and as a last resort, you can decrease your coverages (assuming they’re not at the lowest levels now).

For 3 of us with no accidents or tickets it’s $10k. That’s the best we could find. Me, my husband, and 17 year old son.

Yep. We have 2 vehicles and it’s just under $6k a year. It’s crazy.

It's ridiculous. We're at $3400/year for 2 drivers, 2 vehicles (one being a Tesla which is more expensive to insure), no accidents/tickets/claims, and that's with getting a "deal" because we were able to get a policy with the company Costco is partnered with before they stopped writing policies here. Geico and Progressive were astronomical. Definitely use an agent if you're not and look into some of the lesser known companies.
Ok, so with the exception of the neighbors with a 17yo they have similar rates to what is posted here.

Which still means something is going on *odd* with your rates.

Thoughts:
1) Have your agent double check your submission, maybe the system is confusing you with someone else with nearly the same name like John A. Doe instead of John B. Doe and the other person has accidents. Maybe they put the age in wrong and you're being priced as an 18 yo.

2) Compare the premium by category to someone else and see where the big price difference is. (you don't have to price exactly a 2024 honda, just compare to like the neighbor with the 2022 VW.

3) Ask the agent to check your driving record, maybe you have something on there due to identity theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 11:43 AM

7,261 posts, read 4,635,515 times
Some parts of the country have really high insurance premiums. I drive a 16 year old Toyota Corolla in Nevada and only drive 2700 miles per year. Geigo has the cheapest rates at 1200/year. I can’t imagine what it would cost if I had a new car.

Old 05-13-2024, 11:47 AM

4,511 posts, read 3,886,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, so with the exception of the neighbors with a 17yo they have similar rates to what is posted here.

Which still means something is going on *odd* with your rates.

Thoughts:
1) Have your agent double check your submission, maybe the system is confusing you with someone else with nearly the same name like John A. Doe instead of John B. Doe and the other person has accidents. Maybe they put the age in wrong and you're being priced as an 18 yo.

2) Compare the premium by category to someone else and see where the big price difference is. (you don't have to price exactly a 2024 honda, just compare to like the neighbor with the 2022 VW.

3) Ask the agent to check your driving record, maybe you have something on there due to identity theft.
There is nothing *odd* about my quote; it's called living in Tampa and owning (or wanting to own) a 2024 Accord.

I already said that when I tested this theory by giving them my brother's Virginia address, the quote was reduced by half.

Therefore the only conclusion that can be drawn is that the zip code for the vehicle = high premium.

Old 05-13-2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Quit buying car models that thieves love to steal.

Do you "garage" your cars outside?

Or, maybe the weather beats the crap out of those Floriduh cars? (As seen on TV.)

What "safety features" are in a '24 vs. an '18? Are they worth an additional $4000 per year to you?

Are you an UBER driver? Or drive in a professional capacity?

OK

I do not have a garage, my car sits in my driveway

Yes weather sucks in Florida, but it sucks in other places too

Safety features like blind spot assist, anti-crash prevention, front and rear cameras etc

NO

Old 05-13-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Nailed it...the posting history speaks volumes.

When insurance companies want to get rid of a risk, they price that risk so high, the risk goes away. For some reason, insurance compaines hate canceling people, so they just triple their premium to make them go away instead. I don't know why this is so, but there is a reason w/in the State insurance regs that explains it.

The risk could be a particular customer, a zip code, & make/model car, or something else they don't like about the risk.
If my insurance company wanted to get rid of me they could have done that a long time ago; I have had Geico over 30 years

I think what my insurance company wants is for me to leave Florida; because when I got a quote from them using my brother's address in VA, the quote was reduced by half. But people are not going to move simply b/c their insurance triples.........what people are going to do is drive without insurance.

Which is going to make the insurance situation in FLA even worse.

Old 05-13-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
There is nothing *odd* about my quote; it's called living in Tampa and owning (or wanting to own) a 2024 Accord.

I already said that when I tested this theory by giving them my brother's Virginia address, the quote was reduced by half.

Therefore the only conclusion that can be drawn is that the zip code for the vehicle = high premium.
If you look here, the average cost of insurance in VA is about 1/2 that of Florida.

We would expect that whatever you are being quoted in FL is almost double VA it doesn't mean there isn't a problem somewhere else.

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/c...rates-by-state

Old 05-13-2024, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Right but that amount may be comparatively really high for VA.

Each states laws profoundly impact their auto insurance cost environment.
You are right b/c my VA brother's Geico premium is low ($1600 a year) then again he has a 2019 RAV4.

Old 05-13-2024, 05:19 PM

5,821 posts, read 12,652,748 times
New 2024 Honda CRV-Hybrid Sport. SWFL 1956 a year Progressive Ins. Shop around

Old 05-14-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
You are right b/c my VA brother's Geico premium is low ($1600 a year) then again he has a 2019 RAV4.
Ok, so in VA they'd be charging you double what your brother is paying.

Why not compare your quote to your brothers and see where the big $ differences are?

I dig into numbers for a living, something just feels off here, best of luck with your insurance costs.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

1,072 posts, read 772,821 times
Quote:
But I guess everyone in Florida is perfectly OK with this. I don't see anyone protesting.
We just bought a 2024 Honda Passport about 5 weeks ago. Full coverage insurance (liability maxed out to meet our umbrella liability requirement) is going to run us about $1,200 annually (paid every 6 months). Not everyone in Florida is receiving the same quotes as you I guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida