Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 02:01 PM

4,510 posts, read 3,884,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Many of those safety features have camera's and sensors on the exterior of the car. A very minor rear bumper collision can damage several safety instruments, & drive the cost to repair a minor fender bender above $3,500 in a NY minute.

A friend backed into our near new car in his driveway as he was backing out...he barely brushed up against our car. He scraped the rear bumper paint, & put a very minor dent in the metal just above the plastic bumper. You couldnt even see the dent from some angles...size of a key fob.

He said to get it fixed w/o reporting it to insurance, and he'll pay. I got 2 estimate's....cheapest was $3,800!

I got it fixed, and he paid us. I'm still in shock over cost...both body shops said it was due to all the wiring under the bumper, & safety sensors.

To remove the rear bumper, he had to remove both black plastic wheel well covers (rears) which are 1 time use, so both had to be replaced...$800 of the $3,800 repair.
Well if this is true then I guess $6000 insurance premiums are actually a great deal. If these are the repair costs that insurers are having to pay. Not to mention all the people suing for $500000 bc their back hurts after a fender bender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2024, 04:46 PM

284 posts, read 147,879 times
I have 2 cars insured in FL at its around $3000/year total for both. That being said one of them is known for being expensive to insure and costs almost double the other car. I also insure a truck and car in NC all with the same insurance company and those are about $1500/year, but one of them is significantly less expensive than the FL cars.

The NC cars use to be insured in FL and the price decrease moving them to NC was minimal. So while FL car insurance is more expensive than NC it's not a huge difference in my experience. $6000/year for one Honda is just ridiculous.

Old 05-11-2024, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I have 2 cars insured in FL at its around $3000/year total for both. That being said one of them is known for being expensive to insure and costs almost double the other car. I also insure a truck and car in NC all with the same insurance company and those are about $1500/year, but one of them is significantly less expensive than the FL cars.

The NC cars use to be insured in FL and the price decrease moving them to NC was minimal. So while FL car insurance is more expensive than NC it's not a huge difference in my experience. $6000/year for one Honda is just ridiculous.
Are any of your cars 2024 accords?

Old 05-11-2024, 11:26 PM

78,692 posts, read 60,878,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Thanks for link; those numbers must be for six months not a year. Otherwise they are way off.

I mentioned the 2018 accord in my OP. No im selling the 2018 accord and using that money to buy new car.

Regarding cost to insure among the different years Tell that to the insurance companies.

Still waiting for someone to come here and say they are paying 1800 a year to insure a 2024 accord in tampa or have a quote for that.

You know what’s really sad about this whole thing. The reason I want to replace the 2018 with a 2024 is to have the new safety features. All of those safety features should be making the car CHEAPER to insure. They prevent accidents they prevent serious injury etc. but they are not.
Couple comments:

1) They are citing averages. So a mix of drivers, vehicle ages etc. So, you have to be careful how you read those, it does give some idea that while they may charge more for older drivers it's not that much more.

2) Safety features have pros\cons in terms of cost reduction. They don't prevent somebody from rear-ending you etc. and when even a minor fender bender occurs it costs A LOT more due to all the bumper cameras , sensors, airbags etc. etc. Since I don't know the features and trim levels of your 2 accords *shrug*

3) I believe they are citing full year premiums which would be in line with what everyone else is posting. I'm just going to call this one a bermuda triangle as to why your rates seem so much higher because frankly your rates seem to be the outlier. No point kicking a dead horse, we can have a good conversation on the topic no matter what your premiums are.

P.S. The Insurance companies aren't just making this stuff up, all of it requires state regulatory approval and the FL Dept. of Insurance are notoriously tough.

Old 05-12-2024, 05:56 AM

10,380 posts, read 6,944,708 times
Quote:
I have bought 6 Accords in my lifetime and the insurance has usually gone up just a couple hundred dollars. It has never tripled.
Quit buying car models that thieves love to steal.

Do you "garage" your cars outside?

Or, maybe the weather beats the crap out of those Floriduh cars? (As seen on TV.)

What "safety features" are in a '24 vs. an '18? Are they worth an additional $4000 per year to you?

Are you an UBER driver? Or drive in a professional capacity?

Old 05-12-2024, 08:02 AM

284 posts, read 147,879 times
Quote:
Are any of your cars 2024 accords?
No. However if you're implying it's only an issue specifically with 2024 accords then it's not a FL insurance issue as you claimed in your original post. No one is up in arms because no one is paying $6k/year for car insurance.

If your $6k insurance quote was the norm I'm sure people would be up in arms like they are about homeowners insurance. That or no one would be buying 2024 accords.

Old 05-12-2024, 08:45 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,013,045 times
Is this a Tampa thing? I have a '24 Ioniq5 EV which should be more expensive to insure. I'm paying a quarter of what you're paying.

Old 05-12-2024, 09:06 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,339,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Is this a Tampa thing? I have a '24 Ioniq5 EV which should be more expensive to insure. I'm paying a quarter of what you're paying.
No, the OP just regularly complains about Tampa. I’m in the area and my rate is about 1/3rd what she claims she is being quoted.

Old 05-13-2024, 05:24 AM

26,001 posts, read 12,998,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
No, the OP just regularly complains about Tampa. I’m in the area and my rate is about 1/3rd what she claims she is being quoted.
Nailed it...the posting history speaks volumes.

When insurance companies want to get rid of a risk, they price that risk so high, the risk goes away. For some reason, insurance compaines hate canceling people, so they just triple their premium to make them go away instead. I don't know why this is so, but there is a reason w/in the State insurance regs that explains it.

The risk could be a particular customer, a zip code, & make/model car, or something else they don't like about the risk.

Old 05-13-2024, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Yes this is a Tampa (or Fla) thing on new Accords, because I called and got a quote using my brother's address in VA and using my name and info and his address resulted in a quote at half of what I was quoted on a 24 Accord in tampa.

it has been regularly reported and documented that Florida has the highest auto insurance rates in the USA. I just was not expecting 6k a year.
3k, even 4k, ok fine. But not 6k.

Since I started this post I have been asking my neighbors about their rates, and here is what they are reporting (none has a 24 Accord):

We pay almost $7k with Geico for 2 vehicles that are less than 5 years old. It is nuts and it keeps going up every year.

We pay around $4k for 2 adult drivers with a 2022 VW Atlas and a 2023 Tesla Model S. Try Progressive and Geico, and as a last resort, you can decrease your coverages (assuming they’re not at the lowest levels now).

For 3 of us with no accidents or tickets it’s $10k. That’s the best we could find. Me, my husband, and 17 year old son.

Yep. We have 2 vehicles and it’s just under $6k a year. It’s crazy.

It's ridiculous. We're at $3400/year for 2 drivers, 2 vehicles (one being a Tesla which is more expensive to insure), no accidents/tickets/claims, and that's with getting a "deal" because we were able to get a policy with the company Costco is partnered with before they stopped writing policies here. Geico and Progressive were astronomical. Definitely use an agent if you're not and look into some of the lesser known companies.

Last edited by sinatras; 05-13-2024 at 07:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida