Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 08:07 AM

25,919 posts, read 12,943,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Actually I think it is conservatives in the Northeast that are moving there. I have a lot of conservative friends that have either moved to Florida or are planning to. Very different from who used to move to Florida from NY, NJ, CT, etc.
I 3rd that motion. As soon as their kids are grown and leave the nest, the Conservative parents leave next...

...unless a job keeps them from bolting. Then, they stay until retirement...but many retire at early ages.

I know a lot of affluent Conservative retirees from the Northeast that are in their 50's, or early 60's. Most had gov't related jobs, & got pensions after 20,25,30 years. Law enforcement & education mostly.

They research past FLA election results, & move into the most Conservative place they like most...like I did.

Most of SW FLA, South of the Skyway Bridge, is deep Red.

The Northeasterners I know, love Florida. We have a lot less gov't intrusion in our lives here, they say.

A survey in this link says ~1/2 who live in NYC now, plan to leave win the next 5 yrs It doesn't mention politics, but that's 4M people.

I hope we are all correct, and most of them are center-Right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2024, 08:12 AM

21,658 posts, read 31,293,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I 3rd that motion. As soon as their kids are grown and leave the nest, the Conservative parents leave next...

...unless a job keeps them from bolting. Then, they stay until retirement...but many retire at early ages.

I know a lot of affluent Conservative retirees from the Northeast that are in their 50's, or early 60's. Most had gov't related jobs, & got pensions after 20,25,30 years. Law enforcement & education mostly.

They research past FLA election results, & move into the most Conservative place they like most...like I did.

The Northeasterners I know, love Florida. We have a lot less gov't intrusion in our lives here, they say.

A survey in this link says ~1/2 who live in NYC now, plan to leave win the next 5 yrs It doesn't mention politics, but that's 4M people.

It’s not even retirees, at least on the southeast coast. Here in Palm Beach County, we have a ton of families that relocated here, particularly from Long Island, Westchester, Rockland and northern NJ. The schools are overcrowded now, and there’s years long wait lists for many private schools.

I think the fact that housing is so high here now has slowed the migration. These days, with price, tax and insurance, housing is equivalent to or higher than what it would be in many parts of metro NYC. The average single family home price in Palm Beach County hit $1.17 million in January.

Old 04-27-2024, 08:16 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,080,993 times
Quote:

Largely I agree with your assertion besides the governmental intrusion on life component mentioned by Northeasterners. I'm having a hard time thinking of any intrusions possibly encountered in day-to-day life outside of a mask mandate in place during COVID two years ago. Can you expound on what those "intrusions" might be?

Old 04-27-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Largely I agree with your assertion besides the governmental intrusion on life component mentioned by Northeasterners. I'm having a hard time thinking of any intrusions possibly encountered in day-to-day life outside of a mask mandate in place during COVID two years ago. Can you expound on what those "intrusions" might be?
Having lived in Connecticut for close to 30 years, it became exhausting constantly reading about proposed new taxes and tax hikes. Property taxes on cars, boats, mileage tax, commuter tax, fuel tax hikes, mil rate hikes, etc. I don’t know I’d agree with “intrusion”, but the ridiculous taxes continuously being proposed (and many passed) was tiresome. I wouldn’t feel such disdain toward taxes everywhere you turn if they were used properly, but having worked for the government in Connecticut, spending was nauseatingly mismanaged.

I lean right on most issues, but I see more “intrusion” into my daily life in Florida than anywhere I’ve lived previously. It is most certainly not a “free” state - only branded as such.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:29 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,080,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Having lived in Connecticut for close to 30 years, it became exhausting constantly reading about proposed new taxes and tax hikes. Property taxes on cars, boats, mileage tax, commuter tax, fuel tax hikes, mil rate hikes, etc. I don’t know I’d agree with “intrusion”, but the ridiculous taxes continuously being proposed (and many passed) was tiresome. I wouldn’t feel such disdain toward taxes everywhere you turn if they were used properly, but having worked for the government in Connecticut, spending was nauseatingly mismanaged.

I lean right on most issues, but I see more “intrusion” into my daily life in Florida than anywhere I’ve lived previously. It is most certainly not a “free” state - only branded as such.
I agree completely which is why I jumped on the premise of intrusions in the Northeast US. I completely understand the taxation premise where for now Florida is better. Over the long term with growth however it won't be sustainable, as evidenced by the fact all new highways in FL are being built as toll roads.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree completely which is why I jumped on the premise of intrusions in the Northeast US. I completely understand the taxation premise where for now Florida is better. Over the long term with growth however it won't be sustainable, as evidenced by the fact all new highways in FL are being built as toll roads.
My property taxes in Palm Beach County are already higher than they were in Connecticut, and are higher than what an equivalent home would be up north. Don’t get me wrong, I love the tropical South Florida lifestyle - but it doesn’t come cheap.

Old 04-27-2024, 02:34 PM

Quote:
It’s not even retirees, at least on the southeast coast. Here in Palm Beach County, we have a ton of families that relocated here, particularly from Long Island, Westchester, Rockland and northern NJ. The schools are overcrowded now, and there’s years long wait lists for many private schools.

I think the fact that housing is so high here now has slowed the migration. These days, with price, tax and insurance, housing is equivalent to or higher than what it would be in many parts of metro NYC. The average single family home price in Palm Beach County hit $1.17 million in January.
I checked 5 different sites, & the highest single-family median home price for Palm Beach County I saw was $689k. The other 4 were in the 5's.

I'd show links, but I think they are competitors to C-D, & against the terms & conditions here.

Most of the real estate web sites do not show avg, they show median. Some show avg asking prices, and those were ~$700k for single-family homes.

Where did you see the $1.17M average for January for single-family homes in Palm Beach County?

The last 2 national elections showed a significant shift Right for S.E FLA. So, Republicans must be moving into SE FLA too.

Cubans & Venezuelans tend to vote Republican too, so maybe those populations are growing in FLA.

I know Biden said he wouldn't accept any more Venezuelans here...he's shipping them back...then Maduro said he wouldnt take them back, so now what? The newcomers are not registering to vote, so they are not in the stats we're seeing now, but those who came when Maduro took over in 2013 may have voting rights here now. They could be part of the trend we're seeing.

Old 04-27-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
My property taxes in Palm Beach County are already higher than they were in Connecticut, and are higher than what an equivalent home would be up north. Don’t get me wrong, I love the tropical South Florida lifestyle - but it doesn’t come cheap.
Property taxes vary wildly in FLA from County to County. The lowest I saw when I was researching were in the Panhandle (Walton, Bay), & SW FLA (Collier, Lee). The highest were all on the East coast of FLA (Palm Beach, Martin).

The Republican registered voters are still seeing a significant drop in overall cost of living in FLA, vs. most of the states they moved here from.

CT is ranked 12th most costly, FLA is 21st.

Also, property values in FLA have nearly doubled in the past 5 yrs, so of course property taxes are going to increase too (even with Save Our Home laws) Thus, comparing what we pay today in FLA, to what we paid up North 5+ yrs ago is skewed...no matter how you're registered to vote in FLA.

FLA isnt as cheap as it used to be, but its cheaper than most of the places people are moving here from...no matter what their politcal affiliation is.

I'm not seeing may move to FLA from WV, MS, AL. They're moving here from NY, NJ, MA, CT, IL, MN, WI, MI...mostly Democrat States...but most of them are the Republicans from these Blue States it seems; by the FLA voter registration trends over the past 4 years.

Old 04-27-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I checked 5 different sites, & the highest single-family median home price for Palm Beach County I saw was $689k. The other 4 were in the 5's.

I'd show links, but I think they are competitors to C-D, & against the terms & conditions here.

Most of the real estate web sites do not show avg, they show median. Some show avg asking prices, and those were ~$700k for single-family homes.

Where did you see the $1.17M average for January for single-family homes in Palm Beach County?

The last 2 national elections showed a significant shift Right for S.E FLA. So, Republicans must be moving into SE FLA too.

Cubans & Venezuelans tend to vote Republican too, so maybe those populations are growing in FLA.

I know Biden said he wouldn't accept any more Venezuelans here...he's shipping them back...then Maduro said he wouldnt take them back, so now what? The newcomers are not registering to vote, so they are not in the stats we're seeing now, but those who came when Maduro took over in 2013 may have voting rights here now. They could be part of the trend we're seeing.
Single family average home price - not sale price in general. There is a difference.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/...y/73038307007/

“Palm Beach home sale prices increase in February with average price topping $1 million“

Quote:
Property taxes vary wildly in FLA from County to County. The lowest I saw when I was researching were in the Panhandle (Walton, Bay), & SW FLA (Collier, Lee). The highest were all on the East coast of FLA (Palm Beach, Martin).

The Republican registered voters are still seeing a significant drop in overall cost of living in FLA, vs. most of the states they moved here from.

CT is ranked 12th most costly, FLA is 21st.

Also, property values in FLA have nearly doubled in the past 5 yrs, so of course property taxes are going to increase too (even with Save Our Home laws) Thus, comparing what we pay today in FLA, to what we paid up North 5+ yrs ago is skewed...no matter how you're registered to vote in FLA.

FLA isnt as cheap as it used to be, but its cheaper than most of the places people are moving here from...no matter what their politcal affiliation is.

I'm not seeing may move to FLA from WV, MS, AL. They're moving here from NY, NJ, MA, CT, IL, MN, WI, MI...mostly Democrat States...but most of them are the Republicans from these Blue States it seems; by the FLA voter registration trends over the past 4 years.
I’m telling you as someone who owns a home in Palm Beach County and Simsbury, Connecticut - everything is higher in Florida. Price per square foot, taxes, insurance, maintenance, electricity, groceries. The only thing we save on is income tax (and some various taxes like vehicle tax). The list you’re looking at doesn’t take into account every aspect of cost of living, and is likely using dated statistics.

Old 04-27-2024, 05:36 PM

11,319 posts, read 18,933,626 times
Quote:

I know a lot of affluent Conservative retirees from the Northeast that are in their 50's, or early 60's
. Most had gov't related jobs, & got pensions after 20,25,30 years. Law enforcement & education mostly.

I'm center-left myself but most of my friends from southern Westchester when I was in high school are now pretty "across the board" political-wise (thanks to Facebook I'm in touch with most of them). I'm 56 now so this is very true of my "Trumper" friends and what I heavily based my statement on. That said, kidyankee lives in FL so he's right as well about the below:

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida