Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 819 times

Advertisements

All,

My wife and I are planning our move to FL. We have the whole state to choose from but are focusing on the West coast, about mid state down.

I have read my share of horror stories of counties and cities behaving worse than even the most draconian HOAs and would like to find which municipalities are least likely to be using drones to look for violations and visiting lawns with rulers in order to fine you. Just read a story about a guy who had to take down a fountain in his backyard that was two inches too high.

While we are not park the cars on the lawn type of folks, I'd like to be able to take a two week vacation without coming back to a $500 fine for the lawn being too high.

So, is there some kind of resources that rates municipalities from most anal and contrl freakish to the freest?

Second, we are also trying to find a lot on a canal that has direct or indirect access to the gulf. There are many resources to help find such lots but none so far provide information on the width and depth of the canal, how often it is maintained, and also shows the low and high tide clearance (as is possible) underneath any bridges that stand between the lot and open water.

I expect that some FL department, either the state or county level is responsible for maintaining the canals and this information. Any ideas?

Thank you much for all responses!

DT105
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 01:42 PM

3,482 posts, read 2,474,861 times
As long as no one in your family is pregnant, in public school, speaks with an accent, has brown (or darker) skin, wears dreadlocks (no matter what their skin color), or has pronouns that don't correspond with their reproductive organs, or is in the LGBTQ++ group or has a parent or beloved relative in that group, you're free anywhere you want in Florida.

If you are any of the above, I'd suggest anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Old 05-13-2024, 01:45 PM

15,018 posts, read 12,228,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
As long as no one in your family is pregnant, in public school, speaks with an accent, has brown (or darker) skin, wears dreadlocks (no matter what their skin color), or has pronouns that don't correspond with their reproductive organs, or is in the LGBTQ++ group or has a parent or beloved relative in that group, you're free anywhere you want in Florida.

If you are any of the above, I'd suggest anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line.
That is NOWHERE close to the reality.

Old 05-13-2024, 01:57 PM

18,575 posts, read 8,380,093 times
DT, I would imagine almost every neighborhood in Florida has a facebook page....I would start with a map of the canals....and find the FB page for that neighborhood

Old 05-13-2024, 02:44 PM

2,372 posts, read 2,341,123 times
My advice would be to find an unincorporated area without an HOA, then only state and county ordinances would apply. Much of Florida is like this so it shouldn’t be difficult to find.

Old 05-14-2024, 10:51 AM

17,571 posts, read 39,241,377 times
To the OP, I don't think we can give real specific areas for what you are asking; but one thing to remember is that usually the least restrictions will be outside city limits, so you would only go by county codes which would really be the bare minimum if you are not in an HOA.

Old 05-14-2024, 12:10 PM

4,632 posts, read 7,578,023 times
My wife and I are planning our move to FL. We have the whole state to choose from but are focusing on the West coast, about mid state down.

I have read my share of horror stories of counties and cities behaving worse than even the most draconian HOAs and would like to find which municipalities are least likely to be using drones to look for violations and visiting lawns with rulers in order to fine you. Just read a story about a guy who had to take down a fountain in his backyard that was two inches too high.

While we are not park the cars on the lawn type of folks, I'd like to be able to take a two week vacation without coming back to a $500 fine for the lawn being too high.

Some people hate deed restrictions, they feel they restrict what they can do with their property. Others like deed restrictions because they do give an overall standard for the subdivision that all homeowners must maintain, thereby keeping up the property values as a whole.

The alternative to deed restrictions is to buy in a non deed restricted neighborhood, which is governed by county or city property standards. Yes, you can park an RV or boat on your driveway. But so can your neighbors, who may have an older RV or boat that has seen better days. Your neighbors can store junk in their carports, string laundry on back yard clothes lines, leave cheap plastic play toys all over the front lawn. You can get creative in your choice of paint colors for your home. So can your neighbors.

Unless the governing entity has ordinances covering parking on front lawns, you can turn your front lawn into a parking lot if you wish.

Do not assume a beautiful street of well kept homes you see today will stay that way in the future in a non deed restricted neighborhood - the potential is always there that one of the neighboring homes will change ownership and the new neighbor has different points of view than yours on lifestyles.

That is why people should carefully weigh the positives/ negatives of deed restricted vs non deed restricted and decide which will work best for their individual situation.

An alternative to no deed restrictions might be an older HOA neighborhood that has just 1 or 2 pages of basic rules vs the 50 - 60 pages of restrictions found in most new or newer communities.

So, is there some kind of resources that rates municipalities from most anal and contrl freakish to the freest?

If there is, I have not found it in my 25 years selling real estate, and I purposely look for data bases with info that can impact buyers. Keep in mind that pretty much all of the counties in the area you are targeting use drones to survey properties for appraisal purposes, mainly looking for un-permitted additions and improvements.

Second, we are also trying to find a lot on a canal that has direct or indirect access to the gulf.

You might try the FL Fish & Wildlife Conservation website for boatable canal information, but please keep in mind that there are over 400 small canals along SW FL and it's doubtful any state agency is going to have up to the minute information on canal depths, canal maintenance (dredging), etc for those types of canals.

You might find this map of interest: Waterways Map | SWFL Waterways

Before buying any waterfront property in FL, buyers should spend some time learning about riparian rights. Just because a property appears to be on a canal does not necessarily mean the home owner of that property has water rights to put in a dock or have boating access to that canal. Initially, you may think that you have a waterfront property, but if the boundary of the lot ends at all shy of the high tide watermark, then you may not be granted riparian rights. You may find that one or more of your neighbors have easement rights to your canal front property. Find a lawyer well versed in riparian rights before buying a canal front property in order to avoid surprises after closing.

Old 05-14-2024, 06:08 PM

6,104 posts, read 3,813,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post

Some people hate deed restrictions, they feel they restrict what they can do with their property. Others like deed restrictions because they do give an overall standard for the subdivision that all homeowners must maintain, thereby keeping up the property values as a whole.

The alternative to deed restrictions is to buy in a non deed restricted neighborhood, which is governed by county or city property standards. Yes, you can park an RV or boat on your driveway. But so can your neighbors, who may have an older RV or boat that has seen better days. Your neighbors can store junk in their carports, string laundry on back yard clothes lines, leave cheap plastic play toys all over the front lawn. You can get creative in your choice of paint colors for your home. So can your neighbors.

Unless the governing entity has ordinances covering parking on front lawns, you can turn your front lawn into a parking lot if you wish.

Do not assume a beautiful street of well kept homes you see today will stay that way in the future in a non deed restricted neighborhood - the potential is always there that one of the neighboring homes will change ownership and the new neighbor has different points of view than yours on lifestyles.

That is why people should carefully weigh the positives/ negatives of deed restricted vs non deed restricted and decide which will work best for their individual situation.

An alternative to no deed restrictions might be an older HOA neighborhood that has just 1 or 2 pages of basic rules vs the 50 - 60 pages of restrictions found in most new or newer communities.

If there is, I have not found it in my 25 years selling real estate, and I purposely look for data bases with info that can impact buyers. Keep in mind that pretty much all of the counties in the area you are targeting use drones to survey properties for appraisal purposes, mainly looking for un-permitted additions and improvements.

Second, we are also trying to find a lot on a canal that has direct or indirect access to the gulf.

You might try the FL Fish & Wildlife Conservation website for boatable canal information, but please keep in mind that there are over 400 small canals along SW FL and it's doubtful any state agency is going to have up to the minute information on canal depths, canal maintenance (dredging), etc for those types of canals.

You might find this map of interest: Waterways Map | SWFL Waterways

Before buying any waterfront property in FL, buyers should spend some time learning about riparian rights. Just because a property appears to be on a canal does not necessarily mean the home owner of that property has water rights to put in a dock or have boating access to that canal. Initially, you may think that you have a waterfront property, but if the boundary of the lot ends at all shy of the high tide watermark, then you may not be granted riparian rights. You may find that one or more of your neighbors have easement rights to your canal front property. Find a lawyer well versed in riparian rights before buying a canal front property in order to avoid surprises after closing.
Good advice.

Old 05-14-2024, 11:14 PM

3,339 posts, read 1,835,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

This post is full of ridiculous misconceptions.
People from all over and all types move here continually with no greater issues than anywhere else.

Gay folks flock here .. and live quite happily by the hundreds of thousands.
Florida from Orlando to Key West, West Palm Beach to Boca and the gay mecca of the southeast called Key West.. in fact most everywhere is either gay welcoming or pretty benign.

Spanish (and increasingly asian) people are everywhere and live quite peacefully and productively as the average northern transplant.
The Haitians live in their own enclaves and I can't speak to their experience... but they keep coming, so..

Don't start me on the trans stuff though.
They are typically just hideous, straight, white men with AGP who want to pass as lesbians; and we just want to be left alone!
How unconscionably horrific that Florida doesn't let them change their sex on their drivers license.
Boo. Hoo.

The HOAs are another matter entirely, although mine is perfectly wonderful.
Your-HOA-May-Vary.

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 05-14-2024 at 11:24 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM

3,482 posts, read 2,474,861 times
To the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
This post is full of ridiculous misconceptions.
People from all over and all types move here continually with no greater issues than anywhere else.

Gay folks flock here .. and live quite happily by the hundreds of thousands.
Florida from Orlando to Key West, West Palm Beach to Boca and the gay mecca of the southeast called Key West.. in fact most everywhere is either gay welcoming or pretty benign.

Spanish (and increasingly asian) people are everywhere and live quite peacefully and productively as the average northern transplant.
The Haitians live in their own enclaves and I can't speak to their experience... but they keep coming, so..

Don't start me on the trans stuff though.
They are typically just hideous, straight, white men with AGP who want to pass as lesbians; and we just want to be left alone!
How unconscionably horrific that Florida doesn't let them change their sex on their drivers license.
Boo. Hoo.

The HOAs are another matter entirely, although mine is perfectly wonderful.
Your-HOA-May-Vary.
I present to you Exhibit A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida