Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 12:08 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times

Advertisements

My question is basically this: how do those of you who aren't year-round residents of Florida cope with 'post-Florida depression'? I just got back 'up north' from a long weekend in St Augustine (my cousin got married there), and though it's a decent day in Buffalo today weather-wise (60 and sunny), it's not exactly the cloudless mid-70s perfection I experienced over the past four days. But the difference runs deeper than weather, of course. People were friendlier. There were more places to go. The architecture of the city of St Augustine specifically was terrific. People of all ages seemed to be enjoying life, with relatively few exceptions from what I could tell. I come back up here, note the relative dullness of my area, and it hits me harder than it did previously. I hadn't been to the state of Florida in over 20 years, and I'd never been to St Augustine, so I never really had an appreciation for how good life could be down there, even if only over a four-day span. Also, let it just be said that I am not a Republican, and in recent years I've allowed politics to color my view of the state. But that seems to have been a massive mistake on my part, as day-to-day life at the beach isn't affected much (if at all) by people's political leanings. And, as mentioned earlier in the post, my interactions down there were all positive, anyway.

So, my question is aimed at seasonal residents or frequent visitors: how do you adjust back to 'real life' once you return to your hometown? I'm feeling legitimately depressed today and could use some guidance if anyone has any. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 12:10 PM

My bad on the thread title--forgot to keep hitting that backspace key, heh. Not sure if a mod could edit that for me

Old 04-16-2024, 12:51 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
The days are still shorter up north. Florida is closer to the equator. St. Augustine is "short" and Buffalo is "tall." Buffalo's nature is natural, whereas St. Augustine's nature is mostly man-made. At least the parts where you'll find people living in it. St. Augustine has a lot of "orange" colors and Spanish architecture, which gives it an overall "warm" feeling. Buffalo has a lot of grey trees, steel buildings, 1950's Art Deco architecture, giving it an overall "cool" feeling. Also this time of year, Buffalo is still at the very earliest moments of Spring; you might still encounter snow. In St. Augustine, Spring is almost over and the Love-bugs will bring in Summer before the month is over.

Lastly, you were on vacation. You had no day-to-day responsibilities while you were visiting for four days in a row. You came home and had to get back to whatever you consider your daily grind to be. So the novelty of a whole other climate, with completely different activities, in a totally different-looking location, hit you hard and is lingering even while you're already home.

Old 04-16-2024, 01:27 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Well I am 91 on my way out,lived in Lake City area for 25 years during its development and enjoyed my time in the last many years,with my free $75,000 exemption home owner taxes.
Age dictated my move back to TAX happy CT,I get to flush $5000 or more down the toilet each year with no elderly tax help.
I have seen 22 death's since returning.
My health care in later years superior to CT.
I do have crippled legs from Moderma booster shot Dec.2021.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The days are still shorter up north. Florida is closer to the equator. St. Augustine is "short" and Buffalo is "tall." Buffalo's nature is natural, whereas St. Augustine's nature is mostly man-made. At least the parts where you'll find people living in it. St. Augustine has a lot of "orange" colors and Spanish architecture, which gives it an overall "warm" feeling. Buffalo has a lot of grey trees, steel buildings, 1950's Art Deco architecture, giving it an overall "cool" feeling. Also this time of year, Buffalo is still at the very earliest moments of Spring; you might still encounter snow. In St. Augustine, Spring is almost over and the Love-bugs will bring in Summer before the month is over.

Lastly, you were on vacation. You had no day-to-day responsibilities while you were visiting for four days in a row. You came home and had to get back to whatever you consider your daily grind to be. So the novelty of a whole other climate, with completely different activities, in a totally different-looking location, hit you hard and is lingering even while you're already home.
Thoughtful post; I appreciate it. I usually experience some degree of a post-vacation hangover of sorts, but it seemed more severe this time around. And I kind of anticipated that it would, given how good of a time I'd had and how much I enjoyed seeing my family (some of whom I hadn't seen for 10 or 15 years). Thanks for helping me find perspective. Kudos to Florida for making today a difficult day

Old 04-16-2024, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Well I am 91 on my way out,lived in Lake City area for 25 years during its development and enjoyed my time in the last many years,with my free $75,000 exemption home owner taxes.
Age dictated my move back to TAX happy CT,I get to flush $5000 or more down the toilet each year with no elderly tax help.
I have seen 22 death's since returning.
My health care in later years superior to CT.
I do have crippled legs from Moderma booster shot Dec.2021.
22 deaths of people you knew? Over what I assume is a short span of time...brutal. Best of luck, hope you can find some contentment in Connecticut despite all that

Old 04-16-2024, 02:27 PM

14,951 posts, read 9,790,824 times
I felt what your feeling once... in the 70's. Never felt it again, in the 70's. No one had to hit me over the head twice.

Long time resident of Florida.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:38 PM

103 posts, read 95,292 times
Oh Matt...

Snowbirds have zero desire to be in Florida during June-Sept. (longer for some.) They are not at all depressed to get the hell out and spend those months somewhere pleasant. Part year FL residents are part year for a reason. You came in April. I'm pretty sure if you came in July/August and maybe throw a hurricane into the mix, you would not be so bummed about returning to Buffalo.

When I'm out of Florida, I'm thrilled to not be in Florida. I would not want to live here year round. In your case Matt maybe plan another visit since you liked your trip. It will be something to look forward to. If you don't like where you live consider making a change. Doesn't have to be right away but something to explore and work towards. Another idea is take day trips to places closer to home that can give you some of what you liked about St. Augustine. Pick a city with appealing architecture that draws tourists. That way you'll get the atmosphere of "friendliness" and "people enjoying life."

You mentioned politics not affecting "life at the beach"... I know you know better. Politics probably won't affect someone's 4 day vacation but I strongly believe if you lived here you'd be singing a different tune about politics in FL.

Old 04-16-2024, 03:53 PM

2,271 posts, read 1,666,238 times
You are coming out of a really gray and kind of depressing time of year in Western NY. January to March often seemed endless. It’s not really as bad when the snow is falling but when the snowbanks turn dirty and mushy plus the sky is overcast day after day. I get it.

However, once Spring comes along with summer it really does improve. I had to escape the heat of FL in July or August as you either lived in A/C or stayed in the pool to be comfortable.

I do agree that the colors of FL architecture/landscaping are brighter and the sky is bluer which can elevate your mood.

Old 04-16-2024, 05:02 PM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
It all seems great when you are down here for a week. Totally different when you move here. The people aren't as friendly, a lot of them have demons they are dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida