Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 05:26 AM

25,792 posts, read 12,849,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Looking forward to part two. The 20 years of scouting is an amazing amount of patience. I play cards for a living so I could theoretically move there tomorrow, but I've got family commitments for the time being, plus I enjoy Buffalo summers. Waiting 6 months seems a lot more doable than 240 months, lol
The endless Florida scouting trips, on every vacation I got, were self-therapy.

I was trapped in my jobs where I lived up North (St. Louis, Columbus OH, & Atlanta), so my trips were a form of escapism...they gave me hope that some day I could live in Florida...keeping the dream alive.

The trips gave me incentive to save even more $ to make my escape....some day. I scrimped for years. On my FLA search-therapy trips, I mostly stayed w/ family & friends, & when I wore out my welcome, I found cheap places to rent.

After college graduation in FLA, & 5 yrs away in St. Louis, I finally got up enough courage to make it back to FLA.

Chapter 2 is that after 5 years living/working in my own personal Utopia (Tampa/St. Pete./Bradenton FLA), I made the same mistake again...by leaving a 2nd time I took a Fortune 500 promotion w/huge pay raise to move to...Columbus Ohio Talk about young, dumb, & overly ambitious.

I moved from the Sunshine State to the Cloudy State

I only lasted 1.5 yrs in Columbus, it was dreadful, so I tried to resign from my job again....to return to FLA...I learned when to fold 'em. Columbus was a sucker's bet, so I took my losses and was Southward bound...again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 06:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,806,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Yeah, today and the following two days are predicted to be completely overcast in WNY. Over the past few years, I feel like I've developed a relatively severe case of seasonal affective, or perhaps something a bit different, in that my aversion to grey days is not confined to the winter. Buffalo is one of the cloudiest cities in the continental US, and weather is something I always find myself worrying about to some degree. Friend of mine who moved to Arlington VA once remarked to me, 'Nobody in DC thinks about the weather.' Overgeneralization, but I got the point.

I'll be in Buffalo till the end of the summer (though I am planning on a June trip to Vegas to play in a World Series of Poker event), but my experience in Florida has me considering snowbirding in 2024-2025 at the ripe old age of 38 (I'll have turned 38 by then)
I am from CT and spend time in south FL. I am not exactly a snowbird as I spend 7 to 10 days a month in FL year round. My perspective is that the summer is awful warning to people up north is somewhat overdone. I can't comment on Buffalo, but in CT we get hot, humid, and stagnant air from late June until early Sept. Here in south FL, by the coast, it is hot in the summer but surprisingly often less hot than at home in CT (upper 80s/low 90s in FL versus temps as high as 100 with heat indexes over 100 several days each summer in CT). I also have nearly a constant breeze off the ocean in FL to make things feel much cooler.

Every location has its pluses and minuses. Spring and summer can be beautiful up north but FL has some beautiful spring and summer days as well. It all depends on your lifestyle. I have found that escaping the grey northeast in winter for just a week or two in December, January and February dissolves the SAD symptoms and makes winters more enjoyable up north.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:47 AM

6,466 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I am from CT and spend time in south FL. I am not exactly a snowbird as I spend 7 to 10 days a month in FL year round. My perspective is that the summer is awful warning to people up north is somewhat overdone. I can't comment on Buffalo, but in CT we get hot, humid, and stagnant air from late June until early Sept. Here in south FL, by the coast, it is hot in the summer but surprisingly often less hot than at home in CT (upper 80s/low 90s in FL versus temps as high as 100 with heat indexes over 100 several days each summer in CT). I also have nearly a constant breeze off the ocean in FL to make things feel much cooler.

Every location has its pluses and minuses. Spring and summer can be beautiful up north but FL has some beautiful spring and summer days as well. It all depends on your lifestyle. I have found that escaping the grey northeast in winter for just a week or two in December, January and February dissolves the SAD symptoms and makes winters more enjoyable up north.
Good observations. I'm in western NY, outside of Rochester, and yeah, our summer weather can be somewhat difficult to deal with. Winters, of course, can be tough, but since I'm retired, I no longer have to fight the weather, 5-6 days a week, during a 20 mile commute.

Old 04-21-2024, 12:30 PM

3,581 posts, read 3,084,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Good observations. I'm in western NY, outside of Rochester, and yeah, our summer weather can be somewhat difficult to deal with. Winters, of course, can be tough, but since I'm retired, I no longer have to fight the weather, 5-6 days a week, during a 20 mile commute.
WNY Summers can have a few very warm and humid spells, but not the relentless heat that most of the US sees. In Buffalo, due to effects from Lake Erie, 90 degree temperatures are rare (just 2x in 2023), and it has never reached 100 degrees. We go most of the summer with windows open, no air conditioner on, and summers are mostly sunny and dry. Nightime temperatures typically in the 60s, with plenty of 50s scattered in, rarely above 70 (just 4x in 2023). The only major US cities with cooler summers than Buffalo are San Diego and San Francisco.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:08 AM

17,226 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
WNY Summers can have a few very warm and humid spells, but not the relentless heat that most of the US sees. In Buffalo, due to effects from Lake Erie, 90 degree temperatures are rare (just 2x in 2023), and it has never reached 100 degrees. We go most of the summer with windows open, no air conditioner on, and summers are mostly sunny and dry. Nightime temperatures typically in the 60s, with plenty of 50s scattered in, rarely above 70 (just 4x in 2023). The only major US cities with cooler summers than Buffalo are San Diego and San Francisco.
While it does get hot and humid up North, a huge difference is in the significant drops in temps at sundown, whereas in Florida, at 11PM it will still be hot and humid. And this is every single day, for 6 months straight.

Old 04-22-2024, 10:33 AM

268 posts, read 263,093 times
We have been living in FL for 18 years now and I have loved almost every day. I grew up and lived part of my adult life in an "up north"-like climate comparable to Pennsylvania in Europe with lots and lots of grey and gloomy days, and ice and snow in winter. I know exactly how the OP feels! In the old days I used to become depressed already in November thinking that I would have at least another 4 months or more ahead before I would see "the light" again.

That is why I appreciate Florida all year around! Yes, summers are hot but we have A/C. So the heat does not affect me much. I also do things outside in summer, it does not bother me.

Yes, the people here are friendly, especially here in the Orlando area. I always appreciate it! The vibe is very uplifting and happy!

Old Today, 03:52 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,262,338 times
In exactly two days the snowbirds should be heading out of here, leaving us full time residents with a wee bit of peace and quiet for a precious few months before the insanity starts all over again. I might even get to go to a beach again!

Old Today, 04:35 PM

4,485 posts, read 3,859,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post
We have been living in FL for 18 years now and I have loved almost every day. I grew up and lived part of my adult life in an "up north"-like climate comparable to Pennsylvania in Europe with lots and lots of grey and gloomy days, and ice and snow in winter. I know exactly how the OP feels! In the old days I used to become depressed already in November thinking that I would have at least another 4 months or more ahead before I would see "the light" again.

That is why I appreciate Florida all year around! Yes, summers are hot but we have A/C. So the heat does not affect me much. I also do things outside in summer, it does not bother me.

Yes, the people here are friendly, especially here in the Orlando area. I always appreciate it! The vibe is very uplifting and happy!

I am a native Floridian and I have the opposite seasonal affective disorder. I become depressed AF in April in Florida at the thought of the next 6-8 months of above 80 degree days............BLECH

Old Today, 06:58 PM

6,037 posts, read 3,749,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I am a native Floridian and I have the opposite seasonal affective disorder. I become depressed AF in April in Florida at the thought of the next 6-8 months of above 80 degree days............BLECH
I suppose that just proves that one man's hell is another man's paradise.

After playing three games of pickleball this morning, I came home and sat out in the sun for another 20 to 25 minutes. Love this 80+ degree weather.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida