Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM

6,037 posts, read 3,749,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Well I am 91 on my way out,lived in Lake City area for 25 years during its development and enjoyed my time in the last many years,with my free $75,000 exemption home owner taxes.
Age dictated my move back to TAX happy CT,I get to flush $5000 or more down the toilet each year with no elderly tax help.
I have seen 22 death's since returning.
My health care in later years superior to CT.
I do have crippled legs from Moderma booster shot Dec.2021.
All the best to you, Mr Dan. Sorry to hear of your physical problems from the vaccine.

Glad that you enjoyed your years in Florida. I know that when I make the occasional trip up north to my old home state that after a few days, I'm ready to return to the sunshine and fun in Florida. Every day here is like another vacation day. So far, I've been on vacation for nearly 22 years.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 04:41 AM

7,630 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The days are still shorter up north. Florida is closer to the equator. St. Augustine is "short" and Buffalo is "tall." Buffalo's nature is natural, whereas St. Augustine's nature is mostly man-made. At least the parts where you'll find people living in it. St. Augustine has a lot of "orange" colors and Spanish architecture, which gives it an overall "warm" feeling. Buffalo has a lot of grey trees, steel buildings, 1950's Art Deco architecture, giving it an overall "cool" feeling. Also this time of year, Buffalo is still at the very earliest moments of Spring; you might still encounter snow. In St. Augustine, Spring is almost over and the Love-bugs will bring in Summer before the month is over.

Lastly, you were on vacation. You had no day-to-day responsibilities while you were visiting for four days in a row. You came home and had to get back to whatever you consider your daily grind to be. So the novelty of a whole other climate, with completely different activities, in a totally different-looking location, hit you hard and is lingering even while you're already home.

Yeah, it's like having an affair versus being married. It's all good because it's not real life.

Old 04-17-2024, 04:54 AM

7,630 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Well I am 91 on my way out,lived in Lake City area for 25 years during its development and enjoyed my time in the last many years,with my free $75,000 exemption home owner taxes.
Age dictated my move back to TAX happy CT,I get to flush $5000 or more down the toilet each year with no elderly tax help.
I have seen 22 death's since returning.
My health care in later years superior to CT.
I do have crippled legs from Moderma booster shot Dec.2021.

I totally feel you on the taxes. Property taxes **** me off too.

I think I had at least a minor heart attack between vax #2 and #3. But, I guess they did the best they could with such a short timeframe.

Getting old is hell. If you have old injuries that arthritis kicks in and kills. I am only 61; I just cannot imagine my F'd up body with all the injuries going another 30 years. I just cannot imagine. YOU DESERVE TO BE GRUMPY SIR. HAVE A GOOD RANT ON US!!!

Old 04-17-2024, 05:43 AM

6,466 posts, read 3,160,332 times
I think that part of the problem is that the western NY area isn't as vibrant as it used to be. 30-40 years ago, there were a number of large corporations that had manufacturing facilities in the area, and these factories provided good paying jobs for their employees. In turn, the employees had plenty of discretionary income to spend, which propped up retail businesses in the area.

Commuting back and forth to and from work is somewhat of a drag, especially in the winter. But when you're doing it in a nice, fairly new car/truck, and living in a nice house, in a decent neighborhood, it certainly makes it all much more tolerable.

Unfortunately, over time, the economy has shifted, and some of that "shine" has worn off. And consequently, returning home after 4 days in sunny weather, looks a little gloomier. Personally, I went to Florida with a couple of friends, back in 1979. We weren't "spring breakers", we were just "20 somethings" looking for a break from work. Yes, it was certainly pleasant to get away from the snow and 20* weather, for a week, and walk the beaches. However, we didn't dread coming back home....

Old 04-17-2024, 07:19 AM

6,037 posts, read 3,749,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I think that part of the problem is that the western NY area isn't as vibrant as it used to be. 30-40 years ago, there were a number of large corporations that had manufacturing facilities in the area, and these factories provided good paying jobs for their employees. In turn, the employees had plenty of discretionary income to spend, which propped up retail businesses in the area.

Commuting back and forth to and from work is somewhat of a drag, especially in the winter. But when you're doing it in a nice, fairly new car/truck, and living in a nice house, in a decent neighborhood, it certainly makes it all much more tolerable.

Unfortunately, over time, the economy has shifted, and some of that "shine" has worn off. And consequently, returning home after 4 days in sunny weather, looks a little gloomier. Personally, I went to Florida with a couple of friends, back in 1979. We weren't "spring breakers", we were just "20 somethings" looking for a break from work. Yes, it was certainly pleasant to get away from the snow and 20* weather, for a week, and walk the beaches. However, we didn't dread coming back home....
When a person is young and still facing decades of work before retirement, then a trip to Florida is simply a vacation that temporarily relieves the drudgery of their work life. However, when a person is retired or near retirement age, a trip to Florida and all the enjoyment that can bring often causes the person to think that it could be relatively easy for them to make this temporary "fun" into PERMANENT fun.

Old 04-17-2024, 07:32 AM

3,581 posts, read 3,084,096 times
I have spent time staying with extended family in Florida (long-time residents), and I also spent many weeks/months working in Florida over the last 30 years. There is a HUGE difference between spending time in a place working/living versus vacation/visiting.

Without going into detail, my experiences, and those shared by family and co-workers, have clearly shown me that Florida isn't a paradise for everyone. No place is, really.

As far as adjusting back and forth, my snowbird relatives basically just stay in Florida until late April or May. However, every single one (so far) eventually ended up moving back to Buffalo full time as they got older, either due to rising expenses, health issues, to be closer to friends and family, and sometimes because traveling back and forth just wasn't worth the effort. For many/most of us, Buffalo is always "home" even after being away for decades. I can count at least a dozen friends and relatives who moved away but eventually moved back, mostly working age but also retirees.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:42 AM

5,494 posts, read 3,936,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
It all seems great when you are down here for a week. Totally different when you move here. The people aren't as friendly, a lot of them have demons they are dealing with.
That's fair, but I mean, the 'wrestling with demons' thing is true of people everywhere to some degree. Where I live, the weather and inner-city poverty are sources of ample demons to be wrestled with, and those are just two sources of adversity in people's lives. Given the Florida Man trope, I expected to see a strange behavioral display or two, but I really didn't. The closest thing would've been a guy around my age (I'm 37) who was riding his bike near the campus of Flagler College in St Augustine blaring music at 11 AM and yelling at the minivan driver in front of him for taking too long to make his turn. But that was minor (and also kind of entertaining). The drivers were fine, people in public were fine. I was staying in an AirBnB (and a really nice one at that--look up 10 N St Augustine Blvd on Google Maps) with parents, brother, uncle, aunt, cousin, but I went out to a bar by myself on Saturday night, and it was a typical bar scene, pretty tame ultimately. I see strange behavior on the regular in Buffalo given that I like to drink and keep late hours, so I don't get too fazed by low-level disorderly conduct as it is.

I will say that I wouldn't have blamed people for lashing out while navigating the Orlando airport--had no idea that place was so expansive

Old 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
You are coming out of a really gray and kind of depressing time of year in Western NY. January to March often seemed endless. It’s not really as bad when the snow is falling but when the snowbanks turn dirty and mushy plus the sky is overcast day after day. I get it.

However, once Spring comes along with summer it really does improve. I had to escape the heat of FL in July or August as you either lived in A/C or stayed in the pool to be comfortable.

I do agree that the colors of FL architecture/landscaping are brighter and the sky is bluer which can elevate your mood.
Yeah, today and the following two days are predicted to be completely overcast in WNY. Over the past few years, I feel like I've developed a relatively severe case of seasonal affective, or perhaps something a bit different, in that my aversion to grey days is not confined to the winter. Buffalo is one of the cloudiest cities in the continental US, and weather is something I always find myself worrying about to some degree. Friend of mine who moved to Arlington VA once remarked to me, 'Nobody in DC thinks about the weather.' Overgeneralization, but I got the point.

I'll be in Buffalo till the end of the summer (though I am planning on a June trip to Vegas to play in a World Series of Poker event), but my experience in Florida has me considering snowbirding in 2024-2025 at the ripe old age of 38 (I'll have turned 38 by then)

Old 04-17-2024, 10:01 AM

4,485 posts, read 3,859,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
My question is basically this: how do those of you who aren't year-round residents of Florida cope with 'post-Florida depression'? I just got back 'up north' from a long weekend in St Augustine (my cousin got married there), and though it's a decent day in Buffalo today weather-wise (60 and sunny), it's not exactly the cloudless mid-70s perfection I experienced over the past four days. But the difference runs deeper than weather, of course. People were friendlier. There were more places to go. The architecture of the city of St Augustine specifically was terrific. People of all ages seemed to be enjoying life, with relatively few exceptions from what I could tell. I come back up here, note the relative dullness of my area, and it hits me harder than it did previously. I hadn't been to the state of Florida in over 20 years, and I'd never been to St Augustine, so I never really had an appreciation for how good life could be down there, even if only over a four-day span. Also, let it just be said that I am not a Republican, and in recent years I've allowed politics to color my view of the state. But that seems to have been a massive mistake on my part, as day-to-day life at the beach isn't affected much (if at all) by people's political leanings. And, as mentioned earlier in the post, my interactions down there were all positive, anyway.

So, my question is aimed at seasonal residents or frequent visitors: how do you adjust back to 'real life' once you return to your hometown? I'm feeling legitimately depressed today and could use some guidance if anyone has any. Thanks

I'll give you five ways to adjust, plus a bonus number 6:

1. Beef on Weck
2. Sponge Candy
3. Chicken Wings
4. Buffalo Style Pizza (CUP AND CHAR)
5. Spaghetti Parm

None of which are MADE WELL in Florida!!!!!! Buffalo has THE BEST food, including access to the best grocery store: Wegmans (NUMBER 6), where you can get roast beef for your sandwich sliced from PRIME AMERICAN or JAPANESE WAGYU ROAST (you'll never find that in Fla)! And since I'm feeling extra gracious today I'll even give you a number 7: BAGELS. Buffalo has THE BEST BAGELS.

No I am not from Buffalo. No I am not from NY. I am a NATIVE Floridian born and raised. But I have been to Buffalo and eaten your food. And it's outstanding. Even your supermarket bagels are better than anything at Publix!

Old 04-17-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I'll give you five ways to adjust, plus a bonus number 6:

1. Beef on Weck
2. Sponge Candy
3. Chicken Wings
4. Buffalo Style Pizza (CUP AND CHAR)
5. Spaghetti Parm

None of which are MADE WELL in Florida!!!!!! Buffalo has THE BEST food, including access to the best grocery store: Wegmans (NUMBER 6), where you can get roast beef for your sandwich sliced from PRIME AMERICAN or JAPANESE WAGYU ROAST (you'll never find that in Fla)! And since I'm feeling extra gracious today I'll even give you a number 7: BAGELS. Buffalo has THE BEST BAGELS.

No I am not from Buffalo. No I am not from NY. I am a NATIVE Floridian born and raised. But I have been to Buffalo and eaten your food. And it's outstanding. Even your supermarket bagels are better than anything at Publix!
Hah, appreciated. I just got back from lunch at #6! Wegmans has good enough prepared food that I often just stop there for lunch. Your list is a good one. As for #7, I've never been much of a bagel person, but you may have inspired me to expand my horizons a bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida