Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 11:02 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,939,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
22 deaths of people you knew? Over what I assume is a short span of time...brutal. Best of luck, hope you can find some contentment in Connecticut despite all that
there is no contetment in CT,all my family gone,my wifes and my wife from2016-2400
AS said grounded since Dec 2021,homebound,my daughter is my driver and caregiver,put house and every thing in trust account for her,not much to live for,kind of ironic,one friend left same age as me,91,crippled and in wheelchair in another county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 11:32 AM

17,541 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I'll give you five ways to adjust, plus a bonus number 6:

1. Beef on Weck
2. Sponge Candy
3. Chicken Wings
4. Buffalo Style Pizza (CUP AND CHAR)
5. Spaghetti Parm

None of which are MADE WELL in Florida!!!!!! Buffalo has THE BEST food, including access to the best grocery store: Wegmans (NUMBER 6), where you can get roast beef for your sandwich sliced from PRIME AMERICAN or JAPANESE WAGYU ROAST (you'll never find that in Fla)! And since I'm feeling extra gracious today I'll even give you a number 7: BAGELS. Buffalo has THE BEST BAGELS.

No I am not from Buffalo. No I am not from NY. I am a NATIVE Floridian born and raised. But I have been to Buffalo and eaten your food. And it's outstanding. Even your supermarket bagels are better than anything at Publix!
In case you are interested, there is a pizza joint here in Lakeland where the owners are from Buffalo and they have beef on weck and buffalo cup and char style pizza. I haven't been, but those who have think it is delicious. They might have the other things on your list as well. It is called That 716 Pizza Joint.

Check out their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/716pizza/

Old 04-17-2024, 11:34 AM

4,485 posts, read 3,859,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
In case you are interested, there is a pizza joint here in Lakeland where the owners are from Buffalo and they have beef on weck and buffalo cup and char style pizza. I haven't been, but those who have think it is delicious. They might have the other things on your list as well. It is called That 716 Pizza Joint.
Ohhhhhhhhhh???? I will have to go try it! Thx for the tip.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Hah, appreciated. I just got back from lunch at #6! Wegmans has good enough prepared food that I often just stop there for lunch. Your list is a good one. As for #7, I've never been much of a bagel person, but you may have inspired me to expand my horizons a bit
I defrosted a frozen bagel from the Wegmans bakery this morning (purchased in Feb) and it's literally better than ANY FRESH BAGEL available in Tampa Bay. Just divine. And yes, Wegmans has the best prepared foods, it's like a giant restaurant hall.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:40 AM

14,957 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yeah, it's like having an affair versus being married. It's all good because it's not real life.
I dunno about that. I moved after graduate school to FL in 1976 and have lived in FL ever since. Certainly felt like real life to me, with its share of ups and downs over the years as I worked, met and married my soulmate and raised a family here. Kind of feels like a permanent vacation now that we are both retired, being more or less able to set own schedules, pursue our interests, and having enough money to do so. If it's not life, I don't know what is.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah, today and the following two days are predicted to be completely overcast in WNY. Over the past few years, I feel like I've developed a relatively severe case of seasonal affective, or perhaps something a bit different, in that my aversion to grey days is not confined to the winter. Buffalo is one of the cloudiest cities in the continental US, and weather is something I always find myself worrying about to some degree. Friend of mine who moved to Arlington VA once remarked to me, 'Nobody in DC thinks about the weather.' Overgeneralization, but I got the point.

I'll be in Buffalo till the end of the summer (though I am planning on a June trip to Vegas to play in a World Series of Poker event), but my experience in Florida has me considering snowbirding in 2024-2025 at the ripe old age of 38 (I'll have turned 38 by then)

Regarding the sunshine. Florida sunshine is overrated. As I said in a prior post, I am a native Floridian born and raised, and when I have lived out of Florida for long periods (including in cloudy cold Northern climes with snow etc), I did not miss the sunshine. I missed my family, and that was IT. The sun in Florida has many drawbacks, including sweat, sunburn, heat stroke, cancer, wrinkles, and many others. You wanna know why Florida is so car-dependent and lacking in walkable areas? Because 8 months of the year it's impossible to walk anywhere without being scorched to death. People in Florida go from AC in their homes to AC in their cars and vice versa between now and late October. I try to stay OUT of the sun in Florida as much as humanly possible, and I do not go ONE DAY without slathering on SPF 50 all over myself. Growing up in Florida, or spending all year long in Florida for years, can have an opposite reaction; it can make you wanna never see the sun AGAIN! It's just too much. Relentless sunshine every day, blech. I envy those who live in Seattle at this point! But my family is not in Seattle.

I am not the only one. People move to Florida every year and decide the relentless sun, heat and humidity is not for them, and they leave.

For Floridians, there is also the trauma of living through many hurricanes and tropical storms and floods. Some people can't take that garbage either. Trust me, when you go through a storm and you don't have electricity (AIR CONDITIONING) for weeks, the LAST THING you want to see is the sun.

I realize this all sounds super negative. There's many gazillions of people who love sunshine and Florida weather and think hurricanes are just dandy. But it's not all unicorns and ice cream cones for many others, and there are drawbacks to so much sun.

That said, I think your snowbirding idea is a good one!

Last edited by sinatras; 04-17-2024 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-17-2024, 04:26 PM

17,226 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Regarding the sunshine. Florida sunshine is overrated. As I said in a prior post, I am a native Floridian born and raised, and when I have lived out of Florida for long periods (including in cloudy cold Northern climes with snow etc), I did not miss the sunshine. I missed my family, and that was IT. The sun in Florida has many drawbacks, including sweat, sunburn, heat stroke, cancer, wrinkles, and many others. You wanna know why Florida is so car-dependent and lacking in walkable areas? Because 8 months of the year it's impossible to walk anywhere without being scorched to death. People in Florida go from AC in their homes to AC in their cars and vice versa between now and late October. I try to stay OUT of the sun in Florida as much as humanly possible, and I do not go ONE DAY without slathering on SPF 50 all over myself. Growing up in Florida, or spending all year long in Florida for years, can have an opposite reaction; it can make you wanna never see the sun AGAIN! It's just too much. Relentless sunshine every day, blech. I envy those who live in Seattle at this point! But my family is not in Seattle.

I am not the only one. People move to Florida every year and decide the relentless sun, heat and humidity is not for them, and they leave.

For Floridians, there is also the trauma of living through many hurricanes and tropical storms and floods. Some people can't take that garbage either. Trust me, when you go through a storm and you don't have electricity (AIR CONDITIONING) for weeks, the LAST THING you want to see is the sun.

I realize this all sounds super negative. There's many gazillions of people who love sunshine and Florida weather and think hurricanes are just dandy. But it's not all unicorns and ice cream cones for many others, and there are drawbacks to so much sun.

That said, I think your snowbirding idea is a good one!
I'll admit that at times this is how I feel about the Florida sun too. We are in mid-April. I just walked from my Downtown Orlando Office to Publix and back, and the sun was scorching hot. Not very pleasant to get your office clothes drenches in sweat following a short walk to grab some lunch.
Compare this to NYC where I was just a few weeks ago, where I comfortably walked miles through Manhattan with no issues.

I don't mind the Florida sun when I am out for a jog or something, dressed for the occasion and expecting to sweat profusely, but leaving the house well-groomed, well-dressed, smelling like your favorite expensive cologne, only to return a few hours later disheveled and smelly isn/t exactly an enjoyable experience. I often use the Sunrail here, and I know it's not just me. During the morning commute, the train smells like a clean hotel lobby. In the evening, it smells like a men's gym locker room.

Old 04-17-2024, 06:28 PM

25,792 posts, read 12,849,279 times
OP...make plans to live in FLA 6 months + 1 day to be a resident, & avoid state income tax or death taxes.

Live where you want the rest of the year. Work towards that plan. Just having a plan, & working the plan will make you feel better.

Also, come back down to FLA whenever you can to search for areas you like most. I did that for ~ 20 years.

I went to college in FLA, then left after graduation to return "home" to St. Louis to find a job, & start my career w/ a Fortune 500.

I knew I'd return to FLA when possible, so kept going back and looking...spent every vacation in FLA...looking.

After saving $ for 5 years, I decided to quit, & return to FLA w/o a job. I had enough cash to last 1 year, & several college pals who stayed after graduation, & found jobs in FLA in Medical Sales...so I had contacts in Boca Raton.

My Fortune 500 boss in St. Louis said before he'd accept my resignation, he wanted to make some calls, to see if there were any job openings in FLA for me. 1 week later, I was living & working in Tampa for the same Fortune 500....a lateral career move, but I made it back to FLA.

This is only the 1st chapter in my book though, but this post has reached its limit. I'll return later to tell you how I left FLA a 2nd time, & how it took me 20+ years to get back the next time.

Having left FLA twice, I know very well how you feel right now. Make your plan.

Old 04-17-2024, 09:02 PM

5,494 posts, read 3,936,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
OP...make plans to live in FLA 6 months + 1 day to be a resident, & avoid state income tax or death taxes.

Live where you want the rest of the year. Work towards that plan. Just having a plan, & working the plan will make you feel better.

Also, come back down to FLA whenever you can to search for areas you like most. I did that for ~ 20 years.

I went to college in FLA, then left after graduation to return "home" to St. Louis to find a job, & start my career w/ a Fortune 500.

I knew I'd return to FLA when possible, so kept going back and looking...spent every vacation in FLA...looking.

After saving $ for 5 years, I decided to quit, & return to FLA w/o a job. I had enough cash to last 1 year, & several college pals who stayed after graduation, & found jobs in FLA in Medical Sales...so I had contacts in Boca Raton.

My Fortune 500 boss in St. Louis said before he'd accept my resignation, he wanted to make some calls, to see if there were any job openings in FLA for me. 1 week later, I was living & working in Tampa for the same Fortune 500....a lateral career move, but I made it back to FLA.

This is only the 1st chapter in my book though, but this post has reached its limit. I'll return later to tell you how I left FLA a 2nd time, & how it took me 20+ years to get back the next time.

Having left FLA twice, I know very well how you feel right now. Make your plan.
Looking forward to part two. The 20 years of scouting is an amazing amount of patience. I play cards for a living so I could theoretically move there tomorrow, but I've got family commitments for the time being, plus I enjoy Buffalo summers. Waiting 6 months seems a lot more doable than 240 months, lol

Old 04-17-2024, 09:59 PM

7,630 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
there is no contetment in CT,all my family gone,my wifes and my wife from2016-2400
AS said grounded since Dec 2021,homebound,my daughter is my driver and caregiver,put house and every thing in trust account for her,not much to live for,kind of ironic,one friend left same age as me,91,crippled and in wheelchair in another county.

I think you have your daughter to live for. However, if you have some fatal enough disease you can justify having yourself euthanized (must be terminally ill). I live in a state where it is legal. If you are not terminally ill you probably need some help with pain. I take 4 extra strength Tylenol twice a day and it really takes an edge off the chronic pain from all the arthritis due to injuries. I know people that get injections into their backs for their spinal pain. There's hot baths, massage and then there's prescription drugs.. There's a lot you can do to keep yourself more comfortable. I am not signed up with a pain management clinic (because I know it's going to get worse and I hate taking drugs).

Have your daughter drop you off at the local senior center for a few hours a day (or there's probably transportation they will pick you up and drop you home again). Lots of resources for seniors in every community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida