Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 11:53 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,192,672 times

Advertisements

If it’s off Lake Carol Drive in WPB, it’s a no brainer. Take the turnpike to Okeechobee Blvd. & go west.

I’ve taken I-95 to Okeechobee heading west and by the time I reached the turnpike I thought I had aged 5 years, between the lights and the traffic. Was not worth it to try to save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 11:56 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
If it’s off Lake Carol Drive in WPB, it’s a no brainer. Take the turnpike to Okeechobee Blvd. & go west.

I’ve taken I-95 to Okeechobee heading west and by the time I reached the turnpike I thought I had aged 5 years, between the lights and the traffic. Was not worth it to try to save money.
Thank you!

Yes, off Lake Carol Drive and I do recall Okeechobee as a major thoroughfare that I will be on to get there so you are spot on. Turnpike it is!

Thanks again, very appreciated.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:07 PM

16,581 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Turnpike equals more Troopers to pull you over in more places vs. I-95
Turnpike equals more money since I-95 is free
Turnpike equals less lanes for most of the drive than I-95
Turnpike equals less places to stop for food/gas than I-95

So unless your destination is fairly far west, I-95 is a no-brainer.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:18 PM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You can safely do 75mph, even 80, without getting pulled over on the Turnpike. On I-95, chances are you'll be stuck at 30 for extended periods of time. Maybe less.

Quote:
They'll have to take tolls to get from MCO to I-95 anyway. Plus the high likelihood of idling in traffic on I-95 means more wasted gas, in addition to time.

Quote:
There isn't much traffic on the Turnpike. 2 lanes each way running through those wildlife preserves works fine.

Quote:
Ample food/gas/rest stops on the Turnpike. Certainly enough for 99.999% of drivers, I'm sure.

Quote:

Did you read OP's posts?

Old 03-28-2024, 08:22 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:

Have you glanced at a map? I95 is likely 35 miles east of MCO. You could easily add an hour to your trip going that far out. Guy is driving a rental car with likely a full tank on a four hour trip (food/gas stops are irrelevant).

Old 03-28-2024, 08:40 AM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I'll be driving from Orlando to West Palm Beach on a Wednesday afternoon in mid April. Leaving Orlando at 1ish. Then driving back on a Friday morning from West Palm Beach to Orlando, leaving WPB at 10am ish.

Is it better to take I95 or the Turnpike? I hear the Turnpike is more expensive due to tolls but is better due to traffic but for that time of day, does it make a difference. I will not be in a hurry but am not fond of lots of traffic either.

Thanks.
Turnpike is the fastest... I95 will save you some $, but not a lot.

Old 03-29-2024, 12:17 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Not a Florida resident here but from Orlando area I would definitely take the Turnpike over I-95. If you were starting somewhere further east of Orlando then maybe I-95, but from Orlando you're going to pay to get to I-95 anyway then you have to use I-95.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:31 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Before this weekend I would have voted for the Florida Turnpike. I drive from Miami to Stuart about once a month and always take the turnpike and it's been fine until this weekend. I drove from Miami to Stuart yesterday about noon and back to Miami today about 6pm and both trips had about a 45 minute slowdown near the Palm Beach Service Plaza where the road construction is (they were not working this weekend). Yesterday there was a 2 car fender bender off to the side of the road but today there was no apparent reason for the traffic slowdown. There couldhave been congestion this weekend since this area of the turnpike is only 2 lanes each way and there are traffic cones and signs alerting people to possible construction? Maybe I experienced this because this was a holiday weekend? Maybe 1 time in a couple of years is just an anomoly?

Good luck OP, let us know which route you took and how your drive was.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:01 AM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Before this weekend I would have voted for the Florida Turnpike. I drive from Miami to Stuart about once a month and always take the turnpike and it's been fine until this weekend. I drove from Miami to Stuart yesterday about noon and back to Miami today about 6pm and both trips had about a 45 minute slowdown near the Palm Beach Service Plaza where the road construction is (they were not working this weekend). Yesterday there was a 2 car fender bender off to the side of the road but today there was no apparent reason for the traffic slowdown. There couldhave been congestion this weekend since this area of the turnpike is only 2 lanes each way and there are traffic cones and signs alerting people to possible construction? Maybe I experienced this because this was a holiday weekend? Maybe 1 time in a couple of years is just an anomoly?

Good luck OP, let us know which route you took and how your drive was.
Yeah I had to drive up and down the stupid stretch because my son is playing in the GA sup (soccer.) Ugh... This weekend was HORRIBLE.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:06 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,192,672 times
Yes, it’s definitely pick your poison since there’s not as many exits on the turnpike, compared to I-95. I took the turnpike down from Gainesville to Weston about two weeks ago and the aggravation started just north of WPB. So I know exactly how you all feel.

However, what makes the turnpike a better choice for the OP is that driving from the Orlando Airport to I-95 is still a toll road and could add as much as 30 minutes to the drive. And then driving down I-95 to the OP’s ultimate destination in WPB will add another 20 to 25 minutes going west on Okeechobee compared to maybe 10 minutes, if that, from the Turnpike since it’s much, much closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida