Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times

Advertisements

We will be driving a moving truck and a car from NoVA to Maine in one day. Will taking I95 through Baltimore to Delaware, then using New Jersey Turnpike around the Philadelphia area help us reduce our travel time on a Sunday morning? Or should we take I78 (truck route) through Allentown, then get on I287 in New Jersey?

We've never used New Jersey Turnpike, but with a moving truck we need to drive the most efficient route (time and fuel-wise) possible. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 AM

947 posts, read 1,401,179 times
NoVA to Maine in one day? That's going to be a very long day, especially if you're going someplace on the Maine coast where you have to get off of I-95 and onto U.S. Route 1.

Anyway, as to your question: when my wife and I go to the metro NYC area from NoVA, we have been using the Rt. 15 to I-81 to I-80 to I-287 route vice the horrendous drive up I-95. I can tell you that to the metro NYC area, this interior route through Pennsylvania will be one hour and 50-60 miles more than I-95. If you want to really avoid the congestion in the greater NYC metro area, though, you might want to consider taking I-81 to Scranton and picking up I-84 there, which will cross the Hudson about 60 miles north of NYC and then take you into Connecticut and Massachusetts.

My only caveat is that if the weather is bad (rain and low clouds), the mountainous section of I-81 in Pennsylvania for the 30 miles before Hazelton can get socked in by really, really bad fog. In that case, I'd take I-78 to Rt. 287 to the NYS Thruway and then I-84.

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I don't know the answer, but I wanted to say GOOD LUCK and BEST WISHES! Have a safe trip, and I hope Maine is everything you're seeking.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:11 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I would agree that going to Scranton and to I-84 can save congestion time in NYC. Even on a Sunday, the Hudson River crossings can be brutal in the afternoon, and then you have to traverse the Cross Bronx Expressway, and I-95 in Southern Connecticut, which are not always the easiest to do with a truck if there's traffic. I avoid the Cross Bronx at all costs, save for the overnight/very early morning, because there's always traffic and the roadway was not well designed.

If you do decide to take the NJ Turnpike, you can also take 295 in South Jersey that roughly parallels the Turnpike to Trenton. You can then take 195 from Trenton to get back to the NJ Turnpike, which is a short distance. This can save on tolls, and is not far out of the way. Also, at some times of day, the Turnpike can be jammed, and 295 is free-flowing. I don't think that would be your case on a Sunday morning, however.

287 will allow you to cross the Tappan Zee Bridge, which can make for a much easier drive, using the Cross Westchester Expressway to reach I-95N to Conneticut, or 684N to 84, which I find easier than 95 along the coast.

If you were to leave the DC area very early on a Sunday morning, say around 5-6am, you should not encounter any major delay on the NJ Turnpike; and, if traveling through NYC, you would also not encounter major delays in the morning, via the George Washington Bridge (upper deck only with a truck). I would recommend keeping breaks to a minimum on that leg of the journey. One caveat, if you are making the drive through NYC during baseball season, check the schedule, since if there's an afternoon home game for the Yankees, it is likely that the GWB approaches in NJ and the Cross Bronx, until you clear the Deegan, will have very heavy traffic.

Good luck and have a safe trip to Maine.

ETA: You will maximize fuel economy on the Turnpike or 295, owing to the relatively flat terrain. The route to Scranton with the hills, will cost time and fuel, in addition to the extra mileage time and fuel.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-27-2011 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 01:59 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Congratulations, Fern! I know you've wanted to make this move for a long time. What a pretty time of year to be moving to Maine. I hope everything goes smoothly.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:13 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
Thank you for the suggestions, ICS67 and bmwguydc. And a big *Thank You* for the kind wishes, normie and Caladium. I know I haven't been an enthusiastic sweetheart here on the NoVA forum. We're looking forward to Maine.

It sounds like the New Jersey Turnpike may not be a good choice, even with an early start on a Sunday morning. If it won't significantly reduce the time it takes to drive up to New England, we'll stick with one of the routes that ICS67 mentioned.

Driving in the vast western states (like Montana, South Dakota, or Nebraska) seems a lot simpler and more serene to me!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:28 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,048 times
I've done this drive as far as southern New England many times. If tolls are not an issue, then I-95 is definitely the most direct. The only divergence I would recommend is avoid NYC by connecting with the Garden State Pkwy at Woodbridge, NJ and cross the Hudson on the Tappan Zee Bridge, then connect with the CT Tnpke (I-95) via White Plains (I-287). The PA route is certainly more scenic, much cheaper on tolls, and less stressful, but as another poster mentioned it's about an hour longer. You can also circumvent the Providence and Boston urban areas by connecting with I-395 from New London to Worcester, then connect to I-495 to I-95 again. Oh, and fill up on the Jersey Tp whether your near empty or not. Even though there's no self service permitted by law, the gas is usually considerably cheaper there than surrounding states.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:52 AM

509 posts, read 974,161 times
I agree with bmwguydc as far as I-295 vs the NJ Turnpike. My parents live west of Trenton and I can take either I-295 or the NJ Turnpike to get to them, as they are off of I-195 halfway between its intersections with those two roads. In my experience I find I-295 to be the more relaxing drive with less traffic than the NJ Turnpike.

Going into NY, definitely take the Tappan Zee Bridge vs. staying on I-95 which takes you across the George Washington Bridge and then it can be very congested on the NY side.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:59 AM

186 posts, read 488,135 times
I have done the NOVA to NYC/CT many times over the last 15 years.
Yes the GWB and Cross Bronx can be congested, but in the spring/summer months the Tappen Zee can also back up I have sat across the entire length in traffic. 95N in Ct to Boston also get heavy in the spring/summer months

I suggest 3 things:
1. GPS so you can change routes if need be
2. E-Z Pass which will itself cut time off your trip
3. lots of time to make the trip !

Good Luck and safe travels

Old 03-28-2011, 07:17 AM

947 posts, read 1,401,179 times
[quote=statecollege;18469769]I've done this drive as far as southern New England many times. If tolls are not an issue, then I-95 is definitely the most direct. The only divergence I would recommend is avoid NYC by connecting with the Garden State Pkwy at Woodbridge, NJ and cross the Hudson on the Tappan Zee Bridge, then connect with the CT Tnpke (I-95) via White Plains (I-287).

There may be one problem with this suggestion, though. You mentioned you would be driving a moving van and a car. According to the website of the Garden State Parkway, trucks registered at 10,000 pounds or more (six tires and three or more axles) are prohibited north of Interchange 105, which basically means the whole northern half of the Parkway.

If in the interest of time and mileage you do want to take I-95/NJ Turnpike part of the way north from Virginia (rather than the route through Pennsylvania I mentioned earlier), you could still take the Turnpike as far north as its intersection with I-287 near New Brunswick, NJ, loop around on I-287 60 miles or so to the NY State Thruway, and then take the Thurway north 50 miles or so to its connection with I-84.

Sounds like you're in for a long day no matter which way you go, but hopefully there's a nice boiled lobster waiting for you at the end of the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia