Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should we go?
Daytona/Port Orange/NSB 12 63.16%
Miami 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 12:10 PM

162 posts, read 231,431 times

Advertisements

Good day, C-D friends.

I'm at the end of my rope with Southern California so we're ready to fly the coop and we're considering Florida because we have family there that can help us get set up.

Here's the info on us: I'm a writer/translator (remote work enabled, so not worried about job market) for a video game company, my wife works at Home Depot so she can transfer anywhere she wants without missing a beat, and we have two high-school age boys.

Points in the Daytona/Port Orange/NSB column:

• Our family is there, so it would be nice to have them nearby.
  • Cheap and relatively quiet, particularly in Port Orange from what I gather.
  • Uncrowded beaches, especially in New Smyrna.
  • Easy-going, suburban lifestyle.

Points in the Miami column:

• My wife is originally from Chile and is not great at English. She would like to be someplace where Spanish is commonly spoken.
  • EV charging is much easier to find, which is important because we have an electric car. (Insert California joke here...)
  • World-class city with all sorts of great amenities, sports (we're soccer fans, so Inter Miami with Messi is a big plus), diverse dining options, etc.

So with all of that info, where would native Floridians recommend we check out? We're open to just about anything so all suggestions are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 12:35 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
To offset the negatives of both options I would suggest more of a midpoint like around Port St Lucie. It incorporates the positives of the Daytona/Port Orange column (minus family nearby) with those of Miami, especially the Spanish-speaking component (Hispanics make up 25 % of the population and are primarily of Cuban descent). There are four Home Depots in the immediate area. InterMiami plays its home games in northwest Ft Lauderdale, which is a not terrible 90 minute drive. The beaches in PSL (primarily Jensen Beach) are beautiful and even less crowded than New Smyrna Beach where cars are allowed on the beach, which eliminates much of the "quiet" aspect in my opinion. It's roughly a two hour drive to Port Orange which is close enough perhaps?? Check out Jensen Beach proper if coastal housing is desired along with Stuart or Palm City. Tradition is a nice planned community in PSL just west of I-95 on the western edge, about 30 minutes from the beach. https://traditionfl.com/

Old 03-13-2024, 12:43 PM

137 posts, read 43,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
To offset the negatives of both options I would suggest more of a midpoint like around Port St Lucie. It incorporates the positives of the Daytona/Port Orange column (minus family nearby) with those of Miami, especially the Spanish-speaking component (Hispanics make up 25 % of the population and are primarily of Cuban descent). InterMiami plays its home games in northwest Ft Lauderdale, which is a not terrible 90 minute drive. The beaches in PSL (primarily Jensen Beach) are beautiful and even less crowded than New Smyrna Beach where cars are allowed on the beach, which eliminates much of the "quiet" aspect in my opinion. It's roughly a two hour drive to Port Orange which is close enough perhaps?? Check out Jensen Beach proper if coastal housing is desired along with Stuart or Palm City. Tradition is a nice planned community in PSL just west of I-95 on the western edge, about 30 minutes from the beach. https://traditionfl.com/
I agree with this. Daytona/NSB isn't going to have a heavy Spanish-speaking community.
Plus, with Port St Lucie, you're not only 90 minutes away from Inter Miami games, but also just a bit over that to Orlando City games... So you get the best of both worlds.

It's a fairly easy drive up to Port Orange too.

Old 03-13-2024, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 902 times
I lived in Daytona for 7 years. It's the perfect location because you are in central Florida. You are roughly an hour away from Orlando, 2 hours away from Tampa, an hour away from Jacksonville, and 3 hours away from Miami. There isn't a lot of traffic unless it's jeep week or spring break. It doesn't take long to get to the other side of town and no matter where you live in Daytona, you aren't far from the beach. I really like Ormond Beach. But Miami definitely has more Spanish speakers. I lived in Port St Lucie also and I didn't like it there.

Old 03-13-2024, 02:35 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
Good day, C-D friends.

I'm at the end of my rope with Southern California so we're ready to fly the coop and we're considering Florida because we have family there that can help us get set up.

Here's the info on us: I'm a writer/translator (remote work enabled, so not worried about job market) for a video game company, my wife works at Home Depot so she can transfer anywhere she wants without missing a beat, and we have two high-school age boys.

Points in the Daytona/Port Orange/NSB column:

• Our family is there, so it would be nice to have them nearby.
  • Cheap and relatively quiet, particularly in Port Orange from what I gather.
  • Uncrowded beaches, especially in New Smyrna.
  • Easy-going, suburban lifestyle.

Points in the Miami column:

• My wife is originally from Chile and is not great at English. She would like to be someplace where Spanish is commonly spoken.
  • EV charging is much easier to find, which is important because we have an electric car. (Insert California joke here...)
  • World-class city with all sorts of great amenities, sports (we're soccer fans, so Inter Miami with Messi is a big plus), diverse dining options, etc.

So with all of that info, where would native Floridians recommend we check out? We're open to just about anything so all suggestions are welcome!
Go with Miami, no contest given your post. I don't know your budget, but Coral Gables is a BEAUTIFUL area to live if you can afford it.

Daytona/Port Orange/NSB... is like living in a small town in Kansas that is on the ocean. Mostly small-town Caucasian population. Your wife will not be happy. Miami is sort of like a smaller version of Los Angeles, that has much more beautiful beaches and ocean.

Old 03-13-2024, 03:07 PM

266 posts, read 261,732 times
If you are looking for a place with lots and lots of Hispanics and you cannot afford Miami, I suggest the Orlando metro area. I am (non-Hispanic) European and my husband is Hispanic, and we are surrounded by Hispanics here in Orlando, no matter where we go. I speak more Spanish than English here (my choice), most Hispanics are completely bilingual.

You have a mixture of Hispanics here from all over Latin America, and I am sure your wife will find other Chileans here (I just saw several Facebook groups: Chilenos en Orlando, Chilenos en la Florida Central etc.). The largest community are Puerto Ricans but there are also large communities of Colombians, Venezuelans and Brazilians, as well as Peruvians, Ecuadorians, etc.
That is why you find entertainment "para todos los gustos" here, except maybe Cuban because most Cubans are in the Miami area. If you like salsa, this is the place to be! And you can choose your favorite flavor: Puerto Rican, Colombian or Venezuelan salsa.

We love it here!

Old 03-13-2024, 03:43 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
I'm at the end of my rope with Southern California
If that's the case, you probably won't like South Florida; but I guess that depends on what it is exactly that has you "at the end of your rope"...

Central Florida is becoming more Hispanic all the time, though it's unlikely that your wife will hear much Spanish in Daytona.

Old 03-13-2024, 07:38 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
I don’t recommend the Daytona Beach area for a number of reasons, but suffice it to say it’s just not a good place to live. Based on what you’ve said, I think Miami is your best option. Orlando would make for an interesting compromise, but may be unsatisfactory next to Miami.

Old 03-13-2024, 07:39 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
If you're coming from Southern California to FL seeking a coastal vibe, Orlando is not going to be great fit. Orlando is about as far from the coast as you can get in FL, requiring an hour or more of driving 75-80 mph to reach the beach, which doesn't make for a relaxing day or to make spur of the moment decisions to go to the beach. The majority Hispanic population in Orlando is Puerto Rican, the vast majority of whom are transplants from NY or NJ as well as direct from PR too. SE Florida is more diverse and in my opinion probably more likely an easier transition for her.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:01 PM

622 posts, read 400,285 times
In my opinion Port St. Lucie is a poor suggestion, especially if one is seeking to regularly attend pro sporting events in South Florida. The whole “only 90 mins away” talking point is under IDEAL conditions and let me tell you, once you cross into central Palm Beach County, the driving conditions are anything but ideal and keep in mind that’s 90 plus minutes EACH WAY - Now if PSL had secured the newly proposed Treasure Coast Brightline station, I’d have a slightly different opinion, but it went to Stuart, FL.

I speak from much experience - I’m a Dolphins, Marlins(half season), and Panthers season ticket holder with the best parking passes who lives in West Palm Beach and anyone telling you it’s smooth sailing getting in and out of these stadiums/arenas during game day either never goes and simply watches games on TV or they’re trying to sell you something.

If big city amenities are what you’re seeking, spend more money and live in South Florida. Port St. Lucie is an area for retirees, and young families priced out of South Florida - it really is that simple.

Last edited by silverct9a; 03-13-2024 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida