Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should we go?
Daytona/Port Orange/NSB 12 63.16%
Miami 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 04:28 PM

629 posts, read 400,285 times

Advertisements

Agreed.

This is just my opinion, but I think the OP got a wake up call on how it’s much more expensive here for desirable neighborhoods than originally thought considering he/she was throwing the word “cheap” around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Coral Gables:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

Sold 5 years ago for 25mm, now asking 57mm. Doesn't seem run down or seen better days!

1000 sq ft 2 bed/1 bath. Old Florida house asking 800K 74 yrs old but still a decent looking little house.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

That's basically the high to the low in Coral Gables real estate (single family homes/in Coral Gables).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 12:00 PM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
I used it once as an accurate descriptor of the Daytona area.

Believe me, when you're coming from California, "cheap" has an entirely different meaning
Whatever it means to you, there’s a reason, and often many more reasons, that cheap things in Florida are cheap.

You’re going to be living there, and dealing with the consequences, not me, so you may as well discontinue the arguing.

Old 03-19-2024, 02:22 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
What issues will there be in the rich areas?
crime and drugs.

Ft Lauderdale has had a rash of car and golf cart thefts.......why? Because people leave the keys in them!

You don't get rich robbing folks in the hood, you need to leave the hood and rob the rich people!

They actually have a new criminal statue: Out of county theft, meaning you travel outside your county to commit crimes.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:32 PM

So is this a Ft. Lauderdale problem or a common sense problem that location agnostic?

The previous Orlando poster made it seems like Orlando is some utopia that’s crime & drug free…I’m just seeking clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
crime and drugs.

Ft Lauderdale has had a rash of car and golf cart thefts.......why? Because people leave the keys in them!

You don't get rich robbing folks in the hood, you need to leave the hood and rob the rich people!

They actually have a new criminal statue: Out of county theft, meaning you travel outside your county to commit crimes.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:50 AM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
Quote:
Not very specific - drugs are everywhere. How is this only a problem in affluent neighborhoods in Miami? Are upscale areas of Orlando drug free?
Everywhere isn't a gateway for them like Miami. Orlando has much less affluence, much more middle class.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:37 PM

We certainly agree on the bolded portion; However, illicit drug use is a personal choice so I still don't get the correlation of location and drug use. If one desires engaging in drug use, it can be found anywhere. In fact I'd say small towns and suburbs are the ones abusing drugs more frequently (Meth, growhouses etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
Everywhere isn't a gateway for them like Miami. Orlando has much less affluence, much more middle class.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:44 PM

137 posts, read 43,609 times
Quote:
We certainly agree on the bolded portion; However, illicit drug use is a personal choice so I still don't get the correlation of location and drug use. If one desires engaging in drug use, it can be found anywhere. In fact I'd say small towns and suburbs are the ones abusing drugs more frequently (Meth, growhouses etc).
Poor people use meth.

Rich people use cocaine.

General consensus: If people desire engaging in drug use, they will find something they like, and use it.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:47 PM

Anecdotally I agree, but it's still generalizing - The previous poster makes it sound like because an area is affluent, it's flooded with drugs? What's he/she basing this on? Movies? Films? Word of mouth from a friend of a friend of a friend?

Can they provide any sort of unbiased data to support this claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbtoy7891 View Post
Poor people use meth.

Rich people use cocaine.

General consensus: If people desire engaging in drug use, they will find something they like, and use it.

Last edited by silverct9a; 03-21-2024 at 03:15 PM..

Old 03-21-2024, 02:57 PM

22 posts, read 3,923 times
In the Daytona/NSB column, if you're willing to go inland a little, I grew up in Orange City and went to school in Deltona. If you want an easygoing suburban lifestyle with Spanish-speaking neighbors, Deltona will do it for you. Most of my friends growing up were Puerto Rican. This also gets you about 30-40 minutes closer to the theme parks, if you're into that.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:46 PM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
So is this a Ft. Lauderdale problem or a common sense problem that location agnostic?

The previous Orlando poster made it seems like Orlando is some utopia that’s crime & drug free…I’m just seeking clarification.
It’s probably best not to deal in black and white extremes, or to respond to them at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida