Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should we go?
Daytona/Port Orange/NSB 12 63.16%
Miami 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 08:21 PM

266 posts, read 261,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you're coming from Southern California to FL seeking a coastal vibe, Orlando is not going to be great fit. Orlando is about as far from the coast as you can get in FL, requiring an hour or more of driving 75-80 mph to reach the beach, which doesn't make for a relaxing day or to make spur of the moment decisions to go to the beach. The majority Hispanic population in Orlando is Puerto Rican, the vast majority of whom are transplants from NY or NJ as well as direct from PR too. SE Florida is more diverse and in my opinion probably more likely an easier transition for her.
Yes, you are right, Orlando is not at the coast and not on the beach. But except Miami there is no other place in FL as good for Hispanics as Orlando. If the beach is more important to RG1981 than the Hispanic environment, Orlando is not the place.

We lived in Jacksonville for over 10 years before and the beach was fairly close for me. I love the beach but for me having a Hispanic environment and IMO good Latin entertainment is more important to me. It is easier for me to drive 1 hour to the beach during the day than drive 1-3 hours to Orlando at night for good entertainment. But that is my personal preference. It might be different for the OP.

If it is important to the OP's wife to be among other Hispanics and to find other Chileans she can socialize with, then living anywhere near the beach disconnects you from that environment and will make that very difficult. The only exception to that is Miami.

Most Puerto Ricans in the Orlando area come directly from Puerto Rico or were born here. Yes, there are also some Newyoricans (Puerto Ricans from NY and NJ) here but most Newyoricans live in the Fort Lauderdale area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 11:06 PM

835 posts, read 475,295 times
I see you using the word “cheap” a lot, OP, and I have to tell you, nothing in Florida is “cheap” whatsoever.

If you do find a bargain on anything, it’s because there’s probably a long list of drawbacks associated with it.

Old 03-14-2024, 03:34 AM

490 posts, read 517,577 times
Southeast Orlando.
- Lots of South Americans, I use Spanish daily.
- Have an electric charger installed at your house. There are still plenty of chargers in the area.
- Orlando City soccer.

Personally, I would never raise kids in Miami unless I had a lot of money to live in a suburb like Coral Gables

Old 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM

266 posts, read 261,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
Southeast Orlando.
- Lots of South Americans, I use Spanish daily.
-
Ditto. I also use Spanish whenever I step out of my house: at Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, supermarkets, doctor's offices, etc.
By the way, all patient forms at doctor's offices, clinics etc. are bilingual, i. e. in English and in Spanish. I don't know if that is like that in all of Florida or just in the Hispanic-heavy places.

Also, we have Hispanic supermarkets everywhere: Presidente, Sedano's, Thrifty's, Bravo, and others.

What I also enjoy tremendously is that I can listen to my favorite Latin music while driving. There are several Latin radio stations in this area: salsa (Viva FM Orlando), mixed Latin, Christian, Mexican, and probably more.

Of course, all of this applies to Miami also but not to most other places in FL. Certainly not to Daytona Beach. I think Daytona Beach is the total contrast to Miami and Orlando. I hear it has high crime, also it seems that you will be among white English-speaking people and will be far from anything Hispanic.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:06 AM

629 posts, read 402,311 times
Can you elaborate further on why you feel this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
Personally, I would never raise kids in Miami unless I had a lot of money to live in a suburb like Coral Gables

Old 03-14-2024, 10:10 AM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
In my opinion Port St. Lucie is a poor suggestion, especially if one is seeking to regularly attend pro sporting events in South Florida. The whole “only 90 mins away” talking point is under IDEAL conditions and let me tell you, once you cross into central Palm Beach County, the driving conditions are anything but ideal and keep in mind that’s 90 plus minutes EACH WAY - Now if PSL had secured the newly proposed Treasure Coast Brightline station, I’d have a slightly different opinion, but it went to Stuart, FL.

I speak from much experience - I’m a Dolphins, Marlins(half season), and Panthers season ticket holder with the best parking passes who lives in West Palm Beach and anyone telling you it’s smooth sailing getting in and out of these stadiums/arenas during game day either never goes and simply watches games on TV or they’re trying to sell you something.

If big city amenities are what you’re seeking, spend more money and live in South Florida. Port St. Lucie is an area for retirees, and young families priced out of South Florida - it really is that simple.
Apparently you don't realize Stuart borders Port St Lucie and was mentioned along with Palm City as options. It's just 10 miles from the center of Port St Lucie to Downtown Stuart where the Brightline station is located.

There's also the criteria of preferred closer proximity to family in the Daytona Beach area. The Port St Lucie area equalizes both sets of the OP's criteria as a reasonable compromise. There are plenty of younger families in the area that would make great friends potentially despite the lesser than assertion because they couldn't afford the Miami area, or chose not to spend that amount for necessary living expenses.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:11 AM

95 posts, read 83,479 times
Quote:
If you're coming from Southern California to FL seeking a coastal vibe, Orlando is not going to be great fit. Orlando is about as far from the coast as you can get in FL, requiring an hour or more of driving 75-80 mph to reach the beach, which doesn't make for a relaxing day or to make spur of the moment decisions to go to the beach. The majority Hispanic population in Orlando is Puerto Rican, the vast majority of whom are transplants from NY or NJ as well as direct from PR too. SE Florida is more diverse and in my opinion probably more likely an easier transition for her.
it's not the furthest, there's places that are further from the coast.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:22 AM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanGenious25 View Post
it's not the furthest, there's places that are further from the coast.
If you'll reread my post, clearly that's not what I said.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:53 AM

490 posts, read 517,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Can you elaborate further on why you feel this way?
Miami is either very rich or very poor, not much of a middle class. In the poor areas, there are a lot of issues. Even in the rich areas there will be some issues, although much safer.

Old 03-14-2024, 11:11 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
OP would you or have you considered Tampa? This is a heavily hispanic city that goes way back. My grandparents came from Spain, and there are many Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans and South Americans. Outside of Miami, the most heavily Latino city by far in Florida. Also, many sports teams here. I'll let others fill you in on that. Tampa is on the bay and has no beaches but definitely coastal and an easy drive to the Pinellas side for those beautiful beaches. Not cheap, but probably cheaper than Miami.

I do not recommend Daytona for you at all. Your wife will hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida