Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 07:55 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,348,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/fl...0being%20taxed.

Initially, just $100k of value, or $250k for 65+ers, and replacing the lost revenue w/ a consumption tax.

But also study eliminating ALL property taxes, & replacing them w/ consumption taxes.

This shifts more tax burden from homeowner & residents, & onto tourists, & part-timers.
Which is dumb! Tourism supports this state along with part-time residents. If they for example decide to take cruises or visit other states like Hawaii or snowbird to other states then that's a big loss.

I'd rather pay my small property tax on my house than paying 15 percent or so sales tax. wait until you purchase a car!

DONT want to put the burden on snowbirds and tourists. That in turn hurts small business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 07:59 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,348,166 times
Quote:
I think some goals of this are to:

-Lower the overall tax load for Florida residents who own their homes.

-Lower the cost of home ownership for new familes, low-income families, & retirees on fixed incomes.

-Simplify tax collections. The Property tax system is complex & onerous. Rather than 10M homeowners paying taxes, it could be cut to 35k retailers.

-Shift more tax burden to tourists/visitors who use our infrastructure w/o paying enough. Tourist taxes are insufficent.
I'm not a rich man, but if property taxes on a 3 bed home are a make and break for you financially you're not financially fit to be owning a home in the first place.

Like I was looking at coastal TX to move to maybe outside of Houston due to I could buy a house in all cash, younger area and would be better earnings wise for me. TX seems a bit higher with property taxes but I don't mind paying that with cheaper housing prices, higher wages and better for my business and overall lower cost on stuff.

Old 02-11-2024, 08:59 PM

24,003 posts, read 15,096,054 times
No wonder everybody moves to Fl.

Property taxes in the Harris county area run 2.5-3.5 depending on the community amenities. Sales taxes in Dallas and Houston run 8.25. There are exemptions. And the state just added a higher exemption from the appraised value. Sounds like Fl is way less on taxes. maybe they need low or no property taxes so the can pay the insurance if they can find any.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:09 AM

580 posts, read 305,510 times
Quote:
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/fl...0being%20taxed.

Initially, just $100k of value, or $250k for 65+ers, and replacing the lost revenue w/ a consumption tax.

But also study eliminating ALL property taxes, & replacing them w/ consumption taxes.

This shifts more tax burden from homeowner & residents, & onto tourists, & part-timers.
What funds things when tourism and conventions go else where due to higher taxes on them?

Old 02-12-2024, 05:14 AM

25,771 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
"Consumption tax" is not the same thing as "tourism tax."

Consumption taxes are imposed on everyone, not just people who rent short-term or visit Disney World. As others have already mentioned up-thread, Florida has a 6% sales tax. Various parts of the state have 1-2% additional tax, and there is an additional tax on hotels and short-term rentals.

A consumption tax would be tax in addition to THOSE taxes - on things like - McDonald's. A 5-pound bag of flour at Publix. Your shoes. Emergency services. Schools, both public and private. Consumption tax is a tax on goods and services. EVERYONE would pay it, on top of what they're already paying. Including people who are low-income and already living on a budget. It is basically a punishment tax for the poor, and a nothingberder for the wealthy.
Look big picture. A consumption tax will increase taxes on tourists...especially snow birds.

Instead of just being taxed on rental cars, hotels, VRBO's < 1 month, airport fees, they'll be taxed on every $ they spend.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:31 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Increasing property taxes doesn't affect tenants in apartment buildings by much. Income tax doesn't affect anyone who isn't working. Sales tax adversely affects people who are least able to afford to pay for it. Luxury tax just drives people to buy their luxury items in another state. Motor vehicle tax only affects people with motor vehicles, and adversely affects people who most need their cars but can least afford to pay an extra tax on them.

So what's the solution? There's no "solution." However, the people who can -most- afford to pay a tax, in order for the state to get what it needs, should not be provided write-offs and bonus deductions and massive tax breaks, just for the privilege of being - privileged. Removing or reducing those tax breaks won't "solve" the problem but it will reduce it, without causing harm to anyone else.

Can you enumerate the Florida tax breaks and write offs for the privileged you clearly believe is in place?

Yes...Property taxes affect renters. I have rental properties and all carrying costs for the property is passed on to the tenant in the form of rent.

I'm retired, do not work and pay plenty of income taxes. Welfare recipients do not... not the same thing.

Taxes affect everyone, however the poor are adversely affected by taxes. Even so Florida is a low tax burden state as I've pointed out (46 out of 50). By the way... NY is the worst. Guess why so many successful people move here?

Old 02-12-2024, 05:36 AM

383 posts, read 281,581 times
Just remember the turnpike was supposed to be free once paid for........

Old 02-12-2024, 05:44 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrat View Post
Just remember the turnpike was supposed to be free once paid for........
Turnpike was never a tax it's a user fee. It could never be for free, and nothing is for free.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:33 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's just another right-wing assault on public education which is funded primarily through property taxes. There'll be somber acknowledgement that funds are limited for Title IX schools further weakening already challenging conditions while those who can afford a private education versus those cannot afford the gap funding with vouchers are left to attend sub-standard schools.
When the Florida lottery started in the 1980's, it was supposed to be great way for schools to get more money. We all know how that turned out.

I can't see how eliminating property taxes would work for the Florida budget.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:42 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
This move would kill most local governments, especially the smaller ones. Trust me, you WILL pay some other way. Your trash service, streets and sidewalk maintenance, stormwater, parks, beaches, all public facilities, and sometimes water, sewer, electric services will ALL be impacted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida