Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 05:40 AM

25,703 posts, read 12,779,845 times

Advertisements

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/fl...0being%20taxed.

Initially, just $100k of value, or $250k for 65+ers, and replacing the lost revenue w/ a consumption tax.

But also study eliminating ALL property taxes, & replacing them w/ consumption taxes.

This shifts more tax burden from homeowner & residents, & onto tourists, & part-timers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 06:28 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,187,851 times
I wonder what the impact would be on areas of the state that don’t have tourism as a major part of their economy? And I would think the consumption tax would really impact all of us, no?

Old 02-11-2024, 06:29 AM

30,414 posts, read 21,222,541 times
I would pay more that way than with a prop tax..

Old 02-11-2024, 07:51 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Yeah I consume much more in a year than I pay out in property tax. It'd mean consuming less. And, it'd mean an increase in price for everything else. Tourism isn't just Disney, et al. It's the Comfort Inn in some unincorporated area in Brevard County, and the bed & breakfast plantation in the panhandle, cruise ships that leave out of Florida ports, the cost of parking in the parking lots in the area of those cruise ships, and seasonal rentals in the Keys and everywhere else in the state that has seasonal rentals.

You'll just end up with a lot less people visiting (so you can stop bragging, then, about how Florida is on the top 10 list for visitors - that'll go away). The prices will be too high for a proper chunk of them who were previously saving up to come to Florida. In fact, anyone who -currently- has to "save" in order to afford coming to Florida, for anything at all, would likely not be able to come if the tourism taxes had to increase high enough to accommodate a loss of property tax.

That also will equal fewer people coming to Florida for vacation, and thinking "hey - I would love to retire here." If experiencing the state for vacation is needed for them to get a general feel for the area, some of them would just cross it off their list as options for retirement.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:32 AM

I think some goals of this are to:

-Lower the overall tax load for Florida residents who own their homes.

-Lower the cost of home ownership for new familes, low-income families, & retirees on fixed incomes.

-Simplify tax collections. The Property tax system is complex & onerous. Rather than 10M homeowners paying taxes, it could be cut to 35k retailers.

-Shift more tax burden to tourists/visitors who use our infrastructure w/o paying enough. Tourist taxes are insufficent.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 02-11-2024 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-11-2024, 09:46 AM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
It's just another right-wing assault on public education which is funded primarily through property taxes. There'll be somber acknowledgement that funds are limited for Title IX schools further weakening already challenging conditions while those who can afford a private education versus those cannot afford the gap funding with vouchers are left to attend sub-standard schools.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's just another right-wing assault on public education which is funded primarily through property taxes. There'll be somber acknowledgement that funds are limited for Title IX schools further weakening already challenging conditions while those who can afford a private education versus those cannot afford the gap funding with vouchers are left to attend sub-standard schools.
The schools will be funded differently. How is that an attack on public schools?

There's been no mention of how the school funding would be re-allocated.

Public schools in the USA have been tumbling down the global ranks the past 5 years, so maybe a funding allocation change would reverse the slide:

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/the-...antage-3306225

Old 02-11-2024, 10:22 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,794,276 times
I understand the high cost of buying a home and keeping a home. Some people own houses some own homes... there is a difference.

If property taxes disappear then how would the difference be made up? Consumption can change, so that's not a reliable source for a state tax. The only way around it is an income tax.

Maybe a property tax by square footage? Maybe deferred property tax? somewhat like a ARM works.... low tax in the beginning of ownership, then increasing over time. Maybe a lifetime tax ... once the threshold is reached, no more tax.

Florida has a fairly low tax burden overall. We're ranked 46 out of 50 so that's very good. https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

Old 02-11-2024, 10:28 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/fl...0being%20taxed.

Initially, just $100k of value, or $250k for 65+ers, and replacing the lost revenue w/ a consumption tax.

But also study eliminating ALL property taxes, & replacing them w/ consumption taxes.

This shifts more tax burden from homeowner & residents, & onto tourists, & part-timers.
huh? it doesn't say replace it with tourism tax, it says consumption tax and to replace property tax they wouldn't be able to generate enough revenue unless they taxed every loaf of bread, haircut, doctor's visit, , rent etc. It would hit the poor and elderly the hardest. Figure a 20-25% consumption tax on everything and tell us what a great idea it is, oh yeah and don't forget all public utilities, i.e police, fire, ambulance, would have to charge a fee for service and God knows what would happen to schools my guess is that anyone with money will send their kid to a private school while the rest of the population will have to rely on underfunded public education.

Old 02-11-2024, 11:23 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times
That’s great news, I’d save a small fortune each year if they eliminated property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida