Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 03:15 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight1 View Post
Visiting is different from living here.
Visited in 2013 and moved in 2016 and I can say for us, living here is a lot better than visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2024, 06:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Glad you visited the actual city of Orlando! Yes, it’s a very underrated, if not overlooked place. Downtown and surrounding neighborhoods (Thornton Park, Baldwin Park, Colonialtown North and South, Ivanhoe, etc., are all wonderful, charming, walkable places, and as you said, quite vibrant and active. Winter Park I pretty much include in “surrounding neighborhoods,” as despite being its own city, pretty much seamlessly blends into those areas, particularly Baldwin Park and Colonialtown North.

As for your question (sprawl and theme parks,) quite simply put, it’s because 90% of people who visit “Orlando” never actually go TO Orlando. They get to the airport, and are shuttled straight to South Orange County/Osceola County, which jets them through hideous uninspired sprawl neighborhoods until they reach the tourist traps of I-Drive and Disney. They never venture North of the Turnpike, which is where you were, and where the majority of locals live and function.
For all that urban planning in Florida is largely Something Other States Do, I really think the Orlando got it right in kind of corralling those 90% of tourists in the southwest side of the metro area. The 1960s joint use agreement with McCoy AFB to put the area’s main airport in what was then seriously out in the boonies was then later complimented with Disney buying out land not far from said airport, and the main part of metro Orlando was far enough away that the locals and tourists had to actually kind of work at it to cross paths.

And then there were a lot of other people woh put a lot of effort into making the permanent resident side of Orlando a fun and interesting place to live over they ears; it’s been building for a long time.

I’ll also note that the OP managed to avoid the post-apocalyptic hellscape that is I-4 between Disney and Tampa, and that helps improve one’s opinion of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The data doesn't show this. Florida has been continually the top 3 states people are moving to 2020-2021-2022-2023
They’re also one of the top states for people to leave. The old ‘1,000 new residents a day’ saying for Florida was net- it was 2,000 people arriving each day while 1,000 people left the state each day. The leavers were 470K in 2021 but were down to about 275K in 2022.

A lot of it is cost of living reasons and lack of entry level jobs that pay well enough to cover cost of living increases.

Last edited by beachmouse; 02-24-2024 at 07:10 PM..

Old 02-24-2024, 10:09 PM

835 posts, read 477,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Visited in 2013 and moved in 2016 and I can say for us, living here is a lot better than visiting.
I said different, not better or worse.

Old 02-25-2024, 10:32 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
They’re also one of the top states for people to leave. The old ‘1,000 new residents a day’ saying for Florida was net- it was 2,000 people arriving each day while 1,000 people left the state each day. The leavers were 470K in 2021 but were down to about 275K in 2022.

A lot of it is cost of living reasons and lack of entry level jobs that pay well enough to cover cost of living increases.
I would bet heavily the 2023 and 2024 exit numbers are closer, if not surpassing the 2021 numbers. Pretty much everyone I knew in Central Florida has either already moved out (mostly NC), preparing to move in the near future or at least giving serious thought to moving out of state. Economics and politics are the two main drivers it seems.

Old 02-26-2024, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would bet heavily the 2023 and 2024 exit numbers are closer, if not surpassing the 2021 numbers. Pretty much everyone I knew in Central Florida has either already moved out (mostly NC), preparing to move in the near future or at least giving serious thought to moving out of state. Economics and politics are the two main drivers it seems.
There’s long been a pipeline between the brighter youth in the panhandle and Atlanta because the ATL had ample entry level jobs that would actually allow you to get ahead in career and life while still being close enough to drive home to see family for the holidays.

There are financial incentives for us to hang on up here until 2028 instead of decamping to some place where so many people don’t seem so angry all the time. We may or may not make it that long.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:08 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There’s long been a pipeline between the brighter youth in the panhandle and Atlanta because the ATL had ample entry level jobs that would actually allow you to get ahead in career and life while still being close enough to drive home to see family for the holidays.

There are financial incentives for us to hang on up here until 2028 instead of decamping to some place where so many people don’t seem so angry all the time. We may or may not make it that long.
Weirdly enough in Central Florida it seems to be the NC metros (Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte) and DC-Northern Virginia given the people I have known as well as their kids. Atlanta isn't mentioned much which is odd I feel.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Weirdly enough in Central Florida it seems to be the NC metros (Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte) and DC-Northern Virginia given the people I have known as well as their kids. Atlanta isn't mentioned much which is odd I feel.
The chart I saw today puts Georgia as the #1 destination for leavers and North Carolina as #3. Like a lot of things here, I suspect the North Florida/Central Florida/South Florida divides are real and statistically significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida