Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 05:34 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
No. The closest thing is the Cocoa Beach Shuttle, which is a Private-owned service. $25 1-way, reservations required.
I Googled it. Cheapest is $235 round-trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 06:37 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I Googled it. Cheapest is $235 round-trip.
Yikes.

This one says $45 one way:

https://cocoabeachshuttle.com/pricing/

I think what I saw for $25 was this:
https://portcanaveralconnection.com/...ttles-service/

It only goes to Port Canaveral. But I would think there is a local bus you can ride for $2 from there to the beach.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:55 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Yikes.

It only goes to Port Canaveral. But I would think there is a local bus you can ride for $2 from there to the beach.
I was looking at the wrong site. Thank you! You could practically walk from PC to the beach, but I'm sure there must be a bus...

Old 02-08-2024, 09:18 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,496,673 times
Quote:
Yikes.

The OP said he drove to Daytona Beach, Port Canaveral to Daytona Beach is 74 miles...

Old 02-08-2024, 09:28 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
The OP said he drove to Daytona Beach, Port Canaveral to Daytona Beach is 74 miles...
Yes, I’m aware. I was responding to Otterhere, who was asking about transit options from Orlando to “a beach.” Cocoa Beach is the closest beach to Orlando. It’s 45 minutes away.

As is New Smyrna Beach.

The Daytona Beach pier can be reached from Downtown Orlando in 50 minutes following speed limit (I just looked it up on Maps from my office downtown.) slightly above speed limit gets you there in 45 minutes. OP’s timing is accurate.

Old 02-09-2024, 08:41 AM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanGenious25 View Post
I visited Orlando this past weekend from Omaha, Nebraska for the pro bowl and Olympic marathon trials. I was actually impressed with the city. I found the downtown area to be very vibrant at night and the surrounding neighborhoods to be quite walkable and charming.

The city has an underrated food scene. The town of Winter park has a street called "park ave" and man was it hopping. I was also impressed to see that they have a commuter rail called the Sunrail that runs north of the city to the south. I've been to Miami and south Florida, I feel like Orlando is a firm second when it comes to diversity. My question is, why does people think Orlando is just theme parks and sprawl?

After doing some research, I found a couple of articles highlighting Orlando's explosion.

https://bnnbreaking.com/lifestyle/th...ock-to-orlando

https://www.businessinsider.com/movi...rnia-ny-2024-2
I love Orlando. I moved here from San Francisco Dec 2015 / Jan2016. The food scene is great, especially for a city its size. This has gotten exponentially better recently too. I mean, most tourists stay near Disney and that area is mostly chain restaurants galore and most of those tourists aren't foodies, so they don't both doing any research on Yelp or Google for local restaurants.

Old 02-09-2024, 09:23 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,496,673 times
Quote:
Yes, I’m aware. I was responding to Otterhere, who was asking about transit options from Orlando to “a beach.” Cocoa Beach is the closest beach to Orlando. It’s 45 minutes away.

As is New Smyrna Beach.

The Daytona Beach pier can be reached from Downtown Orlando in 50 minutes following speed limit (I just looked it up on Maps from my office downtown.) slightly above speed limit gets you there in 45 minutes. OP’s timing is accurate.
Understand now, thanks for the clarification!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I love Orlando. I moved here from San Francisco Dec 2015 / Jan2016. The food scene is great, especially for a city its size. This has gotten exponentially better recently too. I mean, most tourists stay near Disney and that area is mostly chain restaurants galore and most of those tourists aren't foodies, so they don't both doing any research on Yelp or Google for local restaurants.
We too moved to Orlando many years ago. I traveled weekly and was so happy we lived on the east side to town (we used to joke about hanging a right out of the airport instead of a left ) and didn't deal with tourists or their traffic unless we wanted to do so.

Old 02-09-2024, 09:28 AM

97 posts, read 83,981 times
It's somewhat of a hidden gem in my opinion. People usually only talk about Disney and other attractions, I was impressed.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:47 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,815 times
Isn't there a lot of crime in Orlando per capita?

Old 02-09-2024, 07:00 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Isn't there a lot of crime in Orlando per capita?
The city limit zoning is very weird, look it up. It makes up a small part of Orlando Metro but covers most of the crime areas. It really depends on where you live, but I can say I've never had my car broken into and also none of my friends either. In San Francisco, I don't know a single person including myself who hasn't had their car broken into. Just one example. I've forgot to close my garage door numerous times and never had any issues. I know there is crime, but overall there are plenty of areas that are very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida