Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 12:02 PM

637 posts, read 407,011 times

Advertisements

Ok so you definitely get it and you're from the area so that's good to know...no disrespect was intended. In my inner circle (ages from 30-45) I typically don't have "starter home" types either, but down here in South Florida as many already know, the housing costs WILL put many in that starter home category.

I'm living in a SFH in a newly constructed gated community as I have a young child, but most of my DINK friends are doing the amenity filled, downtown high rise living in WPB, Ft. Lauderdale/Wilton Manors/Miami...complete BALLERS they are lol

Honestly if South Florida doesn't work, Orlando & St. Pete (small but nice walkable downtown area) appears to be fine choices and isn't a too big of a step down outside of large city events (World Cup, F1 Art Basel etc).

Check out this easy to visualize link it's interesting yet can be depressing: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/wha...erican-cities/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Certainly can't argue with you about the coastal access, or lack thereof. I lived in Northern Pinellas County for a few years up until recently, and nothing beats being able to just hop on my bike on any given day, hit the bike trail and ride to the beach. Not even just about being at the beach itself, but just the "beach lifestyle" and vibe that was felt throughout, in addition to the ocean (gulf) breeze, yeah... Too bad Orlando can't dig itself out of the ground and swap places with Melbourne.

As for people relocating to Central FL from South FL, maybe? Most people I know aren't on starter homes, and those who came from South Florida typically are living in a condo downtown, a townhouse in Baldwin Park or the like, or in some McMansion out in Markham Woods somewhere. I think for many, it's just a solid middle ground being that it is not QUITE as chaotic as Miami, but not as... dare-I-say, boring as Tampa or Jacksonville (sorry Tampa, I love you and all but, you need major help. And fast!)
I don't have too many people in my inner circle that would qualify as "starter home seekers," so perhaps I'm just really out of the loop on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 12:26 PM

97 posts, read 83,981 times
People who are from out of state landlocked state's are perfectly fine with driving 45 mins to an hour to get to a beach. The average person isn't going to the beach everyday. The one thing I notice that Orlando has is a plethora of lakes in and around the city and SPRINGS.

I was in Tampa for a conference and I was under the impression that it was right on the coast but it wasn't, Tampa may be a little closer to the ocean but we're talking only 20-25 mins difference at minimum.

Old 02-08-2024, 12:38 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,855,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanGenious25 View Post
The average person isn't going to the beach everyday. The one thing I notice that Orlando has is a plethora of lakes in and around the city and SPRINGS.

I was in Tampa for a conference and I was under the impression that it was right on the coast but it wasn't, Tampa may be a little closer to the ocean but we're talking only 20-25 mins difference at minimum.

I live in Tampa part of the year and the last time I set foot on a beach in Florida was 2002. Not everyone who lives in Florida or even visits Florida is interested in beaches.

The springs are another story; those ARE MY FAVE PARTS OF FLORIDA!

The best beaches are in my part of Maui IMHO.

Old 02-08-2024, 02:28 PM

637 posts, read 407,011 times
45 mins to an hour is an overly optimistic commute under IDEAL conditions…that doesn’t factor in traffic and or/parking.

Also you being from Nebraska may not be aware of this, but we certainly do have alligators down here so a fresh water lake is no substitute for a beach…almost all Floridians will echo this statement.

Click the link below and you will see that most of the alligator infested lakes are located in Central Florida.

https://www.wfla.com/news/animals/wh...n-florida/amp/

And yes, Tampa is NOT a coastal city - I believe Pinellas County is.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer, just adjusting expectations accordingly.

Quote:
People who are from out of state landlocked state's are perfectly fine with driving 45 mins to an hour to get to a beach. The average person isn't going to the beach everyday. The one thing I notice that Orlando has is a plethora of lakes in and around the city and SPRINGS.

Old 02-08-2024, 03:00 PM

97 posts, read 83,981 times
I left my hotel in downtown Orlando around 10:15am and I got to Daytona beach around 11:00-11:05.

Old 02-08-2024, 03:38 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Is there public transportation from Orlando to a beach?

Old 02-08-2024, 03:44 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Is there public transportation from Orlando to a beach?
No. The closest thing is the Cocoa Beach Shuttle, which is a Private-owned service. $25 1-way, reservations required.

Old 02-08-2024, 03:49 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
No. The closest thing is the Cocoa Beach Shuttle, which is a Private-owned service. $25 1-way, reservations required.
Thanks! Does it run year-round?

Old 02-08-2024, 04:34 PM

24 posts, read 14,476 times
Orlando = many, many problems, but it's safer from hurricanes than Tampa or Miami, so that's a big selling point for the city.

Old 02-08-2024, 05:30 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,496,673 times
Quote:
I left my hotel in downtown Orlando around 10:15am and I got to Daytona beach around 11:00-11:05.
How fast did you drive? I googled Orlando to Daytona Beach and the 2 towns are 55.8 miles apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida