Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 11:02 AM

17,141 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Says the person shopping at Publix in Lakeland, where you can throw a rock and hit Publix HQ.

I lived in Sanford-Lake Mary, an upscale suburb of Orlando within minutes of four Publix stores none of which had any kind of selection of "grown in Florida" despite repeated requests. Green Beans, Citrus and some niche produce items like sprouts were local but beyond consistently all out of state or Mexico/Canada.
I've learned over time that Publix varies quite wildly base on location. The one in Baldwin Park, for instance, did carry quite a bit of Flo grown produce, and even eggs. They also carried a wider variety of "ethnic" foods. I had no issues finding dolmas there, for instance, both the canned and fresh varieties.

The Publix downtown Orlando carries none of the above. Well, they have a small selection of Pero Farms products -- mainly just the small sweet peppers -- but that's pretty much it.
Let's not even get started on the two Publix stores in Mount Dora. Just as bad as the Downtown Orlando one.

The one closest to my last place in East Lake in Pinellas also carried a decent selection of Flo Grown, albeit at outrageous prices. But absolutely nothing that would cater to ethnic tastes... Which I guess makes sense, considering the demographic of the area.

Definitely no citrus though. I think all Florida citrus either gets exported out to other states and Canada, or gets turned into Florida's Natural juice

I always find it funny when I go back to Montreal and I see crates upon crates of Florida citrus. Like, "OH! So THIS is where all of our oranges have been going!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 04:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
[quote=beach43ofus;66399356]Florida is on a long Penninsula in a corner of the USA.

A large portion of grocery costs are transportation, so our remote locale is what drives up the prices, to some extent.

So, like, why does orange juice (including the carton with the hunky Florida guys picking oranges on it) costs 50 - 95 cents more a bottle or carton in Florida than it does in Michigan? That's one I can't figure out. Are they shipping them to, and juicing those oranges in Omaha?

Old 02-08-2024, 05:38 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Florida is on a long Penninsula in a corner of the USA.
A large portion of grocery costs are transportation, so our remote locale is what drives up the prices, to some extent.

So, like, why does orange juice (including the carton with the hunky Florida guys picking oranges on it) costs 50 - 95 cents more a bottle or carton in Florida than it does in Michigan? That's one I can't figure out. Are they shipping them to, and juicing those oranges in Omaha?
No idea but - if I want orange juice I go to my next door neighbor's tree, pick a few oranges, and squeeze them in my manual juicer.

Old 02-08-2024, 05:41 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Because it's nonsense LOL...

I just looked at my most recent Instacart order, from Sprouts. This was last week,

Total, $122.50

Often times, add beer or wine, so throw in another $30 for good measure. That's around $150.

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of Floridians don't shop like this at all.
I don't buy any crap like that.

Old 02-08-2024, 05:46 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
~$600/month is roughly what I spend for our family of 3 also (me and two boys in their early teens.) But I would think I am on the higher end of the spectrum, considering I highly doubt the average Floridian is buying whole organic chickens and whatnot, and doing most of their shopping at places like Sprouts and Whole Foods.

As a matter-of-fact, if I were to properly plan my grocery shopping (I don't... I kind of just... go) I would end up spending even less than that.
I about spend that on myself a month.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:04 PM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Because it's nonsense LOL...

I just looked at my most recent Instacart order, from Sprouts. This was last week,
Total, $122.50

Often times, add beer or wine, so throw in another $30 for good measure. That's around $150.

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of Floridians don't shop like this at all.
Those are higher than what I pay, but I live in a VERY low cost area and they aren't crazy for that store.

Note post #30 the rankings are a SURVEY, they are not a cost comparison of the same purchased items.

As such, the survey and rankings are BS.

Absolute garbage and statistical abuse to claim any validity.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:07 PM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I about spend that on myself a month.
Sure but how much of that is booze? That's not meant to be mean but the idea that 1 person is spending that much a month....it's gotta be booze and high end seafood and steaks assuming the informaiton is accurate.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:26 PM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/mos...a-atlanta-rank

The Free State of Florida is the 5th most expensive state in the USA to buy groceries. More expensive than NY, IL, TX!

And Miami is the MOST expensive city in America for groceries. That's right! More expensive than NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, etc.

Go Florida!
This and a Florida-based grocer (Publix) brought it's high(er than NC-based grocers) prices to North Carolina in recent years. We have a few Publix stores now in the Triangle region of NC and when a new one opened near us I ran in to check it out. Prices on everyday house-brand stuff were 20% higher in Publix than our Harris Teeter (similarish to Publix, North Carolina-based) grocery just down the road. And higher again than our NC-based Food Lion stores. So Publix is bringing higher prices to other states too, it seems to me. How Publix is going to really compete here, I'm uncertain. It's a new-and-shiny, but I'm not going to over pay to go to a slightly newer store.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:42 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
What this shows is that you must consider the TOTAL cost of living when you move. Some consider taxes alone, forgetting that, in a low-tax State; housing, insurance, and groceries can be higher. Often enough ro negate the tax advantages.
Excellent point

There’s so much more to consider than taxes.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:50 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Florida soil is trash. That's the key difference. I remember in Canada, the soil was naturally thick, black and rich.
I hate to admit it, but NJ has some secret soil… produce grown there is phenomenal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida