Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 02:25 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
No insult intended, but spoken like someone who thinks milk comes from the store, or Sprouts grows their own...

Florida Agricultural Stats

Florida #1 in the country for crops grown in 2021:
Snap beans
Cukes
Bell Peppers
watermelon
Citrus
sugarcane

2nd:
Cabbage
sweet corn
tomatoes
avocados
Strawberries
Tangerines

3rd:
squash
peanuts

Agriculture accounts for 2M jobs, 17% of total Florida jobs, and 12% of GDP.

Florida is a big player.
Yes… And a lot of them are exported.
Next time you buy citrus, check and see where it was grown. Highly unlikely it came from Florida.
Most of our strawberries aren’t from Florida either, despite having our own farms here.

Needless to say, apples and bananas don’t come from here either.

And… I have no idea what the heck that first sentence was about lol… What..?

I read the labels on my food. That’s all. Most produce in our stores is not Florida grown. I see more Florida-grown produce in stores out of state than I do here.
Economics at works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 03:23 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
100%.....Publix is a rip off.....if the inflated prices are not a dead giveaway.....they sell it in a smaller identical package to try and fool you

I would say Publix is probably 100% responsible for the high prices
*whomp* Me passing out...we agree on something!

I have long maintained Publix runs a monopoly in FL minus any significant competition in the traditional grocery store sector. The difference is significant now that I am living in Ohio where I have in close proximity access to traditional grocers like Kroger, Meijer, IGA, Stop and Shop, Save A Lot and Food Town plus Aldi, Costco, Target and Walmart of course. Until someone like Kroger gets over their weird aversion to competing in FL I wouldn't expect any change, especially since Winn-Dixie is being further diluted from its acquisition by Aldi. Some Winn-Dixie stores will remain, but not enough to provide any competition.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
*whomp* Me passing out...we agree on something!

I have long maintained Publix runs a monopoly in FL minus any significant competition in the traditional grocery store sector. The difference is significant now that I am living in Ohio where I have in close proximity access to traditional grocers like Kroger, Meijer, IGA, Stop and Shop, Save A Lot and Food Town plus Aldi, Costco, Target and Walmart of course. Until someone like Kroger gets over their weird aversion to competing in FL I wouldn't expect any change, especially since Winn-Dixie is being further diluted from its acquisition by Aldi. Some Winn-Dixie stores will remain, but not enough to provide any competition.
How do you feel about Fancy Fruit? I've recently started doing a bit of shopping at the one in Lake Mary (Sanford?) and have been pleasantly surprised. Variety, ethnic produce, quality items, fair prices.

(Funny that you live in Ohio now... I might have to move (or at least partially live) to Cincinnati in the near future.)

Adding to this, I am a huge fan of Price Chopper in upstate NY. I miss it every time I go up there and come back here.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:52 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
How do you feel about Fancy Fruit? I've recently started doing a bit of shopping at the one in Lake Mary (Sanford?) and have been pleasantly surprised. Variety, ethnic produce, quality items, fair prices.

(Funny that you live in Ohio now... I might have to move (or at least partially live) to Cincinnati in the near future.)

Adding to this, I am a huge fan of Price Chopper in upstate NY. I miss it every time I go up there and come back here.
I found Fancy Fruit in Sanford to be okay but found the meat/seafood smells coming out of the back kind of a turn off. I much preferred Longwood Farmers Market on 434 in Longwood next to Bay Ridge Sushi. It's similarly priced, immaculate and has no stench.

I don't know Price Chopper but we had a similar option with Harris Teeter when I lived in North Carolina.

You'll love the grocery scene up here and in Cincinnati you'll also be blessed with Jungle Jim's which is apparently foodie paradise. I'm looking forward to a trip sometime. https://junglejims.com/

Old 02-07-2024, 03:55 PM

694 posts, read 284,446 times
This study didn't have florida even in the top 10:
https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/the-...yours-stack-up

This study has it at #20:
https://www.zippia.com/advice/averag...ries-by-state/

I don't see where Florida falls in this list but they aren't the top 10 most (or least) expensive here either:
https://www.top10.com/meal-delivery/...ocery-shopping

So much for studies, even "US Census Pulse...".

Old 02-07-2024, 04:45 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
What this shows is that you must consider the TOTAL cost of living when you move. Some consider taxes alone, forgetting that, in a low-tax State; housing, insurance, and groceries can be higher. Often enough ro negate the tax advantages.
Florida consistently ranks well for OVERALL cost-of-living.

Florida always ranks at or near the top for places to retire, and those ranking's use cost-of-living as a factor.

Let's see...good overall cost-of-living, great beaches & winter weather...I think I'll stay here, but hopefully this thread is scaring some away.

I predict this season will be by far the biggest in Florida's history. They just keep coming by the Tens of Millions...in 2023 an estimated 130,000,000 visitors came to FLA, and not one of them cared about the price of groceries. Most will return again next year.

In 2024, Florida could see 150,000,000 visitors. And, FLA will be in the top 3 for net domestic migration...again.

I've not heard of 1 person say I'm not visiting or moving to Florida because of food prices...have you?

The Free State of Florida is the most desirable state in the USA, based upon tourism + net domestic migration.

If you avoid Publix, Whole Foods, and The Fresh Market, Florida is very likely in the top 10 cheapest States for groceries.

Old 02-07-2024, 04:48 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,222,541 times
I spend over a 100 a week on myself and it has gone up 50% gents since 2019.

Old 02-07-2024, 04:58 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
This is no surprise. The geography of the state is not a valid excuse. There is no reason that given the population, infrastructure and proximity to crop producing regions, that Florida would be the 5th most expensive state for groceries. Certainly it is more cost effective to move food products to FL than northern New England, or other less populated and remote areas. My personal experience is that the majority of items I buy in FL are about 10 to 20% more than the same items in CT (high tax state) which are about 10 to 20% more than those items in NH.

Old 02-07-2024, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
This is no surprise. The geography of the state is not a valid excuse. There is no reason that given the population, infrastructure and proximity to crop producing regions, that Florida would be the 5th most expensive state for groceries. Certainly it is more cost effective to move food products to FL than northern New England, or other less populated and remote areas. My personal experience is that the majority of items I buy in FL are about 10 to 20% more than the same items in CT (high tax state) which are about 10 to 20% more than those items in NH.
Inflation is another major aspect that a lot of people seem to overlook. The cost to operate in Florida has skyrocketed over the past few years. It isn't just Publix that has high9er) prices. Walmart is barely cheaper for most things I buy, sometimes more expensive (particularly in the organic department.)

Old 02-07-2024, 05:12 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Avoid Publix and Whole Foods and VOILA! Florida is amongst the 10 cheapest...is that so hard?

How about a trade...you can have the cheapest groceries and live in North Dakota, or the 6th most costly groceries and live in Florida?

Or, not shop at Publix and Whole Foods and have some of the cheapest groceries in the USA.

Is anyone here being forced to shop at Publix or Whole Foods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida