Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 08:18 AM

9,175 posts, read 6,208,590 times

Advertisements

I have much better fresh fruits and vegetables in Florida since many are locally grown and harvested than I had in NY or CT.

And, nothing in NY or CT is cheap.

So I'd rather pay for quality than buy on price.

Some people only see price and don't understand quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 08:26 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,423,368 times
Meanwhile, nothing anyone is saying in any responses to this thread, explains HOW "families with no children" are spending $270/WEEK on groceries on average in Florida.

I say - it's not happening. Families without children aren't spending $270/week on groceries in Florida. My example up-thread shows what I would need to buy, just to spend over $200/week. Mostly at Publix, buying the most expensive things I could think of that people /might/ buy as weekly grocery items. And I still couldn't come up that high.

Old 02-08-2024, 08:30 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I have much better fresh fruits and vegetables in Florida since many are locally grown and harvested than I had in NY or CT.

And, nothing in NY or CT is cheap.

So I'd rather pay for quality than buy on price.

Some people only see price and don't understand quality.
You must have lived in a remote vacuum given the massive size and number of real farmers markets in the Northeast. The quality of produce and diversity of product offered far exceeds what is seen in Florida as well as accessibility. Florida relies heavily on produce from Mexico and California despite being a leading producer of Tomatoes for example, which are weirdly sent out of state mostly as grocers like Publix look for the cheapest options available.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:09 AM

4,485 posts, read 3,861,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You must have lived in a remote vacuum given the massive size and number of real farmers markets in the Northeast. The quality of produce and diversity of product offered far exceeds what is seen in Florida as well as accessibility. Florida relies heavily on produce from Mexico and California despite being a leading producer of Tomatoes for example, which are weirdly sent out of state mostly as grocers like Publix look for the cheapest options available.

We are currently in the growing season for Florida. Yet 99% of the produce at stores is Canadian or Mexican or South American, or from California.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:18 AM

521 posts, read 871,735 times
FL is supposed to be dripping in fresh strawberries but you go to the store and all you see is Driscoll's crappy no taste over sized berries. Sad

Old 02-08-2024, 09:34 AM

17,228 posts, read 15,438,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
FL is supposed to be dripping in fresh strawberries but you go to the store and all you see is Driscoll's crappy no taste over sized berries. Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
We are currently in the growing season for Florida. Yet 99% of the produce at stores is Canadian or Mexican or South American, or from California.
LOL. Be careful. When I mentioned this early in this thread, I was told from someone from VA that I'm clueless and must think grocers grow their own crops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
No insult intended, but spoken like someone who thinks milk comes from the store, or Sprouts grows their own...

Florida Agricultural Stats

Agriculture accounts for 2M jobs, 17% of total Florida jobs, and 12% of GDP.

Florida is a big player.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:37 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Pretty much always.

Yet Florida is the second largest producer of Tomatoes, Oranges, Cucumbers, Green Beans and Strawberries but outside of some Green Beans (Pero Family Farms in South Florida) you'll be hard-pressed to find them at Publix for example. Publix bids on the cheapest produce available which tends to be from Mexico and California where they're often picking early in the case of Tomatoes and gassing them to ripen red in transit to the store. Canadian Tomatoes are hothouse grown and outside of the Campari variety, mostly flavorless like the Mexican and California variety seen in FL supermarkets. Independent produce markets found in most cities seem to be the only alternative for locally grown, and the token few authentic farmers markets in the state.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:48 AM

17,228 posts, read 15,438,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Meanwhile, nothing anyone is saying in any responses to this thread, explains HOW "families with no children" are spending $270/WEEK on groceries on average in Florida.

I say - it's not happening. Families without children aren't spending $270/week on groceries in Florida. My example up-thread shows what I would need to buy, just to spend over $200/week. Mostly at Publix, buying the most expensive things I could think of that people /might/ buy as weekly grocery items. And I still couldn't come up that high.
Because it's nonsense LOL...

I just looked at my most recent Instacart order, from Sprouts. This was last week,

Total, $122.50

Often times, add beer or wine, so throw in another $30 for good measure. That's around $150.

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of Floridians don't shop like this at all.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:53 AM

17,541 posts, read 39,166,326 times
Quote:
I don't know where you shop, but that is not true. I buy only "fresh from Florida" produce at my beautiful new Publix. Strawberries are from Wish Farms in Plant City and that includes organic. In fact, wherever possible Publix offers local produce, again, including organic. Not saying it's cheap, but there are often sales on it or other things that offset the price. If it's not local it's because it is out of season or otherwise unavailable. Even ALDI sells a lot of local produce.

Some here just like to hear themselves whine.....

P.S. Florida is not even in the TOP 10

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/the-...yours-stack-up

Old 02-08-2024, 10:03 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,349,578 times
Quote:
Places like Farmer Joes has the fresh stuff, not the Driscoll types that Publix, Winn Dixie, Walmart sells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida