Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 02:50 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
That depends on what parts of HI vs. what parts of FL you are talking about.
Oh please.

The ENTIRE state of Florida is a HOT HUMID HELLSCAPE between the months of May and September. And even in winter we can get very hot (over 85) humid days. I have sweated through 87 humid degrees in Fla one too many Thanksgivings and Christmases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 05:28 PM

1,867 posts, read 843,254 times
the panhandle is better than south florida

Old 12-21-2023, 10:28 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Oh please.

The ENTIRE state of Florida is a HOT HUMID HELLSCAPE between the months of May and September. And even in winter we can get very hot (over 85) humid days. I have sweated through 87 humid degrees in Fla one too many Thanksgivings and Christmases.
It's all relative.
Try living in Houston from May to September
I would prefer 95 humid degrees to 100 humid degrees

Old 12-21-2023, 11:27 PM

4 posts, read 2,367 times
Thank you everyone for informing me about Florida and other suggestions.

Is seems most logical to stay in my field, whether I am ready or not. And, I definitely must find a roommate if I were to move to Florida because I don't have enough money otherwise.

I appreciate all of you giving me your time and effort to inform me the pros and cons of the state. It truly made my day!

Old 12-22-2023, 12:33 PM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Oh please.

Massive generalization coming from someone likely who does not like warm weather.

The OP obviously wants to escape the dreary grey cold, so sunny FL is a natural choice, along with some of southern Texas.
I don't know why you assume FL is always so hot and humid throughout the state, but the NE/NW of Florda coastal areas are nothing like the sweltering heat of inland central FL. Even places like Miami and the Keys have coastal breezes that help to keep the heat down.

As an FYI, I have spent many vacations in HI, and while I love most things about it (except the flight distance, costs), there are climates that are not all that enjoyable, such as Hilo which rains more than not.

Old 12-22-2023, 12:46 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyreneSpence View Post
Hello,
I am a 23 year old male from the state of Washington. Recently, I graduated from university with a degree in Applied Computing, but I feel rather hopeless for the field of coding and even IT- I've attempted applying over 700 times here in Washington state, the home of Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, and so forth, without any luck. I am not sure what to do as a career so far.

Anyways, onto my consideration to why I want to move to Florida: I've grown long-tired of winter and gray skies. I never cared for the weather here even as a child. The sunlight has always been an elixir of life to me, and I've always felt being unable to go outdoors for 9 of 12 months of the year is simply draining. I want to be able to enjoy the great outdoors, grow tropical plants, attend year-around swapmeets, and stop getting sick so easily from the cold.

I've heard about the increasing prices to the lower wages, cost of living, massive car insurance rates, housing insurance rates, new mandatory flood coverage, rampant bugs, and hurricanes, but the one thing I seek cannot leave my mind: sunny skies and year-around warm weather.

Would Central Florida be ideal for a person like me? I am aware Central Florida may experience frost occasionally and has about 1-2 months of cold.

Are my ideas outlandish? Please let me know anything I must! I'd rather prepare slugs for dinner than stay in the cold. If I had to do that to save money, I probably would!
I moved here two years ago from the northeast. I always hated the weather up north, but that was where work was located. I got the chance finally to move with my current employer and I just wish I could've done this 10 years ago! I love the weather, don't mind the humid summers (compared to long winters and rainy, damp spring), the sunsets are intoxicating, the wild life, palm trees, etc. just make this special. I wake up every day and pinch myself. Especially this time of year. I am in a short sleeve shirt today, just drove back from taking a walk on the beach and I am working on my balcony now to close out the day.

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2023, 01:39 PM

711 posts, read 683,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
My friends who got into IT and stuck with it now ALL make over $100k, yes, including the ones who live in Florida. Most are in Orlando or Miami areas. We are in our mid-late 30s. One is a software development manager for Oracle. His base salary is in the $200k range. He makes over $300k after bonuses and whatnot.

Entry level jobs just don’t pay well in Florida, but stick with it and it can, and most likely will.
OP is 23.
My first engineering job was as a CAD drafter 10 years ago. I made $17/hr. Had I quit and started waiting tables, I’d be nowhere near where I am now.

My advice: stick with your IT field, and accept a job within that field, even if it seems ****ty at first. You’ll thank yourself much sooner than you think.
I agree that the OP needs to stick it out in their tech career. There aren't many high-paying jobs in Florida, but being in tech will put them in the upper end of the spectrum. The Orlando area would probably be the best place for someone with tech skills. Because of NASA and the space industry, Lockheed, Boeing, Raytheon, SpaceX, GE, and more have a large presence. The University of Central Florida sends a lot of graduates to these companies.

The OP also should try to get a position with entertainment companies like Disney, Electronic Arts (EA Sports/ Tiburon) and Hard Rock, which are based there. Disney even has a tech hub in Seattle that the OP could get a start at for networking purposes and try to transfer to Orlando. Because you're fresh out of school, you may want to try the Disney Professional Internships program, where they pay you a decent starting salary for a one-year experience contract that may turn into a permanent job. While in that program, Disney provides low-cost housing. Don't confuse it with the Disney College Program, which has front-line jobs working in the parks, restaurants and hotels. Those gigs are sustainable for no more than six months.

Old 12-22-2023, 01:55 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Oh please.

It's 90's into Nov and starts in Feb and almost no rain half a mile from the gulf.

Old 12-22-2023, 02:14 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Massive generalization coming from someone likely who does not like warm weather.

The OP obviously wants to escape the dreary grey cold, so sunny FL is a natural choice, along with some of southern Texas.
I don't know why you assume FL is always so hot and humid throughout the state, but the NE/NW of Florda coastal areas are nothing like the sweltering heat of inland central FL. Even places like Miami and the Keys have coastal breezes that help to keep the heat down.

As an FYI, I have spent many vacations in HI, and while I love most things about it (except the flight distance, costs), there are climates that are not all that enjoyable, such as Hilo which rains more than not.

It's actually been quite grey and cool (Hilo-like) in Fla the past month, which has been wonderful.

I was born and raised in South and SW Fla and traveled all over the state; it's a hot humid hellscape from May to Sept. full stop. But maybe the OP will love that!

For the full sweltering Fla experience I recommend he visit Key West in July, which will feel like sitting on the face of the sun!

Old 12-22-2023, 02:32 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
It's actually been quite grey and cool (Hilo-like) in Fla the past month, which has been wonderful.

I was born and raised in South and SW Fla and traveled all over the state; it's a hot humid hellscape from May to Sept. full stop. But maybe the OP will love that!

For the full sweltering Fla experience I recommend he visit Key West in July, which will feel like sitting on the face of the sun!
July in the Keys is Lobster time!... one of the best times of the year to be outside and on the water! You'll love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYrno9yrz5M

Pay no attention to those who languish indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida