Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 07:12 PM

4 posts, read 2,359 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a 23 year old male from the state of Washington. Recently, I graduated from university with a degree in Applied Computing, but I feel rather hopeless for the field of coding and even IT- I've attempted applying over 700 times here in Washington state, the home of Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, and so forth, without any luck. I am not sure what to do as a career so far.

Anyways, onto my consideration to why I want to move to Florida: I've grown long-tired of winter and gray skies. I never cared for the weather here even as a child. The sunlight has always been an elixir of life to me, and I've always felt being unable to go outdoors for 9 of 12 months of the year is simply draining. I want to be able to enjoy the great outdoors, grow tropical plants, attend year-around swapmeets, and stop getting sick so easily from the cold.

I've heard about the increasing prices to the lower wages, cost of living, massive car insurance rates, housing insurance rates, new mandatory flood coverage, rampant bugs, and hurricanes, but the one thing I seek cannot leave my mind: sunny skies and year-around warm weather.

Would Central Florida be ideal for a person like me? I am aware Central Florida may experience frost occasionally and has about 1-2 months of cold.

Are my ideas outlandish? Please let me know anything I must! I'd rather prepare slugs for dinner than stay in the cold. If I had to do that to save money, I probably would!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2023, 07:40 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,279,227 times
Central Florida would be a good fit, aside from the growing tropical plants part. Some tropical plants grow in Central Florida. The climate is milder in a few coastal spots like St. Petersburg, Satellite Beach, etc where you can grow a lot of tropical plants. South Florida is best for it though, from Stuart south on the east coast and Cape Coral south on the west coast where there’s a true tropical climate.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 2,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Central Florida would be a good fit, aside from the growing tropical plants part. Some tropical plants grow in Central Florida. The climate is milder in a few coastal spots like St. Petersburg, Satellite Beach, etc where you can grow a lot of tropical plants. South Florida is best for it though, from Stuart south on the east coast and Cape Coral south on the west coast where there’s a true tropical climate.
How about locations? Are there specific areas you would advise?

Being a warehouse worker, I don't make a ton. But, I know all sorts of funky methods to save on food. From fermenting pickles, fermenting with sugar (maesil-cheong; my fruits are still edible after 2 years without being in the fridge or in a tightly-sealed container), recycling canned meat broth, bone broths, perpetual soups, and all sorts.

If I could find an apartment for 1000 USD a month, that would be nice. But, I am aware 1000 a month isn't realistic here.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:32 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,396,448 times
For most of the year in Florida, you will be indoors, in air conditioning, and out of the sub-tropical heat. Or you'll be inside, away from the rainy season. Or you'll be inside, away from the love bugs, or mosquitoes.

Don't come to Florida hoping to find a job, without any money to invest in a home and savings to last your first year.

Old 12-19-2023, 09:27 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,279,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyreneSpence View Post
How about locations? Are there specific areas you would advise?

Being a warehouse worker, I don't make a ton. But, I know all sorts of funky methods to save on food. From fermenting pickles, fermenting with sugar (maesil-cheong; my fruits are still edible after 2 years without being in the fridge or in a tightly-sealed container), recycling canned meat broth, bone broths, perpetual soups, and all sorts.

If I could find an apartment for 1000 USD a month, that would be nice. But, I am aware 1000 a month isn't realistic here.
What you’re looking for could be found in a lot of places. Your budget is a serious constraint, but probably doable in an older studio.

Bradenton and Melbourne come to mind. They’re both near larger cities (Tampa and Orlando), but have enough distance to where they’re a little cheaper. Being coastal, they’re warmer in the winter too and Bradenton in particular. You’d need to be pretty selective in Bradenton though since some of it can be rough. I’m less familiar with the specifics on Melbourne.

St. Petersburg would be a better option still, but it’s more expensive so you’d need more luck on finding something within budget (north of Central Ave.)

Old 12-19-2023, 09:31 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Also consider that Florida has one of the highest inflation rates in the country. So that $1000/month you're counting on earning to pay the rent - won't give you any wiggle room to enjoy being IN Florida. No dining out, no drinks after work, no parties, no Starbucks every morning. You'll get up, go to work, go home, and watch your minimum-channel TV or read a book, then go to bed, and do it again the next day. If you're lucky you'll be able to afford Netflix to keep you comfy at night.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:36 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
For most of the year in Florida, you will be indoors, in air conditioning, and out of the sub-tropical heat. Or you'll be inside, away from the rainy season. Or you'll be inside, away from the love bugs, or mosquitoes.

Don't come to Florida hoping to find a job, without any money to invest in a home and savings to last your first year.
This is false. If you don't like warm temperatures don't move to Florida. There is only like two months where is so hot and being near water helps. Beaches, pools, rivers, lakes, springs, etc. Name another state that has that? That are tolerable most of the year.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:47 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Hello,
I am a 23 year old male from the state of Washington. Recently, I graduated from university with a degree in Applied Computing, but I feel rather hopeless for the field of coding and even IT- I've attempted applying over 700 times here in Washington state, the home of Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, and so forth, without any luck. I am not sure what to do as a career so far.

Anyways, onto my consideration to why I want to move to Florida: I've grown long-tired of winter and gray skies. I never cared for the weather here even as a child. The sunlight has always been an elixir of life to me, and I've always felt being unable to go outdoors for 9 of 12 months of the year is simply draining. I want to be able to enjoy the great outdoors, grow tropical plants, attend year-around swapmeets, and stop getting sick so easily from the cold.

I've heard about the increasing prices to the lower wages, cost of living, massive car insurance rates, housing insurance rates, new mandatory flood coverage, rampant bugs, and hurricanes, but the one thing I seek cannot leave my mind: sunny skies and year-around warm weather.

Would Central Florida be ideal for a person like me? I am aware Central Florida may experience frost occasionally and has about 1-2 months of cold.

Are my ideas outlandish? Please let me know anything I must! I'd rather prepare slugs for dinner than stay in the cold. If I had to do that to save money, I probably would!
Take a look at Lakeland. There is a VERY strong economy here, with many of those large manufacturing firms along with huge warehouses (Lakeland is the center of Florida) While the climate is not tropical, there are micro climates here due to the lakes, and many tropical plants can be grown. Of course you really have to live much further south to truly grow tropicals.

Your budget is tough for even here, but will go a lot further than if you go to the coasts. Good luck!

Old 12-20-2023, 07:52 AM

27,171 posts, read 43,867,759 times
OP, I would suggest taking a look at Jacksonville. While not the warmest part of FL there are tropical plantings one can grow and very nice beaches. In terms of jobs it's more economically diverse than most of the state with a thriving economy that is big on tech, healthcare, insurance, banking, transportation and logistics. it also has the lowest cost of living among the major FL metros with a large number of apartments under $1000 per month.

https://www.apartments.com/apartment...fl/under-1000/

Old 12-20-2023, 09:18 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Quote:

Add humidity to all that.

Arizona is a much better and dryer climate.

I can't say how fast you'll get a job but you can easily get a decent apartment for $1000 per month.

Sure, you'll have a couple of summer months of over 100 degrees, but it's a dry heat. LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Seeking to Move to Florida-dry-heat.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida