Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 09:01 AM

25,690 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

Every time there's a rising Republican, the media attacks them non-stop. If there's nothing legit to attack them on, they make stuff up, or take things out of context, or play other tricks, to turn people against them.

I'm for a free press, but that is not what we have now...it's a bought and paid for propaganda machine that leans heavily left.

I love how Trump calls them fake news, because that is what they are. I'm glad they're ratings continue to decline, & they are losing cred by the day.

At this rate, they will be inconsequential soon.

No alimony recipient should expect to receive alimony forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 10:08 AM

[quote=Ghaati;65494679]Women who are stay at home moms, who didn't go to college, have no skills that would net them "earning a living" - they exist. Many of them are seniors. Seniors are not immune to divorce. A woman who has spent the last 30 years married to the breadwinner, will not be able to survive on no income once the alimony end-date arrives.

#1 in a divorce settlement, Mrs. Cleaver will get at least 1/2 of the marital assets, & maybe more.

#2 Mrs. Cleaver also gets Social Security if they were married 10+ years.

#3 If #1 & #2 above are not enough, there's food stamps, section 8 housing, and senior citizen housing.

#4 there's also medicare, & medicaid

There are plenty of safety nets already in place, and Mrs. Cleaver will likely need to get a job to supplement the benefits of these programs. There are no skill required jobs everywhere right now, & the minimum wage is higher than ever, and still climbing.

Alimony for life is unfair to the spouse paying for life, & nothing will convince me otherwise. A stay at home spouse being married for a long time to a primary wage earner, does not mean they are guaranteed to never have to work again.

There are no free rides.

Old 07-03-2023, 10:37 AM

18,427 posts, read 8,258,982 times
the vast majority....37......states do not award permanent alimony

...all Florida did was join the vast majority

somehow the vast majority of these gay divorcees get along just fine

operative word > "vast majority"

Old 07-03-2023, 02:23 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Every time there's a rising Republican, the media attacks them non-stop. If there's nothing legit to attack them on, they make stuff up, or take things out of context, or play other tricks, to turn people against them.

I'm for a free press, but that is not what we have now...it's a bought and paid for propaganda machine that leans heavily left.

I love how Trump calls them fake news, because that is what they are. I'm glad they're ratings continue to decline, & they are losing cred by the day.

At this rate, they will be inconsequential soon.

No alimony recipient should expect to receive alimony forever.
Do you think this is why Eric Greitens, former governor of MO was taken down?

Former Navy Seal and was Trump's buddy. He was being pushed to be the next president and Fox had him on constantly. DeSantis wasn't pushed until Greitens resigned from office. had trump been Re-elected, and Greitens wasn't forced out it's very likely Greitens would have been the front runner in 2024.

He did two ads shooting a m50machine gun and full auto Ar15. That was wildly popular in MIssouri and got him elected even though he was a democrap in the past. The good ole old boy Republicans hated him in MO and found some BS to make up to force him out because he wasn't a good ole boy.

Old 07-04-2023, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
the vast majority....37......states do not award permanent alimony

...all Florida did was join the vast majority

somehow the vast majority of these gay divorcees get along just fine

operative word > "vast majority"

This web site says only 6 states still have permanent alimony, 44 do not:

https://divorce.com/blog/what-states...ward%20alimony.

I'm glad Florida finally joined the "vast majority" of other states in doing away with permanent alimony...way overdue. Way to go DeSantis!

Fewer young people are getting married, due in part to antiquated laws; like alimony. They don't want gov't involved, if their relationship ends.

With so many women now in the work force, & ever-improving wage parity, alimony is becoming obsolete.

FLA is getting a lot of things right these days...no wonder so many have moved here, are in the process of moving here, or want to move here.

Old 07-04-2023, 06:50 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Lifetime alimony is ridiculous.............

1. If they go broke while married is there a clause that allows her to remain in the lifestyle they were accustomed to? Meaning changes happen, good or bad.

2. Are there that many housewives that have no life/job skills today? My neighbor became unemployed after 20+ years with a very high profile job. His wife (never worked during the 25 yr marriage) became a successful realtor, she sold 20mm in property last year alone. They are doing just fine.

3. Everyone knows of a crazy divorce story where the people simply were never good together. So one partner needs to be paid off for life? Short term alimony is painful enough, lifetime is really an insult.

Old 07-04-2023, 06:56 AM

679 posts, read 877,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Well then you should've worked a tiny bit harder to figure out what to do. Put in a half hour's worth of thought, and a few days' worth of effort.

If someone has a traumatic brain injury and can no longer work, they can go out on disability. If they're 66 years old, they can collect social security and retire. A judge can't tell you that you're obligated to work past the legal retirement age in this country, or that you are obligated to work even if you're permanently disabled.

So either you didn't do your homework, or there's more to the story than this that you're not telling. Or possibly - it's fiction.
Oops, accidentally repped you. And I always thought you were the voice of reason in this sub. All you need to do is search my post history to see it’s not fiction. My point is, permanent alimony is just that. Permanent. It was not cancelled by the Court but it was reduced to one dollar per year. The judge wouldn’t cancel it in case my husband got another six figure job after the hearing. It was truly unbelievable and had I known what we were facing I certainly would have done things differently.

We were in the middle of the court case when he had his accident. I thought naively, like you, that would have been the end of it. Her lawyer accused him of malingering. We settled. She got half his retirement.

The accident changed our lives. We were separated for two years before finally trying again, back in Florida. He will never be the same and neither will I.

Old 07-04-2023, 07:14 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
Oops, accidentally repped you. And I always thought you were the voice of reason in this sub. All you need to do is search my post history to see it’s not fiction. My point is, permanent alimony is just that. Permanent. It was not cancelled by the Court but it was reduced to one dollar per year. The judge wouldn’t cancel it in case my husband got another six figure job after the hearing. It was truly unbelievable and had I known what we were facing I certainly would have done things differently.

We were in the middle of the court case when he had his accident. I thought naively, like you, that would have been the end of it. Her lawyer accused him of malingering. We settled. She got half his retirement.

The accident changed our lives. We were separated for two years before finally trying again, back in Florida. He will never be the same and neither will I.
So then there was more to the story that you weren't telling.

I don't make a habit of checking the posting history of members, it's a huge forum and people post all over the place. I have a life outside city-data and better things to do with my time. I stick to the few forum topics that interest me personally.

And so I took your post at face value. If you expected me to do otherwise, you could've included the rest of the situation.

You can now appeal, because now, he is disabled, officially. Now, things are different from when the court case began. At the time of the court case, he was not disabled. Also permanent alimony is not permanent. An appeal to the court -can- get that changed, in some cases. Or reduced to a dollar as was true in your situation for a time.

I think the fact that Florida can do things differently - change the rules to suit its governor's whims - should be more concerning than the idea that permanent alimony existed in the first place. Just imagine if YOU ever get divorced, and the rules change again and they decide a woman's assets must all go to her divorced spouse.

Old 07-04-2023, 07:41 AM

18,427 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
- change the rules to suit its governor's whims -
exactly how do you think the vast majority of other states changed the rules?

Quote:
and they decide a woman's assets must all go to her divorced spouse
women are not living in some cave beating the laundry on a rock...

...there's plenty of women that are the primary provider

you seem sour because "equality" bit them in the butt

be careful what you wish for....you might just get it

Old 07-04-2023, 08:02 AM

17,605 posts, read 6,894,659 times
Quote:
This is a great way to ensure that women don't leave their husbands, even if it's a bad relationship. So - Florida forces birth on pregnant women, even if the baby is unviable (missing brain stem, heart, severe inoperable deformities, etc) at 6 weeks - too early for most teenagers to even know they're pregnant because of irregular periods at that age. They intimidate women into staying in bad marriages if they were housewives whose skills aren't enough to get a job that pays the bills. They think that men dressing in womens' clothes should be treated as a crime.

Sounds to me like Florida just really hates women.
Wow, what a disgusting and sexist post.

Are you aware that women are often the bread-winner in a marriage, and that they will be excused from permanent alimony under the law, just like men?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida