Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 05:39 PM

85 posts, read 70,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySipowicz View Post
The level of idiocy in this thread is absolutely astounding.
After awhile, you realize we have too many warning labels on things.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 07:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
If they want to get their health care with medicaid, they won't have any choice.
McDonald’s and Walmart and such will still be hiring then and offer better pay and working conditions than picking strawberries. I guess the hard part for some folks would be passing a pre-employment drug screening.

But really, if you’ve got ‘papers’ being a Jimmy John’s sandwich artist at a well-managed shop is way, way better for most folks than farm work.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:54 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,420,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
McDonald’s and Walmart and such will still be hiring then and offer better pay and working conditions than picking strawberries. I guess the hard part for some folks would be passing a pre-employment drug screening.

But really, if you’ve got ‘papers’ being a Jimmy John’s sandwich artist at a well-managed shop is way, way better for most folks than farm work.
Yes it is. Walmart IS hiring, so is McDonald's. And everyone else in this area. They can't find people willing to work for $11/hour, doing basic functions - serving customers, counting change, bagging groceries, stocking shelves.

Why anyone would think all these immigrant farmworkers are threatening jobs for Americans is beyond me. No Americans I know of would work those jobs even for $20/hour, let alone the $10/hour they get as agricultural workers. If they're working in Georgia it's $5.15/hour.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:08 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,908,201 times
Quote:
Yes it is. Walmart IS hiring, so is McDonald's. And everyone else in this area. They can't find people willing to work for $11/hour, doing basic functions - serving customers, counting change, bagging groceries, stocking shelves.

Why anyone would think all these immigrant farmworkers are threatening jobs for Americans is beyond me. No Americans I know of would work those jobs even for $20/hour, let alone the $10/hour they get as agricultural workers. If they're working in Georgia it's $5.15/hour.
So you are in favor of our wide open Southern border?

Old 06-01-2023, 06:55 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:

And I still don't quite understand this mindset.
I make a decent living, but have been between jobs in the past, and during those moments, drove Lyft and worked as a concrete laborer, the latter which was $11/hr doing hard manual labor. Why? Well, because I still had mouths to feed and bills to pay, and basic math says $11/hr is more than $0/hr.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 06-01-2023 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-01-2023, 07:12 AM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
Quote:
let alone the $10/hour they get as agricultural workers. .
it's more like $13-14 an hour.....the highest paid around $20 an hour

...don't forget for a lot of them this also includes housing and utilities

https://www.indeed.com/career/farm-hand/salaries/FL

https://www.salary.com/research/sala...rmer-salary/fl

Old 06-01-2023, 08:03 AM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
And I still don't quite understand this mindset.
I make a decent living, but have been between jobs in the past, and during those moments, drove Lyft and worked as a concrete laborer, the latter which was $11/hr doing hard manual labor. Why? Well, because I still had mouths to feed and bills to pay, and basic math says $11/hr is more than $0/hr.
Can't rep you again ^^^. Totally agree, don't understand this mindset. So many people these days are just entitled, and frankly don't want to do anything. Most of us responsible people do what it takes to keep the bills paid. And as you pointed out (and my hubby always said this too) $11/hr is more than $0/hr.

Old 06-01-2023, 09:50 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,229,238 times
The young workers of our labor force have all become influencers. Why pick beans when you can take selfies and Photoshop abs for fame and riches?

Old 06-01-2023, 11:25 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Can't rep you again ^^^. Totally agree, don't understand this mindset. So many people these days are just entitled, and frankly don't want to do anything. Most of us responsible people do what it takes to keep the bills paid. And as you pointed out (and my hubby always said this too) $11/hr is more than $0/hr.
I put the blame generally on some pretty bad parenting that has enabled it. When I grew up (and reached working age (14-15) in the 1970s, most kids had to get a job if they hoped to have a car right away. I have been working since the age of 15 and while my parents have helped along the way it wasn't through my lack of trying and working hard. There's been a generation or two that has grown up fairly coddled and this is the fallout. I'm consistently amazed at how societally dysfunctional many of these kids are.

Old 06-01-2023, 12:07 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
. There's been a generation or two that has grown up fairly coddled and this is the fallout.
when the hippies became parents.....and Dr Seuss made them stop back handing their kids...you're supposed to rationalize with kids...who's only goal is to beat you at something

Last edited by Corrie22; 06-01-2023 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida