Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2023, 08:19 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Why do you stay in Florida if you are so unhappy here? You have 2 other cities listed on your profile, if I was as unhappy as you are I'd certainly leave. I'm sorry you are so down about Florida.
Because some people just enjoy being miserable. It's all they know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 09:27 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Because some people just enjoy being miserable. It's all they know.
And sometimes there are family or job scenarios where there are reasons to stay despite strong negatives for a place.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:44 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And sometimes there are family or job scenarios where there are reasons to stay despite strong negatives for a place.
There are also millions of renters, who have no equity in their homes to use as downpayments for somewhere else. If they leave Florida, it means they leave a job. Showing up in a new state with no home, no job, even if you have savings, can mean homelessness within a year.

Many renters would prefer the uncertainty that they recognize, to the uncertainty they aren't able to experience yet.

Old 07-29-2023, 12:53 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
I was a little worried about insuring the home I'm building in Palm Coast. After Ian and Nicole I wasn't sure what to expect. Its fairly modest - 1500 sq ft, but when I bought the lot in 2021 I made a point of looking at FEMA maps and checking other sources and found its not in a flood zone (four miles inland). Being its a new construction its all to current code for storm resistance. It'll be finished around October 1st, but I was curious and contacted a State Farm agent last week. She said it wasn't possible to have an exact amount until its done, but the estimate is around $1,500 a year for that address. I can live with that. My current 1,150 sq ft, 44 year old home in California is $1,100. With no mortgage I should be able to enjoy a new life in Florida without too much worry.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:35 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
I live in Punta Gorda, where Ian hit. Mine only went up just over $300 for next year.

Old 08-05-2023, 10:25 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
This story in the WaPo is terrible, Florida people WITH insurance aren’t being paid. That photo at the top of the story is awful.

This link will get you past the paywall at the WaPo: https://wapo.st/3s1pwvC

Nine insurers in the FL market have gone belly up the last two years.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-05-2023, 04:32 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
It IS terrible indeed and this is the stuff that the "FLORIDA IS PARADISE" people don't want to be publicized. Along with the drought, record heat, outrageous electric bills and constant power outages!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2023, 04:35 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
This story in the WaPo is terrible, Florida people WITH insurance aren’t being paid. That photo at the top of the story is awful.

This link will get you past the paywall at the WaPo: https://wapo.st/3s1pwvC

Nine insurers in the FL market have gone belly up the last two years.

This article should be required reading for every single Floridian. Even when you pay outrageous amounts of $$$ for property insurance in Florida, you may not get your claim paid. Ever.

It IS terrible indeed and this is the stuff that the "FLORIDA IS PARADISE" people don't want to be publicized.

Along with the floods, droughts, record heat, outrageous electric bills and constant power outages!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2023, 04:26 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
This article should be required reading for every single Floridian. Even when you pay outrageous amounts of $$$ for property insurance in Florida, you may not get your claim paid. Ever.

It IS terrible indeed and this is the stuff that the "FLORIDA IS PARADISE" people don't want to be publicized.

Along with the floods, droughts, record heat, outrageous electric bills and constant power outages!!!!!!!!!!
For the love of God, don't bust a gut! You have the option of living in one of your many "other" paradises....

Old 08-06-2023, 05:55 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We just received a notice from a company that works for our homeowners insurance company that they need to complete another home inspection.

They requested one in 2017. We are currently in mid policy paid in full.

We have been here in northeast Florida for 34 years and having just retired we are wondering if it is going to come to a point where homeowners insurance and flood insurance is going to eat into our retirement income to much in the very near future.

I know this is part of the cost of living near the coast but so many people signed up for that roof replacement scam in our area I know that contributed a lot to this hot mess in Florida.

We have friends moving out of our area due to the rapid growth, taxes, homeowners insurance and flood insurance.

It’s planted a few seeds in our minds but we thought we were in our final home.

Anyone else thinking insurance costs might become too much of a drain on their income or retirement income?
Well, we figure without any real debt and a good income, living within our means we can swing the increased costs of insurance. We recently got the premium notices for the upcoming year for both our flood and homeowner's policies. The flood insurance premium ( we have never had flood insurance claims) has gone from $800 to $931, and our homeowner's insurance from $3500 to $4676. We're working with our agent to see if a mitigation report done for the house after the new roof was put on ( to current code, with peel and stick underlayment) might help to decrease this premium a bit, we'll see.

But this insurance company has done a decent job at reimbursing us for our hurricane Ian- related damages, so even if their premiums are somewhat higher than others we will stick with them ( maybe the devil you know type thing). We noted they also have raised their coverage limits for inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida