Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2023, 02:45 PM

1,499 posts, read 884,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
We're talking about refrigerators now? From Day 1 my Frigadaire was a horror. I could make a list!
Worst brand..tho Amana a close second
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 05:17 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There was something of a panhandle exemption for many years for reduced code requirements under the faulty assumption that hurricanes that hit that area didn’t get that strong. IIRC, it was changed a few years before Michael hit and demonstrated the fallacy of that argument.

I think we really do need to move the entire state to Miami-Dade code requirements, whining from the building industry be damned. When built to code and properly inspected in order to issue a certificate of occupancy (second part of that is kind of iffy in many parts of Florida) properties built to those higher standards hold up well in severe windstorm conditions.

We're long term Florida residents, and veterans of quite a few hurricanes, with Hurricane Andrew in 1992 being the most destructive for us. We rebuilt our house in Miami to Miami-Dade hurricane codes, with extra rebar in the outside walls, extra bracing and an extra hurricane strap for each truss, metal doors and accordian shutters for the windows.

When we looked for a contractor to build our retirement house in SW FL, we interviewed quite a few looking for someone who would build according to Miami-Dade code requirements, and we found him.

This included the rebar with poured concrete in the CBS around the openings,

double hurricane straps and extra bracing of the trusses in the roof. The doors are metal and open out, we have hurricane impact windows that were put in according to the code at the time the house was built, the garage door is braced, with locks at the sides. We also installed Storm Smart shutters over the openings in the lanai- these provided an extra measure of protection against Ian's winds to that part of the house. We went through the worst of Ian's winds, and the house was undamaged structurally. We lost shingles off the roof, down to the wood, which allowed for water intrusion into the house through the ceilings.

We've had the roof replaced, with shingles according to the Miami Dade hurricane code, with peel and stick underlayment, shingles put in with extra nails- threaded roofing nails. We saw lots of newer shingle roofs that weathered Ian well with no shingle loss, and are hoping this will be true for our house as well in the event of another hurricane.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-topspin View Post
All good comments, but I think the simple answer is if you live in Florida, the "hanging dong" of the United States, you should plan to self-insure. What's the average age here, 80? I don't discount the possibility that my modest Divosta duplex might be destroyed by a storm, but if that happens, the last thing I want to deal with is some grubby insurance company that is WAAAY more knowledgeable about denying compensation than I could ever be at getting compensation.
Until 2018, we still had the Tampa and Jacksonville areas on our retirement list.

Then Hurricane Michael made landfall 60 miles east of us and it was a quick consensus that nope, we just were not going to be going through that kind of stuff at age 80+.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:39 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
All good comments, but I think the simple answer is if you live in Florida, the "hanging dong" of the United States, you should plan to self-insure. What's the average age here, 80? I don't discount the possibility that my modest Divosta duplex might be destroyed by a storm, but if that happens, the last thing I want to deal with is some grubby insurance company that is WAAAY more knowledgeable about denying compensation than I could ever be at getting compensation.
Welp, like everything else, you pays your money and you takes your choices.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
So where are you going to move if you last that long?
Either court volcano danger in the Pacific Northwest or the wildfire risks of Colorado’s front range, with Colorado atop the list because the winters there are generally sunny and there are actually a lot of days from December through February when it’s warmer in Denver than it is in Pensacola. PNW summers are glorious but the Spousal Unit really doesn’t care for the 44F and drizzling weather that’s so common in winter there.

We’ve done the beach since 1998; we figure we’ll give high mountains in the background for the next step in life.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:00 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
The federal flood insurance rate increases have been announced and they weren't shy about pricing. Five of the top ten zip codes for highest increases are in Brevard County with Cocoa Beach leading the state with a whopping 761% average increase annually. Note this is just for flood insurance. Unless we can find a lot more billionaires to buy our houses this might start affecting the real estate market.

How much will flood insurance increase in your ZIP code?

Old 05-12-2023, 11:34 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
The federal flood insurance rate increases have been announced and they weren't shy about pricing. Five of the top ten zip codes for highest increases are in Brevard County with Cocoa Beach leading the state with a whopping 761% average increase annually. Note this is just for flood insurance. Unless we can find a lot more billionaires to buy our houses this might start affecting the real estate market.

How much will flood insurance increase in your ZIP code?

Awww what's another 3, 5, 7 or 10k!
Leave Florida to the billionaires!

Old 05-12-2023, 12:58 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Awww what's another 3, 5, 7 or 10k!
Leave Florida to the billionaires!

Not sure I understand your comment. Do you live in Florida or is Florida just one of your many residences you indicate on your profile? Hawaii? Paris?

Should the Floridians "eat cake" according to your reckoning? How Versailles of you.

Old 05-12-2023, 04:51 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
I hope it will force home prices down 50% gents.

Old 05-13-2023, 04:23 PM

120 posts, read 103,783 times
Family of four you an keep your happy state but not my money. Thanks to your governor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida