Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 08:42 AM

9,121 posts, read 6,174,802 times

Advertisements

A different take on the NY transplants. Point/Counter-point with irony. Don't comment unless you've read the article.

"When everyone was fleeing New York for Florida in 2020, I was among them. Manhattan felt like a mausoleum and Palm Beach County like spring break. I cast my lot with the Sunshine State but more than two years later concede: Florida, you’re no New York."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/florida...hare_permalink

Last edited by Lillie767; 11-07-2022 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 08:58 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
A different take on the NY transplants. Point/Counter-point

"When everyone was fleeing New York for Florida in 2020, I was among them. Manhattan felt like a mausoleum and Palm Beach County like spring break. I cast my lot with the Sunshine State but more than two years later concede: Florida, you’re no New York."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/florida...hare_permalink
Thank God for that!!

Old 11-07-2022, 09:08 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Thank God for that!!

My thoughts exactly!

Old 11-07-2022, 09:18 AM

2,338 posts, read 2,286,565 times
I’m not clear what the author’s point really was. Yes, they’re different. The author doesn’t really state NY is better overall, but just better in some respects which is undoubtedly true.

Old 11-07-2022, 11:16 AM

18,438 posts, read 8,268,923 times
...trashed NY LOL

Old 11-07-2022, 11:18 AM

846 posts, read 682,245 times
It's hard to compare them because each state exists for different reasons. And the people who move from NY to FL do it because they want a very different experience; not the same one.

Old 11-07-2022, 11:22 AM

846 posts, read 682,245 times
If you want lower taxes, better weather, and to retire somewhere, go to Florida.

If you want to be in an artistic and cultural epicenter of the world, with tons of diversity and people to meet, where you can pursue literally anything you want, and tons of career opportunities, go at or near NYC.

You could also say cost of living is lower in Florida, but that's really low-hanging fruit. Because Florida's cost of living is still very high. And most states have better CoL than NY.

That being said, living in Miami would be an in-between compromise. It may not be NYC, but if you want a big city experience with Florida's weather/climate/geography, that's not a bad option.

Old 11-07-2022, 12:47 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
If you want lower taxes, better weather, and to retire somewhere, go to Florida.

If you want to be in an artistic and cultural epicenter of the world, with tons of diversity and people to meet, where you can pursue literally anything you want, and tons of career opportunities, go at or near NYC.

You could also say cost of living is lower in Florida, but that's really low-hanging fruit. Because Florida's cost of living is still very high. And most states have better CoL than NY.

That being said, living in Miami would be an in-between compromise. It may not be NYC, but if you want a big city experience with Florida's weather/climate/geography, that's not a bad option.
I never cared about "cost of living" because there are plenty of places I can afford to live, even on a limited budget of under $2000/month for food, clothing, shelter, transportation, taxes, utilities, tv and phone service, and dinner out once a month.

What's more important to me is the bang for your buck. What is the QUALITY of living, in whichever place I choose to live?

If the only way I can afford to own my own home Florida is to never actually GO anywhere, well I can do much better by renting a 2-bedroom apartment with my spouse and another couple, sharing expenses, in a city environment where we can experience much more - without needing any motor vehicle, or pay any property tax. Yes, the quart of milk at the bodega on the corner will be twice the cost of the half-gallon in the Winn Dixie in Kissimmee. But I get to go to a bodega. I get to experience more food options, more cultural options, more entertainment options, more art, more festivals, more of everything, without having to drive a half our away from home to experience any of it.

Where I am now, is my compromise to not leaving the north at all, because I don't need a car to get anywhere, the taxes are low, there's free music and dancing almost every night, and there are restaurants that can pass, at the very least, for reasonably tasting foods other than steak and meatloaf.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:34 PM

283 posts, read 289,420 times
NY is waaay better. It’s time to move back everyone, let’s go!!!

Old 11-08-2022, 05:33 AM

25,728 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
NY is waaay better. It’s time to move back everyone, let’s go!!!
I concur! Many of the millions of New Yorkers (NYC mostly) who moved to Florida, need to go back to New York City. It's much better there. Sell while the Florida real estate prices are high, & its a seller's market.

Florida is too hot, too humid, too flat, & has no good Chinese restaurants...and the Bagels & Pizza are even worse than the Chinese food.

Those from New York State, outside of NYC's 5 borough's, should stay here though, because Florida's better for them, & they fit in here so much better. The ones from Rochester, & Syracuse, & up that way really appreciate Florida.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 11-08-2022 at 05:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida