Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 11:45 AM

837 posts, read 854,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
NYS had this plan all along. Let all the Moderates and Republicans leave so the the Dems can stay in power and keep their "progressive" agenda: high tax, high spending, woke politics and rampant crime. I lived in NYS for 66 years and I doubt I will ever return. Florida is a Red State, which suits me fine. My property taxes are 1/3 of what they were in NYS. I was paying $700/month in taxes for a modest 240k house. When I listed it for sale, they immediately raised the valuation and taxes even though I hadn't sold it. I would up selling it for less and of course the valuation didn't go down. I used to love going to NYC, where I was born, shopping, business conventions, restaurants, theater, culture etc. It pains me see what has happened to it but that is all in the past. Enjoy your next 4 years NYS, you earned it.
FL is red, but I don't see it as a deep red state in the same vein as AL, MS, and even MO. It's a more sensible red state in that there's still abortion rights due to DeSantis' 20-week abortion law plus the Brightline, a HSR service which will connect Miami to Orlando, will be finished later this year. By 2030, the Brightline will also connect as far as Tampa and Jacksonville.

I wished my old state, PA, has some form of rail connecting Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, but the state GOP and the state Dems can't even come to conclusion on how to make that happen and Shapiro is just going to be as ineffective as his predecessor, Tom Wolf meaning no fracking tax and no intercity rail nor no mass transit expansions. And when it comes to small or large businesses, PA sucks!

Also, a lot of the Republicans are more than just conservative, but also a lot of moderates and even some liberal Republicans especially in Miami-Dade. Perfect example of liberal Republicans are Miami mayor Francis X. Suarez and Maria Elvira Salazar. I have no problems with liberals, as long as they make sense and they don't overreach the authority of parents when it comes to their children.

Miami is "the most liberal city" in FL, but even the liberals in FL are much more sensible than the so-called liberals in NY, Philadelphia, Chicago, and LA (I can only hope Caruso wins over Bass, BTW and if Bass wins, LA is officially the cesspool of CA). I prefer the life of South FL due to the large Afro-Caribbean population in Broward. Now that Rubio and DeSantis won their respective offices, the entire country is going to be looking at FL in a much more favorable light than how they've seen it in the past!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2022, 11:59 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post

Miami is "the most liberal city" in FL,
Not too sure about that…

Desantis won by 12%, and Rubio by 10% in Miami-Dade.

Old 11-09-2022, 12:58 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,863,511 times
Thank gosh. Florida went red, while NY went blue. Thing about Miami is the city has lots of cubans who are mostly Republican. On the flip side, the city also has lots of non hispanic white liberals. Key West is probably the liberal city in the state.

Old 11-09-2022, 01:29 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Thank gosh. Florida went red, while NY went blue. Thing about Miami is the city has lots of cubans who are mostly Republican. On the flip side, the city also has lots of non hispanic white liberals. Key West is probably the liberal city in the state.
nope, Ft Lauderdale

Key West is split almost exactly 50/50 dems and republicans

Lauderdale is around 70/30...Broward went Crist +15

...but Gadsden went an incredible Crist +25

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-governor.html

Last edited by Corrie22; 11-09-2022 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-09-2022, 10:55 PM

56 posts, read 39,447 times
Why do we have members posting about Florida not being New York article?

Hmmm, isn’t there a forum for these arguments……

Old 11-10-2022, 04:45 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaRetired2020 View Post

I thought there was a "place versus place" forum, but when I went looking for it recently, I couldn't find it.

There is a constant flow of non-Floridians attacking our great state here on the FLA C-D forums. Some do so directly, others use various topics to attempt to cloak their attacks (like rising seas, & year-round Hurricanes, low FLA wages, imminent real estate crash). For some, the attacks are politically motivated because FLA is moving right. No matter the topic, we can all spot their hateful motive.

I think they are angry that Florida has prospered for decades, and people are moving to Florida in huge numbers, and leaving the place they live. Sometimes these are friends & family. Some are envious, & may be stuck where they're at, so they lash out at others.

I once read an article a few years ago that said 80% of New Jersey residents would move to Florida, if they could!

When places up North clear out, that leaves more taxes to be paid by each taxpayers remaining there. NY is losing Billions in taxable income each year to Florida, & its worsening.

They make me love Florida even more. They still have to work, and/or don't have enough savings to make it here....I'm semi-retired, & do.

If they move here, & feel FLA's not for them, that is perfectly fine with me...its a free country....move away. It happens all the time. Most who leave have been here for retirement, & now in their 80's, they want to be closer a support system, but others leave after just a few months.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:02 AM

124 posts, read 99,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaRetired2020 View Post

Oh my my, what diff does it make to YOU for godsake? it's the internet, and you're not a moderator are ya?

RELAX

Old 11-10-2022, 10:27 AM

56 posts, read 39,447 times
Thank you Beach for your “kind” response.

RidgeCrossing please stop “harassing” me. Thank you!

Old 11-11-2022, 09:50 AM

837 posts, read 854,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Not too sure about that…

Desantis won by 12%, and Rubio by 10% in Miami-Dade.
I meant in comparison to the rest of the state of FL. Mayor Francis X. Suarez is regarded as a liberal, even though he's registered Republican, as well as Maria Elvira Salazar. Mario Diaz-Balart and Carlos Giminez tend to be more moderate since they both represent liberal to more moderate constituencies. Either way, Miami (and especially Miami Beach) is a fairly liberal city. In SW FL, it's a different ballgame.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:05 AM

383 posts, read 181,467 times
New York, you're no Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida