Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 10:07 AM

8,756 posts, read 5,050,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I’m not clear what the author’s point really was. Yes, they’re different. The author doesn’t really state NY is better overall, but just better in some respects which is undoubtedly true.
I can`t think of a one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
...and they voted accordingly yesterday. FLA is no longer Purple, its solid Red.

I must admit, NYC has better restaurants than FLA...generally speaking. I guess they use a lot more butter, salt, & sugar.

I'm originally from NYC, & I wouldn't move back there under any circumstances. All my relatives who didn't die there, also left, & none returned. NYC is not a place many people return to, they mostly move to NC instead...half-backs.

The more dissimilar FLA is to NYC, the happier I am.
And a lot more rats in those NY restaurants.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:16 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
And a lot more rats in those NY restaurants.

I see more rats in my South Tampa backyard than I ever saw in DC, NYC and Boston combined. I think they call them "citrus or fruit rats" in Tampa. BUT THEY ARE STILL RATS. Kind of like how people in Fla call roaches "Palmetto Bugs." BUT THEY ARE STILL ROACHES.

God forbid you put a birdfeeder out in South Tampa. Your feeder will be covered in rats in an hour.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I see more rats in my South Tampa backyard than I ever saw in DC, NYC and Boston combined. I think they call them "citrus or fruit rats" in Tampa. BUT THEY ARE STILL RATS. Kind of like how people in Fla call roaches "Palmetto Bugs." BUT THEY ARE STILL ROACHES.

God forbid you put a birdfeeder out in South Tampa. Your feeder will be covered in rats in an hour.
Better outside then inside.

Old 11-11-2022, 01:18 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I never cared about "cost of living" because there are plenty of places I can afford to live, even on a limited budget of under $2000/month for food, clothing, shelter, transportation, taxes, utilities, tv and phone service, and dinner out once a month.

What's more important to me is the bang for your buck. What is the QUALITY of living, in whichever place I choose to live?

If the only way I can afford to own my own home Florida is to never actually GO anywhere, well I can do much better by renting a 2-bedroom apartment with my spouse and another couple, sharing expenses, in a city environment where we can experience much more - without needing any motor vehicle, or pay any property tax. Yes, the quart of milk at the bodega on the corner will be twice the cost of the half-gallon in the Winn Dixie in Kissimmee. But I get to go to a bodega. I get to experience more food options, more cultural options, more entertainment options, more art, more festivals, more of everything, without having to drive a half our away from home to experience any of it.

Where I am now, is my compromise to not leaving the north at all, because I don't need a car to get anywhere, the taxes are low, there's free music and dancing almost every night, and there are restaurants that can pass, at the very least, for reasonably tasting foods other than steak and meatloaf.

Why do you compare roommate renting to owning your own place in Florida? Apples to Zebras, non sequitur reasoning. Do you realize your rent is based on the owners expenses, like property insurance/tax. So while you might not get an annual bill you are certainly paying both with your rent check.

Taxes are low is another odd statement. NYC sales tax is 8.75%, FL is 7%. So while you acknowledge the difference in milk prices at a bodega vs a Winn Dixie you think the tax doesn't matter? If you spend 5K a year on taxable items, that's $88 more on top of the NY premium (you mentioned double the markup) on things such as milk. So technically your 5K in items really costs 10K more in NY plus the $176 more in taxes.

The above two contradict your earlier statement:
What's more important to me is the bang for your buck.

Old 11-11-2022, 04:31 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,403,870 times
1. There's no tax on milk.
2. I'm comparing costs combined with quality of living in New York, with costs combined with quality of living in Florida. Because that's what this thread is about - living in NY vs. living in Florida. Because for me, it's more important that *whatever I spend* provides me with the better quality of life. If I spend $2000/month for all expenses in Florida, I'll get more house, more real estate, in Florida for that $2000/month than I will in New York. In New York, I can still spend the same $2000 but I'll have to split the rent and wouldn't be able to afford my own house. But everything OTHER than the home expenses will be superior.

Try to keep up.

Old 11-12-2022, 02:36 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
No matter how much everyone wants to bash NY (and CA for that matter), they BOTH beat Florida when it comes to desirability (the places where people are willing to pay the most $$$$ to live).

They both remain the top two states in the country in terms of where people are willing to pay MAJOR $$$$ to live.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/12/most...in-the-us.html

Old 11-12-2022, 03:20 PM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
No matter how much everyone wants to bash NY (and CA for that matter), they BOTH beat Florida when it comes to desirability (the places where people are willing to pay the most $$$$ to live).

They both remain the top two states in the country in terms of where people are willing to pay MAJOR $$$$ to live.

Yep. And... Till this day, growing cities are still trying to model themselves after NYC. Hence Miami's "claim" as the "6th borough."

Old 11-12-2022, 06:00 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:

Not for this Florida gal! You couldn't PAY ME to live in those hell-holes....I love my sweet little Lakeland... got everything I could ever need....

Old 11-13-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Not for this Florida gal! You couldn't PAY ME to live in those hell-holes....I love my sweet little Lakeland... got everything I could ever need....
Yup....They can spin it anyway they want. People are leaving CA an NY in droves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida