Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 05:48 AM

5,202 posts, read 6,142,795 times

Advertisements

I could never understand this mentality. The United States is a diverse country which has so many areas that are geographically, ethnically, culturally and also has so many climate differences.

People who move and expect those same things to be just like where they came from clearly should not have moved and what is worse is those that move to new locations try to change their new locations politically and socially to appease themselves.

Now I am not talking red and blue but as an example we have two paper mills that have been here since forever with its logging trucks and a small working industrial port. They are both under attack by quite a few affluent retirees relocating here.

You move to an area and adapt not move and change things to feel more like where you came from.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 11-08-2022 at 06:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 06:55 AM

253 posts, read 190,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

You move to an area and adapt not move and change things to feel more like where you came from.
Shout this from the mountaintops....or maybe the top of the sand dues!

Old 11-08-2022, 01:47 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times
Nooyawkers $$$$$$ pensions = big impact on floridas economy.

Old 11-08-2022, 02:28 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Nooyawkers $$$$$$ pensions = big impact on floridas economy.

Funny how a red state full of people who believe that the responsibility for retirement finances rests with the individual now gets to benefit from the pensions of blue staters.

Old 11-08-2022, 02:50 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,275,501 times
...for the first time in history....Florida has more....a lot more....registered republicans than democrats

a lot of those "responsible" republicans came from blue states

Old 11-09-2022, 05:46 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...for the first time in history....Florida has more....a lot more....registered republicans than democrats

a lot of those "responsible" republicans came from blue states
...and they voted accordingly yesterday. FLA is no longer Purple, its solid Red.

I must admit, NYC has better restaurants than FLA...generally speaking. I guess they use a lot more butter, salt, & sugar.

I'm originally from NYC, & I wouldn't move back there under any circumstances. All my relatives who didn't die there, also left, & none returned. NYC is not a place many people return to, they mostly move to NC instead...half-backs.

The more dissimilar FLA is to NYC, the happier I am.

Old 11-09-2022, 07:42 AM

124 posts, read 99,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I could never understand this mentality. The United States is a diverse country which has so many areas that are geographically, ethnically, culturally and also has so many climate differences.

People who move and expect those same things to be just like where they came from clearly should not have moved and what is worse is those that move to new locations try to change their new locations politically and socially to appease themselves.

Now I am not talking red and blue but as an example we have two paper mills that have been here since forever with its logging trucks and a small working industrial port. They are both under attack by quite a few affluent retirees relocating here.

Yep, that's why I hate most of my NY neighbors in my subdivision, albeit the Californians are the absolute worst. That's my experience. My motto is "Go Home and Stay There to make it better". We natives will manage just fine I think.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:04 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
That's why this native NY'er moved here from CA 6 years ago....ALMOST a happy medium between NYC and CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
If you want lower taxes, better weather, and to retire somewhere, go to Florida.

If you want to be in an artistic and cultural epicenter of the world, with tons of diversity and people to meet, where you can pursue literally anything you want, and tons of career opportunities, go at or near NYC.

You could also say cost of living is lower in Florida, but that's really low-hanging fruit. Because Florida's cost of living is still very high. And most states have better CoL than NY.

That being said, living in Miami would be an in-between compromise. It may not be NYC, but if you want a big city experience with Florida's weather/climate/geography, that's not a bad option.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:31 AM

6,417 posts, read 4,913,806 times
NYS had this plan all along. Let all the Moderates and Republicans leave so the the Dems can stay in power and keep their "progressive" agenda: high tax, high spending, woke politics and rampant crime. I lived in NYS for 66 years and I doubt I will ever return. Florida is a Red State, which suits me fine. My property taxes are 1/3 of what they were in NYS. I was paying $700/month in taxes for a modest 240k house. When I listed it for sale, they immediately raised the valuation and taxes even though I hadn't sold it. I would up selling it for less and of course the valuation didn't go down. I used to love going to NYC, where I was born, shopping, business conventions, restaurants, theater, culture etc. It pains me see what has happened to it but that is all in the past. Enjoy your next 4 years NYS, you earned it.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:34 AM

837 posts, read 854,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
NY is waaay better. It’s time to move back everyone, let’s go!!!
I wish I could say that about my old birthplace of Brooklyn. It's not even fun no more and as I get older, I get more cognizant about the fact about how I'm going to raise my family. It's literally no walk in the park no more and I believe that NYC is going to decline with Adams and now Hochul securing a win due to high crime, high cost of living, and now high crime. NYC, along with Philadelphia is going to be a swirling cesspool of jobs, companies, business, and even people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
...and they voted accordingly yesterday. FLA is no longer Purple, its solid Red.

I must admit, NYC has better restaurants than FLA...generally speaking. I guess they use a lot more butter, salt, & sugar.

I'm originally from NYC, & I wouldn't move back there under any circumstances. All my relatives who didn't die there, also left, & none returned. NYC is not a place many people return to, they mostly move to NC instead...half-backs.

The more dissimilar FLA is to NYC, the happier I am.
I believe once Miami truly becomes a world-class city in the same vein as NYC, Chicago, and LA, the restaurants will follow, trust me. The same can be said for Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Tampa, St Petersburg, Orland, and even Jacksonville. FL is America's new shining state on a hill, not NY, not IL, and especially not CA.

Those states are the result of bad management and Uber-liberal policies which are even repelling loyal Dem voters to TX and FL and now that PA has a Dem governor and 2 Dem US Senators, NY, along with NJ, CT, PA, MD, OH, MI, IL, and CA will lose political power in Congress because those states are either driving people away or in the case of PA, not growing enough to sustain those congressional seats.

For the people that want to tough it out in those states, good luck but I can no longer be loyal to states are are not loyal to their citizens and good riddance because TX and FL are going to be for the 21st century the way NY and CA was for the 20th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida