Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 05:11 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Florida rarely gets hurricanes anymore. Was more common in the olden days.
They got a killer back in 2018 in the pan handle randle, since our falls are so hot well into Nov with crazy above normal gulf water temps. We don't have real falls anymore since 2011. Now it is 90's into Nov and soon to be year round at the rate of the super heating the planet is seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 07:23 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
They got a killer back in 2018 in the pan handle randle, since our falls are so hot well into Nov with crazy above normal gulf water temps. We don't have real falls anymore since 2011. Now it is 90's into Nov and soon to be year round at the rate of the super heating the planet is seeing.

Do I remember correctly that you keep a daily weather journal? I was struck by your "2011" reference. Exactly how was the weather in your Tampa area location in the first decade of this century, and earlier, different from the prevailing weather today?

It would be great if you could provide some specifics based on your journal, if my memory is correct and you do keep one.

Obviously, 90-degree highs daily with high humidity will result in a very unpleasant atmosphere.

Higher ocean temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico off Florida obviously raise the risk of more powerful and rapidly accelerating hurricanes, which in recent years have been pounding the Florida panhandle. Eventually, it seems likely, one will devastate some area along the Florida west coast. Barrier islands with 3-foot elevations would seem especially vulnerable.

Next time?

<<Mayor Kevin Ruane believed Irma would wipe Sanibel from the map.

He said the storm could have treated the barrier island much worse after assessing some of the damages Monday afternoon. Captiva, to its north, faces similar circumstances. There was no evidence of structural damage, but palm fronds and tree branches were in the middle of the roadway. >>

https://www.news-press.com/story/wea...ief/655544001/

<<In the car, on a walk, in the early, unfiltered hours of the morning I’m hit by unstoppable waves of grief. In 20 to 40 years, my childhood home of Sanibel Island will not exist as it does now.

Visiting the coast is bittersweet for me as I watch the coastline slip back into the sea. At times I am completely overcome by the enormity of the climate crisis.

As a Gulf Coast barrier island with an unusual east-west orientation, Sanibel Island is particularly vulnerable to sea-level rise and hurricanes. Forty-eight percent of the island is already water, and the rest of the island never rises much more than three feet above sea level.

As I watched Irma hit South Florida, I realized how limited my time was to find closure with my place on earth. Would it be this storm, or the next one, or simply the steadily rising seas that would lead to the final, irreparable damage?>>

https://www.captivasanibel.com/2019/...ewell-sanibel/

Last edited by WRnative; 06-09-2022 at 07:38 AM..

Old 06-09-2022, 04:10 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Do I remember correctly that you keep a daily weather journal? I was struck by your "2011" reference. Exactly how was the weather in your Tampa area location in the first decade of this century, and earlier, different from the prevailing weather today?

It would be great if you could provide some specifics based on your journal, if my memory is correct and you do keep one.

Obviously, 90-degree highs daily with high humidity will result in a very unpleasant atmosphere.

Higher ocean temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico off Florida obviously raise the risk of more powerful and rapidly accelerating hurricanes, which in recent years have been pounding the Florida panhandle. Eventually, it seems likely, one will devastate some area along the Florida west coast. Barrier islands with 3-foot elevations would seem especially vulnerable.

Next time?

He said the storm could have treated the barrier island much worse after assessing some of the damages Monday afternoon. Captiva, to its north, faces similar circumstances. There was no evidence of structural damage, but palm fronds and tree branches were in the middle of the roadway. >>

<<In the car, on a walk, in the early, unfiltered hours of the morning I’m hit by unstoppable waves of grief. In 20 to 40 years, my childhood home of Sanibel Island will not exist as it does now.

Visiting the coast is bittersweet for me as I watch the coastline slip back into the sea. At times I am completely overcome by the enormity of the climate crisis.

As a Gulf Coast barrier island with an unusual east-west orientation, Sanibel Island is particularly vulnerable to sea-level rise and hurricanes. Forty-eight percent of the island is already water, and the rest of the island never rises much more than three feet above sea level.

As I watched Irma hit South Florida, I realized how limited my time was to find closure with my place on earth. Would it be this storm, or the next one, or simply the steadily rising seas that would lead to the final, irreparable damage?>>

And yet with all that melodrama.... .. would he speak out against the endless and continued development of those coastal areas in SW FL? Development that seems to continue, and even escalate as the masses flock to the Sunshine State and make their demands known.

Old 06-09-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Next time?

I started keeping records when i lived in Tampa in the 70's until i move on the gulf just northwest of Tampa 28 miles in 2004. Everything changed for good since 1990 and after 2011 we saw a big ramp up in heating. Our falls thru springs have been well above normal since 2011. Just look up any temps in FL and avg out the below normal vs above normal temps and see what wins by a long shot. I know we get some peeps on here that have no clue saying it has not warmed up. 2010 we saw a freak 150 year event winter setup that saw very cold temps for 3 months from Jan till March. Ever since it has been off the charts warm.

We will never see the real winters of 1980,81,82,83, 84,85 and 86 and 89 ever again in over 140 lifetimes when Tampa saw temps of 19f to 24f year after year.

Then we got our summertime pattern that changed for good in the late 80's from a southeast flow to a west flow most of every summer. Living right on the gulf we get very little rain most of the summer vs just a few miles inland as rain builds and moves away toward the east coast.

Soon FL will be so dry year round and hot that not many will want to live here out past 40 years.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I started keeping records when i lived in Tampa in the 70's until i move on the gulf just northwest of Tampa 28 miles in 2004. Everything changed for good since 1990 and after 2011 we saw a big ramp up in heating. Our falls thru springs have been well above normal since 2011. Just look up any temps in FL and avg out the below normal vs above normal temps and see what wins by a long shot. I know we get some peeps on here that have no clue saying it has not warmed up. 2010 we saw a freak 150 year event winter setup that saw very cold temps for 3 months from Jan till March. Ever since it has been off the charts warm.

We will never see the real winters of 1980,81,82,83, 84,85 and 86 and 89 ever again in over 140 lifetimes when Tampa saw temps of 19f to 24f year after year.

Then we got our summertime pattern that changed for good in the late 80's from a southeast flow to a west flow most of every summer. Living right on the gulf we get very little rain most of the summer vs just a few miles inland as rain builds and moves away toward the east coast.

Soon FL will be so dry year round and hot that not many will want to live here out past 40 years.

Thanks for the elaboration!

Old 06-10-2022, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the elaboration!
Time peeps wake up blake and see we are warming at a faster rate as time goes by. Out past 70 years this planet will be a sad place to live on for the most part.

Old 06-11-2022, 08:43 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Time peeps wake up blake and see we are warming at a faster rate as time goes by. Out past 70 years this planet will be a sad place to live on for the most part.
70 years is a blink in Earth's time. We could be headed right for another Ice Age for all we know. We could be in a brief heating surge before the next Ice Age hits us...2 million years from now.

Hurricane's directly impact <1% of Floridians each year. 99% are unscathed. I like my chances, especially since I'm 8 miles inland, on a high dry lot, in a newer home rated at 160 mph.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
70 years is a blink in Earth's time. We could be headed right for another Ice Age for all we know. We could be in a brief heating surge before the next Ice Age hits us...2 million years from now.

Hurricane's directly impact <1% of Floridians each year. 99% are unscathed. I like my chances, especially since I'm 8 miles inland, on a high dry lot, in a newer home rated at 160 mph.
We will be cold again after 3400 years.

Old 07-25-2022, 04:30 PM

Default Historical update to 2022 hurricane season

This is a very good article discussing the history of Atlantic and Caribbean hurricane seasons and updating factors impacting the 2022 season. Bottomline, the season normally doesn't take off until August and September, although in recent years the first Atlantic hurricane has formed in July.

<<July has been relatively quiet in the tropics thanks to strong winds aloft and dry, dusty air coming off the coast of Africa.

Strong winds higher-up in the atmosphere help prevent thunderstorms from further developing into potential tropical systems while the dry, dusty air helps stabilize the atmosphere.

But, we are now approaching August. This is normally the month where the dust subsides, and the environmental conditions across the Atlantic Basin become more conducive for potential tropical development.>>

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/bl...n-the-atlantic

I wonder if the paucity of hurricanes and tropical storms so far in 2022 isn't a bad development. Named storms help dissipate the heat building in the oceans. Without them, if conditions do turn favorable for development, the fuel available for any storm may be greater.

I wonder if there is any source of information that tracks both ocean heat levels and conditions, such as prevailing winds, that factor into hurricane development. If not, there should be....

I had never before heard of the "Main Development Region." What are the historical conditions there now?

<<This region is the MDR because it accounts for 60% of all named storms that form in the Atlantic. It also accounts for a whopping 85% of all hurricanes that form.

The region allows weak tropical waves off the coast of Africa to power up into tropical storms and hurricanes as they move westward.>>

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/...rricane-season

Old 07-25-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

And earth may be smashed by an asteroid next week. Typical absurdity. Any intelligent person who follows greenhouse gas levels in the atmosphere and the historical analogs knows that we aren't heading for any ice age. See surface temperature and ocean temperature here, noting the human drivers.

https://climate.nasa.gov/climate_res...nge-1850-2018/

https://climate.nasa.gov/climate_res...arbon-dioxide/

https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

As always with your statements, you don't substantiate or even explain your claim that hurricanes directly impact less than 1 percent of Floridians (less than 220,000 persons) each year. That seems ridiculously low, but it would be an incredibly interesting statistic, if quantified and documented!

And perhaps what matters most, especially in the years ahead given rapid hurricane intensification, will be the INDIRECT impact of hurricanes/sea level rise on the Florida insurance markets, as repeatedly discussed elsewhere in this forum. E.g., do a search for "Spencer Glendon insurance." Glendon is a top expert on the financial impact of climate change and has focused on climate change's impact on insurance markets.

Will a major hurricane striking any highly developed region in the U.S. in 2022 be a catalyst for a financial crisis in Florida?

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/h...urance-crisis/

Last edited by WRnative; 07-25-2022 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida