Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 09:58 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Florida is certainly isn't for everyone, with that said you don't have to be rich or a retiree to enjoy Florida, but you do need a stable income tho.
I enjoyed Florida, even when I was living in my car in the 1980's, so I'll have to agree with you.

I also enjoyed being a college student here too, even though I was nearly penniless.

Being well-off is a lot better though. I like knowing where my next meal is coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 12:01 PM

112 posts, read 134,720 times
Absolutely! Florida is a great place to live, I love it here. Overall good weather, sunshine, mild winters, fantastic.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,362 times
We have been here for just over a year and it is soooo much better, in every way, than we had anticipated! CityData was so negative about our area that we were reluctant to move and considered Arizona and California but so happy that we moved to Florida. Less than 4 miles to the Atlantic Ocean, warm weather, friendly people, great trails for running/hiking, wildlife galore and so much more! Happy Life in Palm Coast and the Flagler Beaches!

Old 01-26-2022, 12:22 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
We moved here from the midwest almost 40 years ago. The last winter before the big move was one of those typical gloomy winters where there were more cloudy days than sunshine for several months, the ice never seemed to melt on the parking lots and to put the icing on the cake we had several very substantial snowfalls that took days to dig out from. I was driving a VW bug then and in the winter months you could have the windshield defrosted or heat on your feet but not both. Since I had to see to drive, my feet were always cold...... even with 2 pairs of socks and thick boots. I caught a cold that I could not seem to get rid of for weeks and vowed then that it was my last winter "up north."

We moved to FL the next fall and the entire first winter I don't recall putting on so much as a sweater. Our neighbor laughed at us and said wait until the next winter, we'd be wearing coats and complaining when the temperatures went below 70.

The grass was green all winter, flowers bloomed, we had beautiful blue skies with lots of sunshine. Produce stands used to pop up all over the place to sell local veggies and fruits. Just north of University Parkway (then called County Line Road) was acres and acres of orange groves. The scent of those orange trees in bloom was something I'll never forget. Heavenly. Then there were the beaches, lots and lots of beautiful public beaches to visit.

Yes it's hot and humid for several months in the summer. But I can endure the summer months knowing each winter I get to fall in love with Florida all over again.

Old 11-08-2023, 06:25 PM

23 posts, read 14,872 times
There is nothing “laid back” about Florida. It’s a myth!

Old 11-08-2023, 06:48 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,896,864 times
I have enjoyed every minute since I got away from liberal, woke, tax crazy crime infested NYS. My taxes are 1/5 of what I was paying there. I was paying 8700 on a 240k home, that's more than 700 month, which was a good chunk of my SS retirement check. I don't miss the snow, falling on the ice, breaking my back shoveling and my surly neighbors. My only regret is not moving here sooner

Old 11-09-2023, 03:44 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Florida makes my life even better this time of year, after the heat breaks. Nov-April are the best months for me.

After several years of snowbird mania, that can chip away at you, but the alternative is bad weather up North...no thx.

I modify my life here Nov-April to avoid the crowds. 5-7pm is no-go time for me now. I avoid retail areas weekends until after 5.

Florida's not as laid back as it used to be in my area (SW FLA), but I could move further inland, if laid back was critical to me.

I'd rather deal w/ some traffic/crowds to live only 15-20 mins from the Gulf. That's my happy zone. That zone varies depending upon where you live in FLA. I'm not sure it still exists in SE FLA. West Boca to the beach must be 45+ mins now. On that side of FLA, I'd need to be up in Indian River County.

I don't do high-density..in Florida, or anywhere else, now that I don't have to.

I visited my old area (North ATL metro) recently, & it reminded me that FLA definitely makes my life better. I can root for the Dawgs & Braves from here.

Old 11-12-2023, 11:53 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Florida makes my life even better this time of year, after the heat breaks. Nov-April are the best months for me.

After several years of snowbird mania, that can chip away at you, but the alternative is bad weather up North...no thx.

I modify my life here Nov-April to avoid the crowds. 5-7pm is no-go time for me now. I avoid retail areas weekends until after 5.

Florida's not as laid back as it used to be in my area (SW FLA), but I could move further inland, if laid back was critical to me.

I'd rather deal w/ some traffic/crowds to live only 15-20 mins from the Gulf. That's my happy zone. That zone varies depending upon where you live in FLA. I'm not sure it still exists in SE FLA. West Boca to the beach must be 45+ mins now. On that side of FLA, I'd need to be up in Indian River County.

I don't do high-density..in Florida, or anywhere else, now that I don't have to.

I visited my old area (North ATL metro) recently, & it reminded me that FLA definitely makes my life better. I can root for the Dawgs & Braves from here.
It seems the 1980s is when Atlanta became really unbearable. I mean the growth and traffic.

I would think 50 years ago Atlanta wasn't bad. More temperate weather and a major city but not nearly as bad as today with the traffic and crime.

If Atlanta was the size of St. Louis or Nashville I probably wouldn't mind living there due to their economy and all but just too big for my taste. Mainly the highway layout I HATE about Atlanta.

SWFL is getting too dense. The main thing with me is it's mostly Northeastern people moving here. Too fast paced, arrogant unlike the upper south, or midwestern people that used to be the majority around here. They far outnumber midwesterners, Canadians and southerners now that used to be the majority in SWFL. I'm from Missouri so I get along with those folks more. More in common.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:39 AM

472 posts, read 547,156 times
I'm here for the beach, palm trees, sunny days and no snow. Florida has delivered in spades.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:14 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Has living in Florida made your life better?
My quality of life and happiness has certainly increased since I moved here in 2016. Some of that can be attributed to outside factors besides where I live, but a lot can also be attributed to moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida