Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:19 AM

73 posts, read 346,782 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Miss., Al, & Fl. I'm now living in the Tampa Bay area. It must have to do with the individual areas, because Yukon feels he's in the South, but I feel like I'm in "the southernmost state of the north". Of course there are exceptions, but for the most part people around here are NOT friendly. If I'm out walking & pass someone they usually will respond to my "hello" but uncomfortably, like they're frightened. When I was living in Mobile it was not at all unusual to strike up a conversation with someone in the checkout line at Delchamps, but here in Florida people are either too busy or suspicious or just plain unfriendly, I'm just not sure what the deal is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 8,202 times
I am a native of Louisiana who has lived the majority of my 8 years in Florida in South Florida. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is NOTHING southern about South Florida except it's proximity to the equator! What makes a region Southern is it's people and culture. Places south of the Mason-Dixon line are typically considered Southern in culture. There is no Southern culture in South Florida. To have Southern culture, you must have Southern people. Without the people, it just doesn't exist. Sorry.

Orlando and the North Florida, while still full of transplants, yankee or foreign, are more like the rest of the South.

Last edited by mshellnfl; 03-02-2008 at 10:08 AM..

Old 03-03-2008, 08:35 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,675 times
I used to think the Deep South ended somewhere around just north of I-4 and the counties bordering it... but not so much anymore. Maybe 15-20 years ago while I was growing up there... but now I'd say most of the panhandle is still very "Southern"... all the counties around Big Bend, extending toward Alachua, Putnam, Clay, etc.

And I wouldn't forget Florida's "heartland". All those counties beginning with an "H" around Lake Okeechobee.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:20 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,245,233 times
If you live in SE Florida, it does not seem like the South at all. Everyone is from NY (including me). LOL

Old 07-02-2008, 03:27 AM

16 posts, read 97,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkie2 View Post
I've lived in Miss., Al, & Fl. I'm now living in the Tampa Bay area. It must have to do with the individual areas, because Yukon feels he's in the South, but I feel like I'm in "the southernmost state of the north". Of course there are exceptions, but for the most part people around here are NOT friendly. If I'm out walking & pass someone they usually will respond to my "hello" but uncomfortably, like they're frightened. When I was living in Mobile it was not at all unusual to strike up a conversation with someone in the checkout line at Delchamps, but here in Florida people are either too busy or suspicious or just plain unfriendly, I'm just not sure what the deal is.
I agree with you, havin just moved from Tampa a month ago(lived there nine months) back to LA(Lower Alabama-The panhandles nickname for itself). I'd say out of the total population of the area only about ten percent have southern roots. What many people dont know is that most of the people who own and farm orange groves have midwestern roots(and most german before that) which means alot of south-central florida was never originally southern.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:42 AM

147 posts, read 568,699 times
Palm Coast seems to be a sixth borough of New York City.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:33 AM

17 posts, read 68,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Where does the "southern hospitality" cut off to become the "new urbanism"?
Southern Hospitality is dead. I've helped kill any vestiges that were left of it, and didn't realize it until today.

I was born in Gainesville and used to be the sweetest li'l southern girl you could ever know. I'd smile and say, "Hug my neck and give me some sugar!" every time I saw you. But something has changed, gradually growing a malcontented feeling in my soul, turning me into a real b*tch that can't even say "thank you" when you hold the door open for me.

I'm weary of being an oddity in my own home. I'm so sick of the "So where are you from? - There aren't many natives left" conversation that my answer is now a perfunctory, "I don't discuss that topic any more". My home has lost its cultural identity, any sense of community, all traditional social customs that bind us into a real society. I don't know my neighbors, and I don't care to. They buy low, constantly complain, sell high, then trot off to grub for more green in SC. I don't know anyone who truly LIVES here any more.

Today I lost it. My mother asked a couple in our tiny town, "I don't recognize you good folks! You just move here?" He rudely answered while tossing a cup on the sidewalk, "We're visiting from NJ just like everyone else around here." Matching his rudeness, I informed him of how many people actually ARE from here, show some respect and pick up your damned trash, which is so not my style...

I've lost my personal identity. I'm detached from my Southern heritage, the only heritage I know. Southern Hospitality is gone, because Southerners are gone.

Last edited by funy; 07-03-2008 at 01:20 AM..

Old 07-03-2008, 01:25 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funy View Post
Southern Hospitality is dead. I've helped kill any vestiges that were left of it, and didn't realize it until today.

I was born in Gainesville and used to be the sweetest li'l southern girl you could ever know. I'd smile and say, "Hug my neck and give me some sugar!" every time I saw you. But something has changed, gradually growing a malcontented feeling in my soul, turning me into a real b*tch that can't even say "thank you" when you hold the door open for me.

I'm weary of being an oddity in my own home. I'm so sick of the "So where are you from? - There aren't many natives left" conversation that my answer is now a perfunctory, "I don't discuss that topic any more". My home has lost its cultural identity, any sense of community, all traditional social customs that bind us into a real society. I don't know my neighbors, and I don't care to. They buy low, constantly complain, sell high, then trot off to grub for cheaper pastures in SC. I don't know anyone who truly LIVES here any more.

Today I lost it. My mother asked a couple in our tiny town, "I don't recognize you good folks! You just move here?" He rudely answered while tossing a cup on the sidewalk, "We're visiting from NJ just like everyone else around here." Matching his rudeness, I informed him of how many people actually ARE from here, show some respect and pick up your damned trash, which is so not my style...

I've lost my personal identity. I'm detached from my Southern heritage, the only heritage I know. Southern Hospitality is gone, because Southerners are gone.
Wow what a coincidence and this thread got bumped at the same time.

Well I hope you find what you're looking for with your move to Europe. No crowds, hospitality towards Americans, no littering, nobody daring to visit other places that they have no right to invade from the other end of the continent, and definitely no bunch of European ingrates daring to buy low and sell high lol.........(from your other thread)

Old 07-03-2008, 06:28 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Europe is going to be a rude awakening for this person. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Europe is going to be a rude awakening for this person. That's all I'm gonna say about that.
I know, right? Bless her heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida