Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:05 PM

301 posts, read 368,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You have not provided anything to back up your racist, bigoted, uninformed opinions. You should study immigration to the U.S. in the late 19th an early 20th centuries as your opinion is as biased as that of the anti immigration crowd of that time. You should study the living conditions of the immigrants then as well. It takes effort to overcome stupidity.
Here we go Ms. Incompetence -- We have yet one more FACTUAL example how illegal Cubans are ripping off America and hard working honest Americans! All from where else, but the beloved wonderful and law abiding people of Miami.

Health Care, Medicare Fraud: Cuba Becomes Haven for White-Collar Criminals - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:03 PM

301 posts, read 368,438 times
Quote:
You have not provided anything to back up your racist, bigoted, uninformed opinions. You should study immigration to the U.S. in the late 19th an early 20th centuries as your opinion is as biased as that of the anti immigration crowd of that time. You should study the living conditions of the immigrants then as well. It takes effort to overcome stupidity.
Here ya go lady.... Click and learn about why America's illegal immigration problems is a serious problem today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV7JILRugOg

Begin watching at 42:40.

Current Reform Begins at 1:09:28

Old 12-17-2015, 10:15 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,871 times
Quote:
"Powered by more than half a million private sector companies, $153 billion in international trade and a labor force of 9.7 million, Florida’s $800 billion economy rivals those of the world’s largest countries–in fact, if Florida were a country, it would have the 19th largest economy in the world. The state’s strategic geographic location and massive consumer base–19.9 million residents and 100 million annual visitors–are particularly advantageous for businesses."

Florida's Economy: Research and Data | Enterprise Florida

Your view is at least, outdated.
I just said that retirees and tourism and second home owners and snowbirds is not how to build a strong economy? I want to move to florida as alot of my family is there and it is where I went to school, but the job market in the tech field is very poor and the job growth is not like Governor Scott says it is, it is not in the high tech field at all

Scott keeps touting the florida private sector growth rate but from the tampa bay times" " a dominating 97 percent of the job sector growth rate is in the traditionally lower-paying service-providing sector and only 500 jobs are in the goods-producing category." http://www.ooyuz.com/geturl?aid=9116044

very good article

Service Specter: Rick Scott’s Job-Growth Puffery Masks Florida’s Low-Wage Future

"This mirrors years of Florida job growth in predominantly low-pay, no-benefits, dead-end jobs. It also reflects years of Team Scott focusing on tourism, travel and leisure industries as drivers of post-recession economic growth.
Working middle-class Floridians know how stagnant wages and incomes have been for years now."

Rick Scott

Old 12-18-2015, 07:32 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,510,276 times
I haven't experienced this hospitality in Florida. I imagine in an atmosphere of a here today gone tomorrow type population. Then that type of personality trait would be far and few between in Florida. Maybe its more so, if one is from here. Someone that has been established in the state for many years. For transplants Florida can seem disconnected and difficult to find like minded people. That's not a slant on the place, but hey places are what they are. What I speak of is pretty much Florida. It doesn't have a stable population or economic base. That does have an impact on the personality of the place. I see people wave and go on their way. It doesn't seem to be a very outgoing place. Many just seem to be on a continuous vacation, and no real time for much conversation. Unless of course it is someone from where they hail from. Or some will talk, then the next time you briefly pass them by. Then its a quick wave and go on their way. No I'm sorry I just don't see the hospitality. I honestly think many have little experience with varied populations before coming here. Many must come from small town America or Canada. Believe me it shows.

I can't say I have experienced any of this southern hospitality at all. I have experienced people that their business practices, would border shady and not very trustworthy. I think Florida is a prime location to be taken advantage of. Especially an older person on limited income. I still go on with life here, but I am being honest. I am also being very cautious about life in this state. As for the hospitality. Does it really exist much anymore anywhere.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:07 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
Try a different source of information besides the local newspaper.

A few years ago, the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Florida was recorded to be $734.5 billion,which made it the fourth largest economy in the United States. I doubt that retirees and snowbirds had much to do with that. Tourism? Certainly. What many fail to understand is that "tourism" has employment opportunities that arent about pressing the start button on the Dumbo ride at WDW.

"Ranked 5th in the nation for high-tech employment by TechAmerica’s Cyberstates report, Florida boasts nearly 267,500 high-tech workers"

Read more: Workforce | Enterprise Florida

Here's the latest BLS numbers....

Florida Economy at a Glance

Want hi-tech? Florida High Tech Corridor »

Every other guy I run into is in "hi tech".

Oh, and the future of the US job market.... The Job Openings of the Future Will Be Largely Low-Wage - US News

You say FL has stagnant wages. Look at the nation as a whole.... http://www.epi.org/publication/stagnant-wages-in-2014/
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post

I just said that retirees and tourism and second home owners and snowbirds is not how to build a strong economy? I want to move to florida as alot of my family is there and it is where I went to school, but the job market in the tech field is very poor and the job growth is not like Governor Scott says it is, it is not in the high tech field at all

Scott keeps touting the florida private sector growth rate but from the tampa bay times" " a dominating 97 percent of the job sector growth rate is in the traditionally lower-paying service-providing sector and only 500 jobs are in the goods-producing category." Florida job growth flat, but still third-largest creator of private sector jobs : Related Articles | OOYUZ

very good article

Service Specter: Rick Scott’s Job-Growth Puffery Masks Florida’s Low-Wage Future

"This mirrors years of Florida job growth in predominantly low-pay, no-benefits, dead-end jobs. It also reflects years of Team Scott focusing on tourism, travel and leisure industries as drivers of post-recession economic growth.
Working middle-class Floridians know how stagnant wages and incomes have been for years now."

Rick Scott

Old 12-18-2015, 10:45 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
You use the term "Guido" but that's not a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git Her Done View Post
The meaning of a Troll is someone who baits another by calling him or her derogatory names-Where is Moderator Doggiebus when we need her? If you want proof -- Google it -- It's all there.

Immigrants of that time created enclaves. Many still exist in many states. "Chinatown" in NYC is still there, "Little Italy" - one in Manhattan and one in the Bronx are much smaller than they used to be but thrive on.

Completely False Accusation. Those immigrants coming to the United States in the time frame you suggested (late 19th-early 20th) are day and night different from the recent waves of immigrants coming during this current era of today--The late 20th to early 21st century. Today's immigrants, not all, but most are poor and uneducated and many don't want to assimilate in to the American way or life and many don't care about America or our history. Many don't speak one word of english nor do they care to learn english. Not to mention all the recent online article by the reputable Sun Sentinal proving factually how many immigrants-mostly Cubans are raping American Tax Payers by reaping benefits and cash while living in Cuba. See ALL Links below for the FACTS ....

Plundering America: The Cuban Criminal Pipeline

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...mepage%2Fstory

U.S. welfare flows to Cuba - Sun Sentinel

More Cubans immigrating in old age - Sun Sentinel

Florida politicians protect special status for Cubans - Sun Sentinel

I live among the wonderful Latin people as I love all people including Latinos/Brasilians as I own homes in Peru and Brazil. (and Moderator Doggiebus can easily confirm this by viewing my IP numbers). I also live near South Florida AND my family was part of the original settlers to Homestead in the 1940s.

You have your opinion as I have mine, and I stand by my opinion that your opinions are of incompetence.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:29 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Was it part of the English crown or Spanish crown? If the former, it is Southern in culture most likely. If the latter, then NO as Hispanic culture is not a significant Southern identifier. Miami is Caribbean but pan Caribbean. While some West Indies culture has Southern similarity the Spanish Caribbean does not. Charleston can be put in the Bahamas but not in Cuba or PR.

Jacksonville is Southern. Orlando and further South are not.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:33 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
y'all come back, ya hear? that's something you don't hear or see anymore in south Florida. I remember when even Winn Dixie had that over their exits, but no one does that anymore. I guess that all the northeasterners and immigrants from Latin America changed that idea. Where does the "southern hospitality" cut off to become the "new urbanism"?
That never really was South Florida historically. South Florida was always Spanish dominated.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:10 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,337,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post

Scott keeps touting the florida private sector growth rate but from the tampa bay times" " a dominating 97 percent of the job sector growth rate is in the traditionally lower-paying service-providing sector and only 500 jobs are in the goods-producing category." http://www.ooyuz.com/geturl?aid=9116044

very good article

Rick Scott
Pretty decent article.

Florida is never going to be a state like Texas that is diversified in big, good paying job industries like Oil, gas and tech. FL will always be dominated by the service industry with low paying jobs in general.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:58 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,641,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
y'all come back, ya hear? that's something you don't hear or see anymore in south Florida. I remember when even Winn Dixie had that over their exits, but no one does that anymore. I guess that all the northeasterners and immigrants from Latin America changed that idea. Where does the "southern hospitality" cut off to become the "new urbanism"?
If it has a Publix, then it's part of the "Deep South Bible Belt".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida