Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 06:07 PM

17 posts, read 39,927 times

Advertisements

Figured I should update this thread with my experiences. I ended up staying in Flagler Beach for all of January and half of February in a small second floor apartment on A1A with a huge deck overlooking the ocean. It was wonderful!

Although the town was severely impacted by Hurricane Matthew, it seemed mostly back to normal when I stayed. The pier was damaged, and is not yet open to foot traffic. Part of A1A has been temporarily rebuilt one lane inland, and several of the beach walkovers on the south side of town are closed. There is definitely a bit more garbage strewn about than I remember, and some buildings are still being repaired.

On the other hand, almost all businesses are back up and running, and in fact two new restaurants opened when I was there.

I think that Flagler Beach is close to perfect for what I am looking for, but I can see how it would be not so perfect for others. For me, having several (good) restaurants, bars, convenience store, etc. in walking distance is ideal. Two supermarkets across the bridge (5-10 minutes), 3 miles to route 95, and several other shopping options either across 95 or up one exit in Palm Coast is plenty for 99 percent of what I would need to buy in a brick and mortar store. For those that have more specific shopping needs, perhaps the local options are limited. And, it's definitely an older crowd than I am used to...this is not necessarily a huge problem for me as I'm past needing to go out late frequently, but I can see that it might be worth considering that for someone younger. Also of note, half of the town seems to be closed on Mondays which is kind of odd.

Certainly the key factor in my case is that I am able to work remotely, and so I do not need to rely on a good paying job within an easy commuting distance. I can imagine this would be a challenge for those who do, as the majority of local jobs would seem to be service sector jobs that cater to tourists or retirees, or in building trades. Even though traffic was virtually nonexistent, I don't think there are many great opportunities in Daytona or St Augustine either, and it's really just out of "comfortable" commuting distance to Orlando or Jacksonville.

Considering the town is between the ocean and the intracoastal, the natural environment is spectacular, and there are many beautiful natural wonders to see on even the shortest walk. Many excellent non-chain restaurants and shops, and fact that the town is built right on the ocean so that all can enjoy the seaside atmosphere seemed to give most passersby a smile on their face more often than not.

For some personal reasons I don't think the time is right for a permanent move down there, but I am definitely making Flagler Beach my "winter spot" going forward. It's nice to be able to look forward to January!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 02:52 PM

38 posts, read 115,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEmm View Post
For some personal reasons I don't think the time is right for a permanent move down there, but I am definitely making Flagler Beach my "winter spot" going forward. It's nice to be able to look forward to January!
It's been 5 years. Have you moved, or are you still just spending the winters?

Old 04-16-2024, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 61 times
Default Request for 2024 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEmm View Post
Figured I should update this thread with my experiences.

Hi JayEmm. It’s been a few years since your last update. I’m planning to move to Florida in the next several months and just discovered Flagler Beach via Zillow last night. After reading the thread of messages that started with your post back in 2016, I’m wondering if you have since moved to Florida. If so, did you indeed move to Flagler Beach or to another town? Also, would you mind sharing the info on where you were able to rent an apartment in Flagler Beach on a monthly basis. Thank you, and I hope all is well with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida