Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 06:05 PM

17 posts, read 39,927 times

Advertisements

Jambo, thanks for sharing your experiences with Flagler Beach. I was there on a Friday and Saturday, and while it certainly wasn't deserted, the crowds were not bad at all, especially as I went further from the pier. I can imagine that during the week it would be pretty sleepy. I did notice one afternoon I was there that it was very windy, like a constant 20 mph on the beach. I'm not sure if this is normal, or if it just happened to be a very windy day?

Kyle, I did look a bit more into the places further south in Brevard County that you recommended. They look very nice and do seem to have more nearby amenities and are more upscale (and expensive), but I think they are not really what I'm looking for. Next time I'm in FL I will try and see that area in person, however.

As for having to go to Palm Coast for shopping, I don't really have a problem with that. Looks like it's only about a 15 minute drive, and I'm not the type of person that needs to go to Bed Bath and Beyond or similar places on a frequent basis. And even so, I think shopping districts like that are going to be mostly unpleasant just about anywhere. Perhaps we just have different opinions on what is important to us?

ExpatCA, yes people park along the highway (for free), and I had no problem at all with this on a pleasant Saturday afternoon in May. I'm sure when it's very busy it's probably about a half mile walk to the pier...but big deal if it's beautiful out!

I'd love to hear more opinions on Flagler Beach...especially what it's like in the winter since I would probably try it out with a seasonal rental before making the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 10:06 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Flagler Beach is pretty small with almost all traffic flowing on A1A. Getting on A1A from a side street or parking lot can be a pain. There isn't much room for housing so housing prices are higher than a lot of beachside areas in Volusia. Flagler will has a high percentage of of short term (1 week) rental properties so it is a permanent spring break area and has few full time residents.

If you work from home, a good internet connection is critical. Avoid any houses where you can only get DSL, no matter what speed they claim they can provide. Copper wire rots fast beachside and your connectivity will degrade. Linemen I've talked too says they are lucky if beachside copper wire lasts 5 years. My guess is Brighthouse and AT&T are the provides in Flagler. I live 8 miles south in Ormond by the Sea and was told to avoid Brighthouse if I needed to use the Internet for work. Get local advice for what the situation is for folks who work on the web in Flagler.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:59 AM

Fredesch, thanks for the good advice. I'm not too worried about the traffic...as a New Englander, I'm used to narrow busy streets, and it seemed to me that the side streets were not heavily used at all. The high percentage of short term rentals is more concerning, but I am guessing this is par for the course in many beachside communities.

Excellent point about the internet access, indeed a solid connection would be vital for my work at home situation. I had just assumed that Brighthouse cable internet would be fine and widely available, but based on what you say I will have to carefully look into this.

I actually drove through Ormond by the Sea, and it seemed very nice. A bit more "suburban-ish" rather than "small town", if that makes any sense.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
I will be there the 2nd week in June, so I appreciate the comments. Checking the East Coast for a potential move in a year or so.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
While not on the Ocean the town of Bunnell 5 minutes down the road from Flagler might be worth a look for cheaper house prices.=
Bunnell Real Estate - Bunnell FL Homes For Sale | Zillow

Old 05-16-2016, 07:32 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEmm View Post
I actually drove through Ormond by the Sea, and it seemed very nice. A bit more "suburban-ish" rather than "small town", if that makes any sense.
Yup, that is a good observation. There are tons of neighborhoods though. Our neighborhood consist of 3 streets and anytime you see someone in the neighborhood we wave. If on foot, we will often stop and chat. The neighborhood also maintains one of wood structures that go over the barrier dune to the beach, so we will often see neighbors on the beach.

If you frequent a place, let's say you go to Laggerheads on Monday nights to hear Ed play and sing, they will get to know you. So there are some aspects of community that exist in Ormond by the Sea.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I will be there the 2nd week in June, so I appreciate the comments. Checking the East Coast for a potential move in a year or so.
That's probably about the same time frame I'm thinking about, but I may try a one or two month rental this winter to make sure it's the right place for me. I hope you will check in after your visit and tell us how you liked it!

Old 05-18-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While not on the Ocean the town of Bunnell 5 minutes down the road from Flagler might be worth a look for cheaper house prices.=
Bunnell Real Estate - Bunnell FL Homes For Sale | Zillow

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks like Bunnell would be a good value for many people, but it's not what I am after. If I'm going to move from New England, where I've spent my whole life (and which I think is great other than the winters), I'm going for the beach! I'm not rich, but middle class...and the real estate prices seem to be within my means in Flagler Beach.

I really love the thought of being able to walk to a restaurant/bar after work with the clear unobstructed ocean views and sounds accompanying me along the way. Over the last few days I have been searching google streetview for any similar place along the east coast and can't really find the same vibe anywhere.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:32 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
I live pretty close, I'm also a remote employee. If i adored small towns this would be paradise for me. Since I prefer a larger town it's just excellent.

My downside list is short. I spend too much time driving to Orlando and JAX for commercial offerings like Costco, Bestbuy, etc. The short list of retailers here mean I need to stop in walmart far more often than i would like to, and this one walmart is usually very busy. sounds terrible, eh??

At 35 and new here it's been complicated to find new friends my age. Most people here are retired. in my direct neighborhood I'm the second youngest person by about 30 years, only edged out by my wife who is a little younger than me.

That's really all the downsides I can come up with. When I moved here from coastal NC my car insurance went up about $20 a month. My renter's insurance went from $450 a year to $180 a year. I'm also a lot closer to the water here, so I don't understand how that works. My utilities are in line with what i was paying in NC and AZ.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,285 times
Actually, I love the bikers!..when they are here. I think they add to the character of this sleepy little piece of paradise and gives the beach a bit of excitement. The bikers are seasonal visitors and what true biker would not want to hang out at Flagler Beach!

Parking is available on the side of the road and signs indicate where you cannot park. It is not uncommon to see cars with tickets waving in the wind when they have simply thrown parking laws to the wind and choose to pay the ticket There is also parking on the side streets. With only 2 blocks from beach to intercostal bridge, there is not much walking required. Come and enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida