Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 12:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEmm View Post
Thanks again everyone for the input and advice. I've gone ahead and rented an oceanfront apartment in Flagler Beach for the month of January in order to get a better feel for the town and decide whether it's the best choice for me long term. For the first time ever, I can't wait for the winter!
My wife and I were just there last week. We both loved the small town atmosphere, but the distance to things we like or even may need requires more driving than I want. The beach access is very good, but it has a quick drop off into deeper water unlike Daytona etc. I would not worry about Daytona impacting it as it is significantly far enough away that no spill over is ever likely to occur. I liked it, but a bit too isolated for me. Reminded me of the SoCal beach city I grew up in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 02:34 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
If you don't need to make your money in the local economy, then it just might work for you. We're liberals, so Volusia county wasn't for us, whereas we fit right in here in St Pete. So if you're conservative, pro gun, like NASCAR, all that, you'll probably like it fine. Beautiful area.

While the water, nature, beach and all are nice, at some point it comes down to your relationships w/ the people, so if that doesn't click, I don't care how nice it may be, it won't work.

Last edited by smarino; 07-17-2016 at 02:49 PM..

Old 07-17-2016, 08:54 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Flagler Beach is in Flagler County, not Volusia. There are a lot of Trump signs around but most folks beachside are more concerned about beach driving than democratic or republican politics.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Flagler Beach is in Flagler County, not Volusia. There are a lot of Trump signs around but most folks beachside are more concerned about beach driving than democratic or republican politics.
We found them to be friendly and politics never came up. Usually if politics is an issue then go where others feel the same in a vocal way. If it isn't quiet areas are better. I am neither conservative nor liberal, but I would not live in St Pete.To crowded.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:02 PM

17 posts, read 39,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
My wife and I were just there last week. We both loved the small town atmosphere, but the distance to things we like or even may need requires more driving than I want. The beach access is very good, but it has a quick drop off into deeper water unlike Daytona etc. I would not worry about Daytona impacting it as it is significantly far enough away that no spill over is ever likely to occur. I liked it, but a bit too isolated for me. Reminded me of the SoCal beach city I grew up in.

Thanks for the input. If you don't mind sharing, what are the types of things that you felt were unavailable without a long drive?

Old 07-20-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
If you don't need to make your money in the local economy, then it just might work for you. We're liberals, so Volusia county wasn't for us, whereas we fit right in here in St Pete. So if you're conservative, pro gun, like NASCAR, all that, you'll probably like it fine. Beautiful area.

While the water, nature, beach and all are nice, at some point it comes down to your relationships w/ the people, so if that doesn't click, I don't care how nice it may be, it won't work.
When it comes to politics, I'm on the liberal side myself, so I found this interesting. Did you find that people were really outspoken about conservative political beliefs in Flagler Beach? Looking at the city/county election results it seems like a moderate to conservative leaning area. I'm not expecting (or even wanting) San Francisco/Manhattan, but it didn't seem like it was super right wing.

Some of my closest family and friends have different views from me, and I don't generally start discussions about politics or religion with people that I don't know well...hopefully this shouldn't be an issue, but I'm curious as to your experience.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Good luck and avoid getting hit by cars as you cross A1A.
Thanks Fredesch, I will keep both eyes open on that excruciating trek! Thanks for all the info you provided, I hope I like it as much as I think I will.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEmm View Post
Thanks for the input. If you don't mind sharing, what are the types of things that you felt were unavailable without a long drive?
Restaurants, major shopping centers, not just malls, Entertainment of any major kind. There is some at the 95 Fwy, but beyond that it is isolated. Every day needs can be met and the downtown at the beach is nice and laid back. They had a small farmers market one day we were there. It is a little like a step back in time. My wife and I really liked it, but we are tired, even now where we are, at of driving long distances to go to what we would like to do more than once in a while. If you eat at home a lot, want the occasional trip to a local cafe, spend a lot of time at the beach, kind if a minimalist life, then it would be very nice.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:16 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Restaurants, major shopping centers, not just malls, Entertainment of any major kind. There is some at the 95 Fwy, but beyond that it is isolated. Every day needs can be met and the downtown at the beach is nice and laid back. They had a small farmers market one day we were there. It is a little like a step back in time. My wife and I really liked it, but we are tired, even now where we are, at of driving long distances to go to what we would like to do more than once in a while. If you eat at home a lot, want the occasional trip to a local cafe, spend a lot of time at the beach, kind if a minimalist life, then it would be very nice.
Palm Coast has that kind of stuff and isn't that far away.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Palm Coast has that kind of stuff and isn't that far away.
Yes, you can drive there, but again it takes time and just a couple of choices as to how to get to it. We felt it wasn't worth the trouble and as much as we liked Flaggler, it was just not what we wanted. Each person needs to evaluate what is important to them as each of us have different likes, dislikes, goals, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida