Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:24 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I think so. But rates are probably higher on a stick home vs. CBS depending on the area.

Great point, depends on the area, closer to the water is higher or closer to the water hydrant is less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 04:23 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
thanks for posting this thread. really informative. could anyone ellaborate on the termite damage and damp retention of cbs. i will be building in the next year or so and want to use wood frame and cbs for different rooms. i have had rising damp on a house before but that was easy to fix. i haven't owned in florida and wanted to find out specifically about damp brought about by humidity in the air.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
thanks for posting this thread. really informative. could anyone ellaborate on the termite damage and damp retention of cbs. i will be building in the next year or so and want to use wood frame and cbs for different rooms. i have had rising damp on a house before but that was easy to fix. i haven't owned in florida and wanted to find out specifically about damp brought about by humidity in the air.
The termites will find any wood used, regardless of whether it sits on sticks or blocks. If you don't want termites you need to build your roof out of concrete or steel. The humidity in the air is enough to keep the termites alive.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:38 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The termites will find any wood used, regardless of whether it sits on sticks or blocks. If you don't want termites you need to build your roof out of concrete or steel. The humidity in the air is enough to keep the termites alive.
i wanted more info on termites attacking concrete which they apparently do. i wanted to also find out the effects of humidity on concrete structures because concrete has a tendency to hold moisture/damp. i have had to deal with rising damp before but not damp from humidity.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:33 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filo74 View Post
I put an offer for a wood frame home built in 1987..it is located in the acreage area of west palm beach....way inland in the western part of palm beach county. Very far from the ocean

My father keeps telling me to NOT buy a wood frame house because it will not do well in a hurricane. I would like to buy a concrete structure, but there are none at the price I am looking for (low 200's)....at least in the specific area I am looking for. Out of the 10 houses I see for that price, only 1 or 2 are concrete.

I don't know what to do..I am confused. This house looks perfect..the roof looks perfect...everything looks very good. Why is it that miami-dade building code prohibits new wood frame construction and palm beach still allows it ?? They are both in hurricane prone areas. I do not understand it and it just leads me to believe that wood frame homes do well in Hurricanes....the building officials in Palm Beach know something I do not know. Are concrete homes over hyped and over rated ? What is your opinion ?
Why limit yourself to either stick frame or concrete? Have you ever considered foam insulated steel or structural insulated panels? Seems like nobody ever thinks about these new types of homes.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:04 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
i wanted more info on termites attacking concrete which they apparently do. i wanted to also find out the effects of humidity on concrete structures because concrete has a tendency to hold moisture/damp. i have had to deal with rising damp before but not damp from humidity.
Termites don't attack the concrete blocks, they attack everything else in the house that is wood. Homes in South Florida are concrete homes, yes, but the interior wall studs are wood, the roofs are usually wood, etc. and so that is what they eat not concrete.

Humidity and concrete structures are fine, unless you have a crack someplace, which lets the humidity into the house, which then allows mold to grow. Up north people have concrete basements and some can feel damp and cold, our homes in South Florida don't feel damp. The concrete homes actually help in the long hot months to keep the house cooler, also tile in the house, helps to keep things cooler.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:18 AM

186 posts, read 794,566 times
When I bought my stick-built, Hardy-Plank clad house in Wellington, there were live termites in a deck post only about an inch from an outside wall of the house. I insisted on the seller tenting the house, which took care of the problem, and there was no further evidence of termites. However, both the termite inspector and a subsequent contractor reminded me that there is no method of preventing termites.....they can return after treatment. I've never had problems since in the 7 years I've owned my house, but I know I could, at any minute. Just like hurricanes, there's no point in worrying about the possibility....if you get termites, treat the problem immediately, and meanwhile check your home regularly. As far as insurance goes for stick-built homes, my insurance is just under $2700 p.a. There are a number of factors involved in insurance costs, but having storm shutters helped reduce my costs by several hundred dollars. Preference for CBS or stick-built is a matter of personal choice.....beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that....depends on what your criteria is and what you wish in terms of appearance as well. Overall, it's difficult to compare insurance costs across the board in the state of Florida. But if you buy, be sure to do a lot of research in finding a good and affordable carrier. Good luck to the OP in the future if you decide to buy in the Acreage, or anywhere!

Old 02-13-2010, 06:35 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbayle View Post
I disagree-my husband is a contractor and built us a gorgeous two story wood frame house two yrs. ago for our own. He prefers wood frame. Look at all the little wood shacks still standing!
Gosh, I am so confused. I found a house I really, really liked a few months ago but it was wood frame and many people told me "don't buy a wood frame home in Florida!"

This home was built in 1980, so why does it look so good after 30 years if they all rot and are eaten by termites?

Anyway, I've seen a lot of homes that cost less in other cities, or new CBS homes that have much more square footage, but I really enjoy living near the coast and I like small, quaint houses. My heart says to make an offer, but my brain is screaming "Don't be a fool!" (It's still very overpriced, which is another reason it hasn't sold.) I guess my main concern, other than termites, would be reselling it if that becomes necessary in the future.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
I live two miles from the coast, in a wood frame house built in 1945. Actually, most of the houses in my neighborhood are wood frame and olllld.

I figure, the house has been standing for all this time, it can't be built all that poorly. If it gets flattened, it's going to be during a storm that was major enough for me to evacuate, so no big deal. That's why I have insurance. (BTW, I pay under 2k for insurance, though I wonder if it will go up this year...)

Old 02-13-2010, 09:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I live two miles from the coast, in a wood frame house built in 1945. Actually, most of the houses in my neighborhood are wood frame and olllld.

I figure, the house has been standing for all this time, it can't be built all that poorly. If it gets flattened, it's going to be during a storm that was major enough for me to evacuate, so no big deal. That's why I have insurance. (BTW, I pay under 2k for insurance, though I wonder if it will go up this year...)
I was told that there's a big difference between the wood used in the 1940s and the 1980s. In other words, your home is probably a lot more solid. I guess one thing that's important to know is what kind of wood was used since some wood is termite resistant. In your case, it sounds as if you made a good choice. I love houses from the 1940s.

The real estate agent said the annual insurance premiums were only about $1,000 but I never confirmed this, although the home is very small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida