Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 PM

206 posts, read 1,135,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
What about as far as projectiles go. I would think during a hurricane, flying debris would be more likley to penetrate through the wood as opposed to concrete block, no?
Yes, you are correct. But with a week's notice you have PLENTY of time to collect those projectiles and bring them inside. There should be NO EXCUSE for anyone to have anything loose blowing around. Trees are a different matter. Maybe that is one of the reasons that when then build houses in Florida... they plow down all the trees.... then replant those nice Palms... charge you a lot of money for something that might have been growing there naturally BEFORE the house was built

We now have the hurrcane shutters for the windows. But those are very expensive and most homes use plywood. If you buy the good stuff and button it down with enough screws then it's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 02:48 PM

561 posts, read 1,923,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfarmlady View Post
Yes, you are correct. But with a week's notice you have PLENTY of time to collect those projectiles and bring them inside. There should be NO EXCUSE for anyone to have anything loose blowing around. Trees are a different matter. Maybe that is one of the reasons that when then build houses in Florida... they plow down all the trees.... then replant those nice Palms... charge you a lot of money for something that might have been growing there naturally BEFORE the house was built

We now have the hurrcane shutters for the windows. But those are very expensive and most homes use plywood. If you buy the good stuff and button it down with enough screws then it's fine.
I don't worry about projectiles from my property. Its other people that I worry about. Also When hurricane charley came through I remember seeing traffic signs and posts lying all over the place.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:01 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Just a thought, will you be able to insure it? In the villages, Ocala area, they still are
building them new. I really do not have the answer for you. Life is a gamble no matter
what. Even the concrete homes have a roof which may also blow off. Look at the tornados, they take it all in the path of destruction. Think it over, check with the
insurance, then decide.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:52 PM

186 posts, read 794,654 times
My single-storey house in Wellington, western Palm Beach County, is frame construction with cementboard siding and it's survived 3 hurricanes, completely intact. In my opinion, and that of many knowledgeable contractors, frame withstands hurricanes well due to the fact the structure is more yielding and will "bend" to high winds. A more steeply pitched roof will also withstand more than a flatter roof. Termites do not limit their diet to frame, and as many owners of CBS/stucco homes will admit, the little beggars will tunnel under and around foundations to gain entry. I've never had termites but could, as can any home in Florida, and just about anywhere else. I think people often get carried away with the idea of invasive insects in Florida and fear the entire state is a wasteland heaving with mutant bugs . I didn't have pest control service when I lived in NY, and I don't have it here. I maintain my property myself, interior & exterior, on a regular basis and find it no more demanding than any home I've owned in other states.

Don't panic, and don't buy into misguided opinions. Your best advisor will be a competent and unbiased home inspector. Good luck in your decision.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:03 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
the bottom line, as they say-is You- If you like what you see, can have in insured, why rent? Advice is cheap, some good, some not! Like the stocks, and home market-
if you believe, and like what you have-so what! I have in 2004 been with them all-its coming-its coming! weird, people went to Orlando-then it did come? Me, mighty afraid-it stayed away? follow what your heart tells you, with the insurance factor!

Old 04-11-2008, 04:41 AM

5 posts, read 17,742 times
Default Stick with CBS

my house has been through three hurricanes here in the acerage ive stood outside through all of them and must say that it feels very safe. my fathers house is wood frame and did fine as well but the hurricanes that had hit here were not an andrew. In the event of a cat 5 your wood frame home will be destroyed. Completely and without question dont let anyone fool you into thinking that it might make it through because it will be a pile of debri possibly with you in it. Consider the fact the the acerage is full of slash pines. And they snap like twigs during storms. There has not been a storm like andrew in this area yet. But why take the chance. If you can not afford a cbs in this area this area may not be for you. Land cost money and thinking that prices will contiue to fall to suit your needs is wishful thinking most homes are already priced into the new market and you will not touch most cbs starting 300,000 and up. Time to get realistic. Plus wood frame homes have higher insurance rates much higher some rates as high as 4000 to 5000 a year my home is 2700 for cbs you will pay 150 to 200 more a month to keep a wood frame home add another 50 dollars a month in electric during the summer and 75 dollars in heating during the winters because the are not well insulated the cold goes right threw the wood. Price those figures in when you are buying and you probably could spring for the cbs anyway. And we have plenty of termites in the acerage and if with the super duper termite warranty its not the same when you live in the forest "the acerage" and community propertys "hoas" out here the bugs are a war and ive watched my dead slash pines turn into styro foam in less than a year its amazing.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:46 PM

7 posts, read 68,823 times
Default Concrete Roofs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Finally, some sense. People would be horrified to know that their "concrete block" home is really a wood truss roof sitting on concrete walls. There are a lot of misconceptions, like a flat roof being worse than a sloped one. Any wood roof has only 1/4-1/3 inch of roofing seperating it from the elements. Add insulation and cover with drywall, and a dime sized leak can cause catastrophic damage to the interior. Only a POURED concrete roof can withstand hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. I will not even use drywall in a home or insulation because its a mess. I like modern, flat roofs and no wood at all. That was common for many small commercial buildings and some homes up till the 70's. None of the homes or buildings with poured concrete roofs failed in hurricane Andrew. The "concrete" homes with wood roofs all seemed to sustain some damage. I even saw homes near Robert Morgan vocational school leveled when the roof and tie beam was lifted off and the whole house collapsed. You really need to know how your home was built. I built my own because the existing ones looked like trash to me.
You say none of the concrete roofs failed during Andrew. Well you weren't at Homestead Air Force Base to see the damage then. I was there and saw the damage. There were poured, reinforced 4-5" thick roofs that were lifted right up and had sections that were hanging down the sides of huge maintenace buildings. The only thing holding them together was the reinforcing wire.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyjim View Post
You say none of the concrete roofs failed during Andrew. Well you weren't at Homestead Air Force Base to see the damage then. I was there and saw the damage. There were poured, reinforced 4-5" thick roofs that were lifted right up and had sections that were hanging down the sides of huge maintenace buildings. The only thing holding them together was the reinforcing wire.

Of course I did go throuth the neighboring Leisure city and saw all the concrete roofs survived. As I remember most of the air force base was wood-roofed housing and steel buildings. The prefab buildings like the Levitz furniture store and some warehouses were blown apart, but I could not find a single home with a concrete roof that failed.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:47 PM

39 posts, read 371,128 times
well folks...I didn't buy that house in the acreage. Paying of my debt first and will start looking again come November.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:51 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Everyone has their preference Wood frame is an issue with hurricanes but more of an issue with termites in FL. The later is far more common. I find I like the feel of homes with full poured walls, even on the second floor if a multi level. Does that mean you will ahve a problem if you buy a wood frame.. no... but who knows. anything can happen. If Florida sinks it won;t matter what its built of :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida