Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:47 AM

628 posts, read 1,315,546 times

Advertisements

The way the house is constructed is far more important than the materials. I built my frame house about 500ft from the ocean and have stayed in it through Francis, Jeanne, Wilma etc. The eye of Francis and Jeanne passed over less than 25 miles from my house with 120mph winds with Jeanne. No damage at all except for a few lost ridge shingles. Important construction points: Hip roof, every rafter strapped to the top plate, every wall stud strapped to top AND bottom plate. Double up wall studs every third stud even better. 5/8" roof sheathing or better nailed every 6 inches. Peel and stick roof covering under roof shingles-not felt!, 5/8" wall sheathing with 5/8" cedar or similar finish boards on outside walls. The chance that your wood house is built like this is slim; however as some one stated-its easier to retro-fit a wood house. Get a good inspection before you buy so you know what your getting into with a wood house.
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 08:49 AM

40 posts, read 294,916 times
Before purchasing a house you may want to check with insurance companies in the area to determine the difference in rates (if any) between a stick built vs. concrete block construction.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,856,133 times
The biggest issue with the wood frame tends to be termites in Florida. It is true the home won't stand up to a hurricane, but there aren't that many of those to deal with.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 AM

628 posts, read 1,315,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
The biggest issue with the wood frame tends to be termites in Florida. It is true the home won't stand up to a hurricane, but there aren't that many of those to deal with.
Not true- A properly constructed wood home will stand up to a hurricane. The roof is the weak point as well as the garage door. I had newer CBS homes around me get destroyed during Francis and Jeanne. Either the roof sheathing came off and water entered the home or the garage door blew in and the roof lifted. Not a single home I could see on the island had the walls fail-neither wood or CBS. Granted an all CBS home will be stronger but unless you are looking at 150 mph+ winds, a properly constructed wood home will survive a storm.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:12 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
The one fact that is undisputable is that while wood frame strength depends on quality, size matters even more! The smaller the wood house the better is usually does in a hurricane. Termites are found in both wood frame and CBS. In Florida they both are affected equally. As for me I never have to worry about termites eating the house, as no structural wood is present. A suprise came last month when I found termites eating my bookcases! They even bored a hole in some of my antique records. Now that is hard to repair!

Old 02-07-2008, 12:26 PM

367 posts, read 1,687,163 times
goodness me - they are enterprizing little Bs aren't they

Old 02-07-2008, 12:39 PM

206 posts, read 1,134,745 times
I live in Palm Bay about 25 miles inland from the ocean.... in a FRAME HOUSE.'
We survived all the hurricanes a few years ago with very little damage as compared to some of the other homes in the area, both wood and CB. As others have said, the CB homes are just as vulnerable as wood. Roofs ripped off, garage doors blew in... even CB homes under construction had walls knocked over in the winds... no roof to hold it together !!!

We lay in our bed all night during those storms, listening to the shingles flapping up and down on the roof. Our valuables packed away in air tight tubs, our van parked sideways in front of the garage door, 2 X 4's bracing the inside of the garage door, plywood on our windows. When the light of day broke... we were fine. A couple of shingles blew off the roof letting water into the office and master bath.

Since that time we have replaced all the windows with double paned ones. At the time of the storms some were done and some not... and you could HEAR the difference walking from one room to the other. We now have a metal roof with screws every 18 inches... we put them in ourselves.

One thing that made us stronger than most other homes.... our wood frame house with the cheap wood siding put on by the builder ... is all covered in Hardy Plank Siding made of CEMENT. It's stronger, quieter and safer than most FRAME BUILT homes in our area.

STILL... because of all the negativity and criticism such as what is here and what is in the media... we are having a hard time selling this house. On the market 7 months.... no body is looking.

FYI... if you buy a two story CB home in Florida ... the second story is..... FRAME CONSTRUCTION and more likely to blow away with your roof .

ALSO, during the hurricanes Jeanne, Francis, Charli etc.. the BLOCK house a few doors down had a portion of it's roof shingles blown off. The woman that lived there was divorced but the house remained in her husband's name. She lived there with the kids. She walked out the door the day before the storm hit... and never looked back. Nothing was protected. For MONTHS we wondered about the house. He finally got the insurance and repaired the roof... but the damage inside was already done. Piles of toys, bedding, clothing, furniture were left on the front lawn for the trash collection. The ENTIRE HOUSE became MOLDY... the ceiling fell in ... the refrigerator with rotting food was left as well. FOR MONTHS we watched as he cleaned it up in his spare time after working a full day at his pest control job. It was finally sold for about 1/8 of what it should of had it been protected. The inside was gutted and replaced and it's now rented out.

Last edited by bcfarmlady; 02-07-2008 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 02-07-2008, 02:04 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Don't Do It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not stress enough, never buy a wood frame home in Florida or any coastal region that is hurricane prone. In West Palm Beach, it doesn't matter how far in land you are, you are still not far enough in land for a hurricane to die down enough for you to not worry.

If I were you, go for something else than a house, like a condo or townhouse that is CBS (Concrete Block Stone) which might be in your budget.

If you do buy a wood frame home, when a hurricane comes, please do not stay in your house, take what ever is valuable to you, with you when you leave.

I went through Hurricane Andrew (Cat 5, the eye of the storm came over my parents house while we were in it.) The home is CBS and survived the storm and the tornadoes during the storm. The roof stayed on, walls were not damaged, we did have damage to the french doors which let in the rain and wind but for the most part the house did excellent compared to a wood frame home.
While I tend to agree...90% of homes in the Jacksonville area are wood frame. There are only 2 builders here who built block homes, and they no longer build. While we aren't as hurricane prone as where the OP is going...it's not the end of the world.

However, you will pay more premium, but if you are inland, at least 20 miles in from water.....it will be minimal. If you are not buying for investment, and don't care all that much about resale dollar (you'll stand to increase less being inland anyway), and you are in love with the home, it has a clean WDO, and there is a full repair bond being transferred to you on the home..then go for it. Whether your house is half destroyed or all destroyed in a hurricane isn't going to make you feel better or worse, and your insurance company will still have to repair the damage.

IMO, if you can find a block home...buy it. If you can not...make sure you cover all your bases, and keep up on your termite service. A Cat 3-5 storm will do major damage no matter what you live in, but you possibly stand some repreive being inland. I live in a wood frame home in Jax, and lived in both wood and block in Pinellas County. I was fine in both. BTW: I lived in a wood home during all the 2004 storms, less than 2 miles from the gulf. The only damage I had was my lanai, and 2 big oak trees that fell in my front yard.

Block is better, but if you can afford the insurance, and keep up on your termite...you are fine in wood too...just not the preference.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:05 PM

561 posts, read 1,922,715 times
What about as far as projectiles go. I would think during a hurricane, flying debris would be more likley to penetrate through the wood as opposed to concrete block, no?

Old 02-07-2008, 02:10 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
What about as far as projectiles go. I would think during a hurricane, flying debris would be more likley to penetrate through the wood as opposed to concrete block, no?
You are probably right. That is a concern...however all homes have windows...so it's kind of a catch 22. Storm shutters are sheet metal, and you've seen what they can look like after a storm. Also, old school plywood over the windows worked for years.

I think truly it's the severity of the storm....which will get you either way. Being inland in WPB is not as bad as being in Miami.

BTW: Key West is all wood/stilt homes...so, who knows really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida