Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:07 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
No that's why they left. They wanted to keep there business.

Sorry this is incorrect.

2 of them were operating in huge profits anyway and were in the same location for almost 100 years so it is not the reason.

They left to kill the highly paid union jobs were people were overpaid in salaries, retirements and health care cost. And of course to get more profits having foreigners make the items and suckers like us all buy the item anyway and hand Mexico even more of our money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:48 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Sorry this is incorrect.

2 of them were operating in huge profits anyway and were in the same location for almost 100 years so it is not the reason.

They left to kill the highly paid union jobs were people were overpaid in salaries, retirements and health care cost. And of course to get more profits having foreigners make the items and suckers like us all buy the item anyway and hand Mexico even more of our money.

That is the problem unions caused. They out priced themselves.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
That is the problem unions caused. They out priced themselves.
Correct. Union workers just used to compete with other union workers several decades ago. Now there is globalization and people in China, India, and even in RTW states in the south who are willing to compete on price.

That being said, the outsourcing to China can only continue for so long before it makes sense to start "in-sourcing" again

American companies 'insourcing' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Old 01-15-2014, 09:43 AM

Yes, indeed. Companies need to make a profit to stay in business. If they are paying their profits out to union demands they are going to close down or move out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Correct. Union workers just used to compete with other union workers several decades ago. Now there is globalization and people in China, India, and even in RTW states in the south who are willing to compete on price.

That being said, the outsourcing to China can only continue for so long before it makes sense to start "in-sourcing" again

American companies 'insourcing' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Yes, indeed. Companies need to make a profit to stay in business. If they are paying their profits out to union demands they are going to close down or move out.

And that they have. Unions shops in my home town are closed up, non union shops are still hanging in there. You cannot survive paying a laborer 30.00 on an assembly line, give free health care, 65.00 a year for every year you worked free retirement and survive. This is what unions have done to nearly destroy Americans jobs. It is called greed.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
And that they have. Unions shops in my home town are closed up, non union shops are still hanging in there. You cannot survive paying a laborer 30.00 on an assembly line, give free health care, 65.00 a year for every year you worked free retirement and survive. This is what unions have done to nearly destroy Americans jobs. It is called greed.
Yes, Sunny, you're right. I've been saying that for years and people say I am wrong. Automakers, steel manufacturers, appliance manufacturers, textile industry, all gone thanks to the never ending demands of unions. They all got rich and the membership was left holding the bag. An empty bag at that.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:48 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Yes, Sunny, you're right. I've been saying that for years and people say I am wrong. Automakers, steel manufacturers, appliance manufacturers, textile industry, all gone thanks to the never ending demands of unions. They all got rich and the membership was left holding the bag. An empty bag at that.
Don't forget Twinkies! Their union members required they drive different trucks for different products!

Shame On The Gluttonous Bakery Union Members, Blasted Twinkie Killers - Forbes

New Twinkie Maker Shuns Union Labor - WSJ.com

Old 01-15-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:

My Dad worked in a union shop for more then 40 years. Worked his way to the top. And eventually one of the top supervisors in the entire factory of 1000 workers. He worked many years as a union member and then on salary. When on salary he had to deal with unions protecting employees who were useless, would not work, showed up late, made mistake after mistake and the unions fought for those people.

He said many times this plant will not last much longer with the unions coming in nationally and putting their 0.02 in. He was correct. Close down, 1000s out of a job all because the lousy national unions came in and ruined it for the workers. Even got involved in the contract talks demanding everything under the sun. Company finally had it.

So I know first hand how unions killed America and the manufacturing jobs we used to have.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:58 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,597,702 times
I can say this there is little to no stock options here and for many that's a big deal. My one Engineer friend who worked for Motorola in Plantation and was laid off during their big 2008 layoff, moved to the SF Bay Area got a serious pay increase, relo bonus and stock options worth thousands of dollars. Salaries here are subpar compared to other locals for some professions, my neighbor who is an Electrical Engineer makes $75K/year and took a $10K/year pay cut when he lost his job 2 years ago, he now makes less than he made 6 years ago and drives 100 miles/day round trip to Sunrise from Welly World, but has no choice with kids in school and a house. He has a ton of experience, education from a excellent respected school in the Northeast and is in is mid 40's, but companies do not want to pay here nor is there any competition. He could have went out to the SF Bay area and got $150K+ no problem, but would not leave.

Also recently met a Software Engineer who complained about salaries here, he is making $80K, and can easily make $200K in Austin or the SF Bay Area even more. He is only 23 and basically fresh out of college but these types can earn a lot outside of the state. South Florida rents and COL is increasing and it's starting to be wall to wall people who basically come here to vacation/retire and ride on the coat tails of their wealthy parents or trust funds. I am amazed at all the people I meet in my circles who are 20 somethings, who do not work, have no college education and seem to not be worried about payin bills and putting a roof over their head.

No joke companies like Google pay their employees well and will even counter offer absurd rates for the right talent.

Google Offers Staff Engineer $3.5 Million To Turn Down Facebook Offer | TechCrunch

A Google Programmer 'Blew Off' A $500,000 Salary At A Startup

Old 01-15-2014, 09:34 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I can say this there is little to no stock options here and for many that's a big deal. My one Engineer friend who worked for Motorola in Plantation and was laid off during their big 2008 layoff, moved to the SF Bay Area got a serious pay increase, relo bonus and stock options worth thousands of dollars. Salaries here are subpar compared to other locals for some professions, my neighbor who is an Electrical Engineer makes $75K/year and took a $10K/year pay cut when he lost his job 2 years ago, he now makes less than he made 6 years ago and drives 100 miles/day round trip to Sunrise from Welly World, but has no choice with kids in school and a house. He has a ton of experience, education from a excellent respected school in the Northeast and is in is mid 40's, but companies do not want to pay here nor is there any competition. He could have went out to the SF Bay area and got $150K+ no problem, but would not leave.

Also recently met a Software Engineer who complained about salaries here, he is making $80K, and can easily make $200K in Austin or the SF Bay Area even more. He is only 23 and basically fresh out of college but these types can earn a lot outside of the state. South Florida rents and COL is increasing and it's starting to be wall to wall people who basically come here to vacation/retire and ride on the coat tails of their wealthy parents or trust funds. I am amazed at all the people I meet in my circles who are 20 somethings, who do not work, have no college education and seem to not be worried about payin bills and putting a roof over their head.

No joke companies like Google pay their employees well and will even counter offer absurd rates for the right talent.

Google Offers Staff Engineer $3.5 Million To Turn Down Facebook Offer | TechCrunch

A Google Programmer 'Blew Off' A $500,000 Salary At A Startup
Ive been wondering where you have been..lol

Well we moved back to New Jersey it was time for to get home for a lot of different reasons Family was the 1st priority and then of course hubby's career Hope your doing well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida