Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:13 AM

407 posts, read 389,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There are people out there that could take pot or leave it. If they never smoked again they wouldn't care. But they are pretty rare. It's usually a you do it or you don't thing, especially when you get older. Dollars to donuts the people that are pushing for legalization are not the occasional users.

True, there is a big "less government" bandwagon, but I've got news for people. That's dandy up to a point. I have kids. At some point things become a slippery slope. No, I don't believe in prohibiting alcohol. But I draw the line at pot. It doesn't have half the medicinal qualities that the potheads claim. Mostly it is going to be used to get high and get stupid and we got enough things to do that with as it is.

You live as long as me, you have lots of anecdotal evidence.

The cigarette quitter was probably doing the diatribe to convince himself more than anything. Cigarettes are a fine example of a "not physical" addiction. By the way, I quit smoking almost 17 months ago. It's not easy.
There is so much questionable information in your posts I don't know where to start. Your anecdotal evidence conflicts with my anecdotal evidence. Alcohol doesn't have half the medicinal qualities of cannabis, if it has any medicinal qualities at all. It is an addictive and toxic substance and causes more deaths than any other drug. One of my best friends in college died from alcohol poisoning, and I have heard of many others. You may want to inform yourself and change where you draw the line as far as acceptable behavior for your kids. I recommend no drug use, including alcohol. I come from a family of alcoholics and have had horrific experiences related to alcohol use. And to say cigarettes are not physically addictive is absolutely wrong. It seems like you are looking for a way to backwards rationalize that the status quo of drug regulation is OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
Research by a group of scientists studying the effects of heavy marijuana use suggests that withdrawal from the use of marijuana is similar to what is experienced by people when they quit smoking cigarettes.

Quitting marijuana as hard as quitting cigarettes

Long term marijuana use can have a negative effect on health and well being. Marijuana use promotes cancer, and it also increases the probability of experiencing certain psychiatric conditions such as anxiety, psychosis and depression. It is also linked to memory loss and cognitive deficits, as well as a sense of lethargy that can pervade all waking hours.

Withdrawal symptoms to marijuana can be somewhat characterized as the opposite to the intoxicating effects of the drug…instead of hunger, a loss of appetite, and instead of drowsiness, an inability to sleep.

Some additional symptoms of marijuana withdrawal can include headache, nausea, anxiety (common) paranoia and even irritability or aggression.

Marijuana withdrawal symptoms. Insomnia, anxiety, iritability, headache...

Old 03-31-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Research by a group of scientists studying the effects of heavy marijuana use suggests that withdrawal from the use of marijuana is similar to what is experienced by people when they quit smoking cigarettes.

Quitting marijuana as hard as quitting cigarettes

Long term marijuana use can have a negative effect on health and well being. Marijuana use promotes cancer, and it also increases the probability of experiencing certain psychiatric conditions such as anxiety, psychosis and depression. It is also linked to memory loss and cognitive deficits, as well as a sense of lethargy that can pervade all waking hours.

Withdrawal symptoms to marijuana can be somewhat characterized as the opposite to the intoxicating effects of the drug…instead of hunger, a loss of appetite, and instead of drowsiness, an inability to sleep.

Some additional symptoms of marijuana withdrawal can include headache, nausea, anxiety (common) paranoia and even irritability or aggression.

Marijuana withdrawal symptoms. Insomnia, anxiety, iritability, headache...
So how does this make it worse than alcohol?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
So how does this make it worse than alcohol?
It doesn't make it worse than alcohol. If you have a problem drinking and suddenly stop you can die. There is no doubt about that. Like some prescription medication, if you are physically addicted to alcohol you should have medical attention when quitting.

But alcohol is legal and there are many people out there that drink and do not have a problem. In moderation there is nothing wrong with alcohol. There are people that have a glass a wine once a week and definitely reap physical benefits from it. Alcoholic beverages have been around for a very long time.

As I've said, I don't think we need to add to our problems and I definitely see the legalization of marijuana as doing that. It becomes a slippery slope.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
It doesn't make it worse than alcohol. If you have a problem drinking and suddenly stop you can die. There is no doubt about that. Like some prescription medication, if you are physically addicted to alcohol you should have medical attention when quitting.

But alcohol is legal and there are many people out there that drink and do not have a problem. In moderation there is nothing wrong with alcohol. There are people that have a glass a wine once a week and definitely reap physical benefits from it. Alcoholic beverages have been around for a very long time.

As I've said, I don't think we need to add to our problems and I definitely see the legalization of marijuana as doing that. It becomes a slippery slope.

There are many people that drink and do not have a problem. And there are many who let it consume their lives, lose their jobs, end up on the street, and have serious health problems. There are also many that have used marijuana and do not have a problem. So why would you draw the line with alcohol use and not marijuana, considering the amount of damage it has caused? If your problem is the legality, you could have said you would allow your kids to use alcohol and not marijuana because of potential legal problems, not health problems. But the subject of the thread is the legalization of marijuana. We know it is not legal. There are many legal substances more harmful than marijuana. There is no way we could afford to incarcerate everyone that uses any harmful substance. The government is already running deficits at unsustainable levels. The illegality has given significant power to drug traffickers and resulted in increased violent crime, while costing the tax payers in enforcement and has caused the government to miss out on another source of tax revenue. It may add to some problems but reduce others. I think it would clearly be a net gain.

(
YouTube - A Brief List of People Who Have Smoked Marijuana)

Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 PM

As I've said before, folks that want to legalize marijuana are just potheads that want to get high. We have enough stupid people in this country. We don't need to legalize one more thing that makes them act like idiots. You'll never change my mind on this. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:43 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,312,592 times
Quote:
As I've said before, folks that want to legalize marijuana are just potheads that want to get high. We have enough stupid people in this country. We don't need to legalize one more thing that makes them act like idiots. You'll never change my mind on this. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
And people wanted the 21st Amendment repealed just so that they could get drunk. We were such a prosperous country in the 1920s, what with unrestrained capitalism and whatnot. We started to go downhill in 1929, so we figured, "Why not? Let's legalize alcohol!" All it did was create stupid, lazy people who just wanted to drink, never mind the people who drink in moderation and stuff. It's much better to paint broad generalizations.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
And people wanted the 21st Amendment repealed just so that they could get drunk. We were such a prosperous country in the 1920s, what with unrestrained capitalism and whatnot. We started to go downhill in 1929, so we figured, "Why not? Let's legalize alcohol!" All it did was create stupid, lazy people who just wanted to drink, never mind the people who drink in moderation and stuff. It's much better to paint broad generalizations.
Actually, they ratified the 21st amendment which repealed the 18th amendment in 1933.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,312,592 times
Quote:
Actually, they ratified the 21st amendment which repealed the 18th amendment in 1933.
I know. I didn't say they did in 1929.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I know. I didn't say they did in 1929.
You need to read what I wrote, again. The date is immaterial. Hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida