Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:10 AM

28 posts, read 787,619 times

Advertisements

After a little internet research, I'm convinced that's what is swarming around my front & back doors. I dread going outside because hundreds, if not thousands, of them are just waiting for me. I enter & exit through my garage door only.

I just moved here though & I had all of these lovely thoughts of enjoying the evenings on my back patio and grilling out with friends. What works to get rid of these things? I don't want to just slather myself in bug spray. I want to do something to kill down the population. Anyone have some tricks they'd be willing to share? By the way, these things don't bite, which is the only thing that makes me uncertain they're no-see-ums. I read those bite. But, then again, maybe they just haven't gotten me yet.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 08:28 AM

131 posts, read 1,034,320 times
If they were no-see-ums, you'd definitely be getting bitten.

How big are they? Are they small like a gnat, or the size of a small mosquito?

Do you live on the water? Is there a large lake nearby? Are they only around at night, or is it an all day thing?

I have tiki torches with citronella placed around my back patio, and that offers some help with the insects in the summer.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Deep Woods Off. Or, Cutters with DEET.

I got attacked by noseeums on a golf-course; forgot my Cutters and had big throbbing welts all up and down my legs and arms for nearly two weeks. I had a real bad reaction to these guys, it was awful!

Old 06-27-2007, 08:53 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskutie76 View Post
After a little internet research, I'm convinced that's what is swarming around my front & back doors. I dread going outside because hundreds, if not thousands, of them are just waiting for me. I enter & exit through my garage door only.

I just moved here though & I had all of these lovely thoughts of enjoying the evenings on my back patio and grilling out with friends. What works to get rid of these things? I don't want to just slather myself in bug spray. I want to do something to kill down the population. Anyone have some tricks they'd be willing to share? By the way, these things don't bite, which is the only thing that makes me uncertain they're no-see-ums. I read those bite. But, then again, maybe they just haven't gotten me yet.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
They may be attracted by your lights. You may want to get the bug lights. White lights by the way also attract termites to your house. You want your house to be invisible to them. I got some termites in a window sill once and they were no where else around the house. It turned out it was probably the light that I always kept on by the window all night that brought them there. Just something to try, it can't hurt.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 AM

They are about the size of a small mosquito & yes, they're around all day & night. I don't turn my outside lights on at all because I quickly figured out that attracts ALL bugs. Yuck! Oh, and I do have a large man-made pond in my backyard. I know that's why they probably are around in such great numbers.

I definitely have not had an experience like Pritchard though. No bites at all, which is why I thought they might be some kind of large gnat.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:39 AM

131 posts, read 1,034,320 times
It sounds like you have a large population of midges, which are similar to mosquitoes, yet do not bite. They are typically found around lakes and ponds that have a high algae content (often caused by pollution, runoff from fertilized lawns, golf courses, etc.) The midges lay their larvae in the pond, and the larvae feed on the abundance of algae.

If you are allowed, you may wish to investigate having some grass carp placed in the man-made pond. The grass carp will clean up the lake and control the algae, which will in turn get rid of the midges.

You can find information about stocking your pond with grass carp at the following link...

Use of Triploid Grass Carp in Florida

Old 06-27-2007, 10:04 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
If you have some clear baby oil, put it on a couple times a week. You can shower it off after only minutes because it is sort of sticky and yucky. The film will stay on your skin and keep a lot of bugs away, including mosquitoes.
I haven't been doing that this year and I need to start because we have a tremendous mosquito population up here this year and we are a high risk area for West Nile. (So. Dak)

Also, our older neighbors sit outside all the time. They both hang a vanilla air freshener around their necks and they never have bug bites. Vanilla is supposed to be wonderful for keeping bugs away.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:13 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
When we first moved into our home surrounded by woods, we had BUGS everywhere. I had to clean and repaint the pool door area because the dead bugs had collected so badly. Then we did some things that have completely solved the problem.

We replaced the light by the pool door with a yellow 'insect' light. It does not attract insects.

DH puts '7' - on the grass and plants - especially the plants around the pool area.

We got a Mosquito Sentinel 360. It attracts most of the bugs in addition to mosquitos. The Mosquito Sentinel 360 operates on low voltage power, freeing consumers from the time and expense of endlessly refilling cylinders. The trap silently attracts mosquitoes to infrared targets, various lights and contrasting color patterns. The mosquitoes are lured close to the trap, where they are quietly vacuumed into a capture net and exterminated.

We also do not burn lights outside at night, unless we are outside.

We do not have a pool screen and have no problem sitting out most of the time.

I did some touch up paint on the exterior of the house last weekend - and had NOTHING to do on the back. No bug stains at all. I was very pleased.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:15 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
If you have some clear baby oil, put it on a couple times a week. You can shower it off after only minutes because it is sort of sticky and yucky. The film will stay on your skin and keep a lot of bugs away, including mosquitoes.
I haven't been doing that this year and I need to start because we have a tremendous mosquito population up here this year and we are a high risk area for West Nile. (So. Dak)

Also, our older neighbors sit outside all the time. They both hang a vanilla air freshener around their necks and they never have bug bites. Vanilla is supposed to be wonderful for keeping bugs away.
Thank you, Jammie. What great ideas! I'll have to try them - especially the vanilla idea - wonderful scent as well.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:34 AM

Oh, these are all great tips. I will try anything. I don't know how likely it is that they'll agree to stock the pond though. It's rather large & I imagine would require quite a few carp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida