Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:33 PM

28 posts, read 787,775 times

Advertisements

I just placed one of those vanilla-scented plug-in air freshner fans outside on my patio. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will decrease the numbers & then my new citronella lanterns will run off the rest when I'm actually out there. I'll be sure to share a report on whether it works or not, in case anyone else is in my same shoes. Thanks again, Everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 01:41 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Default Natural, as nature intended.....

We used to have all sorts of bushes on and around my patio, as well as infront of the entrance door. It's a natural approach, so to speak.....citrus, tomatoe, mint, eucalyptus etc.
We NEVER had a problem with skeeters or anything, because of it.
Check with your local landscape people, or look around in garden stores for plants. They not only look awesome planted, but also add a much desired curb appeal to the house.
We are planting and/ or potting them, again, once we get down.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 50,715 times
Years ago, my husband and I rented a houseboat on the St. Johns River for our honeymoon and the people at the marina warned us about the blind mosquitoes. They don't bite but they swarm and they'll drive you crazy. We had never seen anything like it. I found this on the Internet:

Blind mosquitoes are mosquito-like insects in the family Chironomidae. They are often referred to as aquatic midges since their immatures (larvae and pupae) live in water. Blind mosquito is a layman's term which may refer to several species of these midges. Blind mosquitoes do not bite, suck blood, or carry disease. Their occurrence and survival in certain polluted waters often indicates pollution of aquatic habitats. They are important to man only when they emerge in such large numbers that they are a nuisance.

Maybe that's what you've got.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:15 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Default some other ways........

University of Florida has some good info. They have a terrific entomology dept.

I know that "Sociey Garlic" helps.... it is a bedding plant that produces a flower that smells like garlic.... hense the name. Good to plant around pools or spas. Flowering plants with sweet sents ( not all) ... draw those blood suckers.
"Bounce"... the fabic softner (towelet), works by rubbing your clothes as well as your pets. Avon skin so soft (mix with some deet for best results) works as well, on mosquito's.

Most studies conclude however, the "best" way, is prevention or to remove available habitat. Remember any devise that draws insects and kills them... keep the devise away from the area you want protected.
Reason: you may be the prize after baiting them in.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 50,558 times
Unhappy Vacation in Florida

I just returned home from a timeshare I have in Fort Myers Beach, Florida. I was bitten up each morning and evening by these bugs. I am covered, and yet my husband never got bit. I'm no thrilled and wonder why, they don't do anything about this problem. I couldnt sit outside or in the morning. I am still scratching these bites.........is there anything I can purchase or bring next year to spray around the screen room and inside the condo? I don't want to go there next year if I come home looking like this.

Thanks

Old 10-13-2007, 07:08 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,907,594 times
The best thing to use is Skin so Soft. It will keep them away.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:44 AM

672 posts, read 906,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
The best thing to use is Skin so Soft. It will keep them away.
I have been using that since I came here in June. NO BITES. I stopped putting it on for a while (thought the bugs were gone!) and immediately got bites all over again.

I really DOES work.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:38 AM

88 posts, read 413,943 times
Eat garlic, a clove or two a day should do it.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 50,526 times
I'm online looking for rentals for my daughter and came upon this site. I've lived here for more than 52 years, and I can tell you precisely the remedy you need: SkinSoSoft from Avon. Trust me, it works - it's the ONLY product that repels noseeums!!!!

Old 10-14-2007, 05:18 PM

672 posts, read 906,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opienawa View Post
I'm online looking for rentals for my daughter and came upon this site. I've lived here for more than 52 years, and I can tell you precisely the remedy you need: SkinSoSoft from Avon. Trust me, it works - it's the ONLY product that repels noseeums!!!!
You also need to use the ORIGINAL scent of SkinSoSoft, not the new flowery scents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida