Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 04:48 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,384,229 times

Advertisements

Try DULUTH -- they have some really nice cotton knit pants -- straight legs with some room in them, a nice flat elastic waistband and a side zip pocket. I think they are called their NOLA pants. I bought 4 pairs and my daughter told me they looked good. They are not cheap but are frequently on sale and they wash well, are fantastic for travel and are made very sturdy. Good colors too -- denim blue, black, charcoal grey -- and they come in a short, regular and tall length.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 05:00 PM

21,924 posts, read 13,012,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Land's End has some nice, thick, warm ones on clearance now...Cozy for winter...
Those sound like a pair I passed up at Goodwill last week. Super thick, cushy, warm, and cozy with some "rustic" sounding label (can't recall now), but in a color I wouldn't wear except in the house: green. But on second thought, I WANT to wear those in the house...

It's winter! Hope they're still there when I go back tomorrow.

Old 01-01-2023, 07:10 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,875,634 times
OP I am in my 60s and just recently discovered why leggings are everywhere. I still wear jeans most of the time but leggings are so so comfortable. And when I visit my daughter in NYC I can wear them with a long top and fit in very well. I find the Old Navy ones very comfortable and cheap. And they do camouflage the lumps and bumps by holding them in. A tunic length top is a must, as well.

Old 01-02-2023, 12:39 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,680,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I realize I can find them if I shop online and pay more. I was just lamenting that pants have become leggings. Seems crazy to me given that most women don't have the body for them!
Yes, I have wondered that too, having seen them predominantly everywhere for some time. It's frustrating if not finding what suits you. I prefer flare-leg or bootcut pants / jeans and if looking online, this style can be sold out. My legs being the most slender part of me, I feel I want to balance out the overall profile with those, not wanting skin-tight pants that give an "inverted triangle" appearance. (I don't know how many have thin, straight-up-and-down figures).

Last edited by In2itive_1; 01-02-2023 at 01:01 AM..

Old 01-02-2023, 03:18 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,022,707 times
Quote:
Actually, I see almost nothing but leggings everywhere I go; i.e., on women.
Here in my area is the same. All seasons/year, they wear the same thing. It doesn't matter the body type, age, weight or if they are going to the cinema, to eat out, grocery shopping, taking out the trash etc.

I have a pair and wear it at home. The leg is straight.

Old 01-02-2023, 06:51 AM

9,473 posts, read 5,245,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
You could ask a couple of these droopy-drawers guys whose saggy pants have their own sags, the back pockets are down around their knees, where they do their style shopping.
Random: When my husband was a cop, he got in a foot pursuit of a robbery suspect who he caught when the guy's baggy-pants-showing-his-behind fell down around his ankles and he fell flat on his face. Both he and the suspect had a good laugh.

Old 01-02-2023, 06:59 AM

And what do older women wear with the ubiquitous leggings?

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/...ing-tunics-now

Old 01-02-2023, 07:06 AM

15,221 posts, read 10,334,199 times
Quote:
I realize I can find them if I shop online and pay more. I was just lamenting that pants have become leggings. Seems crazy to me given that most women don't have the body for them!
Another problem with wearing leggings most of the time is you don't realize when you've put on a few pounds because leggings are very forgiving where jeans aren't.

Old 01-02-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Another problem with wearing leggings most of the time is you don't realize when you've put on a few pounds because leggings are very forgiving where jeans aren't.
I think hanging around the house every day WFH in knits of one kind or another accounts for the "Covid 15 Pounds" a lot of us put on during the pandemic.

Old 01-02-2023, 07:48 AM

1,462 posts, read 661,792 times
Otterhere, I feel your pain. We all have such body issues. BTW. with your trim calves and ankles, you'd look great in capri leggings. (in the spring if you're in a cold climate).

But I've gotten ahead of myself. Charles Dickens said it best: "Leggings can be the best of times and the worst of times.Well, maybe he never said that.

Okay folks, keep up with me.

Anyway, there is a reason leggings are insanely popular. Just make sure you get the right brand with enough spandex. I get mine 74% polyester and 26% spandex. The only brand I buy is online, marshall's (maybe TJMAxx has them) yogalicious, high waist ankle. Price is 17 bucks. I size up to extra large as I will never ever wear anything tight. Leggings meet you where you are. Generous thighs? They stretch to fit. Slender calves, they do not have to stretch. Get what I mean? I wear tall tee shirts to cover the bum. I buy the men's tall Gap or ON. The sleeves are longer. But there are tunic tops galore out there. Pair with slip on sneakers or cute flats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty