Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 10:27 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
leggings are not pants and they do not ever look like pants.
they look like underwear.
why anyone wants to look like they are walking around in their underwear, is beyond me.

they are the equivalent of spandex long johns.
if i am going to wear long johns (and i do) , they are going to be made of cotton, not spandex.
and I will wear a skirt or dress over them.

leggings in my view are not attractive at all in any way, shape or form. or on anyone's shape or form or size. they are uniformly ugly on every body size and body type. fine for an exercise class or bicycling, that's about it. they literally look like the person WOOPS! forgot to put their pants on. i don't care what type of shirt a person is wearing with leggings, they still look like they forgot to put on their pants (or skirt or dress).

where i work, our service chief actually updated the dress code policy to include a section on leggings because they are deemed to be unprofessional, even in our business casual workplace, and leggings are put in the same "NO" category as blue ripped blue jeans, bare midriffs, halter tops, and tank tops. c'mon people. stop walking around in what looks like underwear.
Define "leggings." I do all the laundry, so have an idea of what gets lumped in with the term.

She has lululemon/athleta brand bottoms. These have a pocket and are designed largely as active/exercisewear. My wife wears them to teach classes where she has to be mobile and on the ground with 3-4 year olds and may have to run after them. She also wears these on the weekends, to walk the dogs, or shop, and doesn't look out of place. Typically, she wears a long shirt to cover her butt, especially at work.

She has Old Navy or Target brand leggings that are more cottony, thinner, and look like what you describe. Mostly she wears these around the house or doing yard work maybe.

She has a couple of pairs of Spanx brand leggings, that are a leather-look, that she'd wear out for a date night or with her girlfriends.

She has two pairs of much thicker that she wears to visit clients or other places that require a dressier look. She doesn't look out of place wearing these to Church.

None of these have belt loops, a zipper or button waist, or a drawstring of note. Ergo, they all get lumped in as "leggings" but they aren't all the same.

None of them are as tight as or as sheer as tights or pantyhose, even the thickest most opaque pair she'd wear in the dead of winter, which juxtaposed to leggings, are very clearly underwear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 12:25 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
The older I get the more I like loose fitting clothes especially in winter so I can wear another layer if I want to. I found some fleece lined sweatpants in 8 different colors that I love, and bought 2. They have deep pockets, are very snuggly, and I want to buy a couple more. They are on Amazon. But be aware that the #1 are the fleece lined, and the #2 don't have fleece.

https://smile.amazon.com/Yeokou-Athl...YMN&th=1&psc=1

Then next time I found fleece lined sweatshirts by the same folks, and bought 2. These are heavy, long, and loose, perfect for around the house, or walking the pup. If anyone wants form fitting these are not it, lol. But both top, and bottom are wonderfully warm, and comfy.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0B7RCKC...ils&th=1&psc=1

-------------------------------

Old 01-04-2023, 12:49 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I saw what I think were harem pants at some fairs this year and am kicking myself for not picking up a pair. The ones I saw weren't a drop crotch though and were wildly patterned in different squares. I hope I find them again! Not warm but great for fall or spring.

Yes, too bad you didn't snap them up! If I can find some drop-crotch pants in the right fabric, look, variety of colors, & the right reasonable price, I'd get about 3-5 pairs.

Old 01-04-2023, 01:16 PM

1,462 posts, read 659,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Define "leggings." I do all the laundry, so have an idea of what gets lumped in with the term.

She has lululemon/athleta brand bottoms. These have a pocket and are designed largely as active/exercisewear. My wife wears them to teach classes where she has to be mobile and on the ground with 3-4 year olds and may have to run after them. She also wears these on the weekends, to walk the dogs, or shop, and doesn't look out of place. Typically, she wears a long shirt to cover her butt, especially at work.

She has Old Navy or Target brand leggings that are more cottony, thinner, and look like what you describe. Mostly she wears these around the house or doing yard work maybe.

She has a couple of pairs of Spanx brand leggings, that are a leather-look, that she'd wear out for a date night or with her girlfriends.

She has two pairs of much thicker that she wears to visit clients or other places that require a dressier look. She doesn't look out of place wearing these to Church.

None of these have belt loops, a zipper or button waist, or a drawstring of note. Ergo, they all get lumped in as "leggings" but they aren't all the same.

None of them are as tight as or as sheer as tights or pantyhose, even the thickest most opaque pair she'd wear in the dead of winter, which juxtaposed to leggings, are very clearly underwear.
Sounds like your wife is seriously stylin' and looks put together and chic. Does she wear the button down, menswear inspired big shirts? I think she'd like them with her leggings. ON and Gap have them.

And JONOV, you sound like a good guy! You had me at you do the laundry....

Old 01-04-2023, 01:28 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Sounds like your wife is seriously stylin' and looks put together and chic. Does she wear the button down, menswear inspired big shirts? I think she'd like them with her leggings. ON and Gap have them.

And JONOV, you sound like a good guy! You had me at you do the laundry....
Ever since a snake used the laundry room to shed its skin on the water heater, she has refused and I refuse to pay for someone to snake proof it (our laundry room is semi-detached from the main house, across the carport.)

Old 01-04-2023, 03:34 PM

1,462 posts, read 659,289 times
LOL! Thanks for the laugh. We still think you're a good guy cause you're honest, too!

Your wife, of course, would never plant a snake skin on the water heater. Of course not. That's absurd, right? Right?

Old 01-04-2023, 06:58 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I have to agree with you, though, that it's hard to find regular pants that aren't leggings or skinny legs to wear for work or dressing up. I hate skinny pants that are ankle length. I wear socks or hose in the winter months and ankle pants don't work with socks or hose unless you wear knee high boots--which I don't. I'm not one of those trendy gals out there wearing the stiletto heels with the skinny jeans. I wear boot cut or straight leg. They're hard to find.
I don't like ankle length. I like straight leg when I want my dressy, more conservative appearance. I do wear leggings because they are comfortable but I don't like them skin tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You're fortunate. I now have a flat butt, thunder thighs, saddlebags, and scrawny calves and don't need all these flaws accentuated by pants that fit like a second skin.
I hear you otter. I have the flat butt, big stomach and pencil thin legs........I said I look like a potato on a stick.......lol

Quote:
Not after menopause. But thanks!
LOL

Quote:
And what do older women wear with the ubiquitous leggings?

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/...ing-tunics-now
This is hilarious !I love it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
If you're not "feeling" the tunic look, I find the teens have a cute style with the big, long beach tee shirts. Or any long one pocket tee shirt. I like the longer arms on those tee shirts as well. Some teens wear those shirts over their short shorts as well as their leggings. Yeah, I know. That train has left the station.....
I like that look, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I wear a lot of leggings, and i wear some tops that have the hi-low hem. I don't really like tunics on me as i'm only 5'2".

Or tops that are kind of "swingy"-hemmed. Not really tunics, maybe a bit dressier but also not real DRESSY.
.......snipped.......
(oh, and i'm almost 64)
I wanted to like the hi-low hem style but it didn't work that well for me. (too much stomach) but I do like the "swingy" aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
......snipped......

I also saw the difference when Walmart came to my area taking over kmart between the dish towels made in China and made in Palestine. The towels from Palestine were much better quality. Better stitching, color, material. But the China made dish towels were flimsy, seams falling apart and the color looked like it went through a street mud puddle.
I posted this for the part about Kmart versus Wal Mart. KMarts brands were 10 times better than WM. The materials were thicker, better. The shoes were better, they carried the Thom McCan line, along with others. They carried the Martha Stewart lines for some time, although, there were a lot of thinkgs labelled MS that I didn't always think they were worth her price. They had the best Christmas displays of any chain store. I bought many many items from KMart that I still use today and they are holding up well.

Old 01-04-2023, 07:01 PM

986 posts, read 541,787 times
Quote:
I hit Goodwill today looking for some roomy sweatpants and comfy knits and struck out; everything is a rubber band fitting skin-tight. That's nice if you're 20 and have great legs. I'm in my 60s and could use a little camouflage here! A thrift shop used to be reliable, but now it looks like a used workout wear store.
Ha ha. That logic doesn't seem to permeate through to the rest of the women in our society. I see a lot of women wearing stretch pants that have absolutely no business doing so!!!

Old 01-04-2023, 07:26 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Well, "joggers" really are a thing. I saw about five pair on just a quick trip to the store. One pair of mom jeans. All the rest were leggings.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:19 PM

81 posts, read 46,466 times
When I exercise or go for a run, I wear leggins.

Any other public appearances - pants or jeans (slim cut)

Someone up thread posted about dress code banishing leggins ... yeah, I agree.

I'm not sure why leggins conquered our society . To be honest, very few people have a body to pull this off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty