Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 12:50 PM

65 posts, read 45,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Why can't she mean clothing? Some people enjoy putting together carefully curated looks. It sounds like she gets a vision in mind for a look, but can't find the pieces to realize that vision. That's not necessarily the shopping that is the outlet for her.
Exactly. I spend so much time putting different outfits together and trying on things from my closet. Different looks for different occasions. It’s a chance to have fun, dream, and experiment with style.

I follow a bunch of French brands and what’s been interesting to learn is how much more dressed Europeans get. Americans in general are much more casual. People in other countries don’t wear athleisure like we do here, for example. I got tired of wearing overly casual clothes and now take great joy in putting beautiful outfits together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I can't imagine spending $1k/month on clothes. Would feel I'd need to lose 20 pounds to start spending big money.
This year probably spent $50/month or less on clothes, shoes could move that to $100 some months.

Being retired makes life easy, don't have to look good for work.
I have many clothes that aren't trendy so the style lasts for many years.
Been trying not to ruin teeshirts as much (painting is my main hobby) but they are inexpensive to replace.
You deserve to look and feel beautiful in your clothing right now. That doesn’t necessarily mean spending big money, but it does mean accepting and loving yourself and allowing yourself to feel beautiful regardless of how you look.

I’ve gained a bit of weight too from some health issues, so I’m just careful on what I buy and keep that in mind. Allowing ourselves to feel beautiful is important.

Old 09-30-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm not familiar with any of the brands you mentioned so I googled the first few up until Joah Brown, they're all what I would consider expensive brands, even that yoga site, a pair of pants is $97! That's crazy! Each one of them was at least $100 if not more for one clothing piece.

I don't know anyone that would have that kind of money every month for clothing.

I just bought my grandson (age 9) new clothes for school, about 5 pants, 7 T-shirts, underwear, a few hoodies and Nike sneakers, I spent about $300. All of his stuff was name brand such as Puma, Reebok, Nike. I shopped at Burlington and Marshall's where you can find some great deals on designer clothes. I don't know if they have anything you'd like but you should check them out if you haven't.
Nike also uses slave and child labor to make its clothing. Your grandson’s shoes were probably made my someone his age working for 12 hours a day with starvation-level wages.

Old 09-30-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Same here. $1000 a month, that's approaching my rent payment.

"Clothing is a big creative outlet for me, and something I truly enjoy even though it also stresses me out because I can never find the things I want."
I think you mean shopping, not clothing. I don't do recreational shopping but I understand it is a hobby for some people, and they get that dopamine rush when they find something new.
I actually hate shopping. I like putting beautiful, creative outfits together and feeling like what I wear represents who I am as a person. My closet / getting dressed was a constant source of stress and struggle so I decided to invest in creative a beautiful, high-quality wardrobe that contains everything I need for the many experiences of life.

I believe being well-dressed and presenting yourself well to the world is a virtue. A sign of respecting yourself and others. In the past, I wore the same ripped jeans and t shirts and athleisure as other young-ish women, but I decided that no longer works for me so I had to start from scratch.

Old 09-30-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I really don't like shopping, but I've been spending about $200 a month on clothes the last few months and donating my old clothes to a local charity. I'm very frugal on clothes so I only buy from the clearance racks at the local department store or I buy a couple things at Walmart when I'm grocery shopping. Love Walmart's sleepwear and leggings, super soft.
You are worth more than the clearance rack.

Old 09-30-2022, 01:21 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaysway View Post
You deserve to look and feel beautiful in your clothing right now. That doesn’t necessarily mean spending big money, but it does mean accepting and loving yourself and allowing yourself to feel beautiful regardless of how you look.

I’ve gained a bit of weight too from some health issues, so I’m just careful on what I buy and keep that in mind. Allowing ourselves to feel beautiful is important.
When I was thinner, I used to love shopping and putting outfits together. Now, it just kind of a challenge to find anything that camouflages my flaws. It takes the joy out of it.

Old 09-30-2022, 01:27 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When I was thinner, I used to love shopping and putting outfits together. Now, it just kind of a challenge to find anything that camouflages my flaws. It takes the joy out of it.
It helps to change your mindset that your body is how it is and isn't flawed, and that your clothes should fit you, not vice versa.

Old 09-30-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
There’s always a way! Check out YouTube. There is a ton of great advice on there. My trouble spot is my belly, so I’ve gravitated toward high waisted pants which thankfully are in style right now.

Learning how to dress for your body changes everything!

Old 09-30-2022, 01:46 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I read the first post of this thread to my wife. She said if she ever spent $1000, or even $500 in one month on clothes, she hopes I'd give her a good swift kick in the butt. After losing almost 100 lbs after gastric sleeve surgery, she donated all her "too big" clothes to a local Goodwill type store, which emptied her closet. She splurged a couple weeks ago and spent almost $50 on a couple nice tops, a dress, and 2 pair of slacks. She shops using a method that some people don't have any more. It's called common sense.

Old 09-30-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I read the first post of this thread to my wife. She said if she ever spent $1000, or even $500 in one month on clothes, she hopes I'd give her a good swift kick in the butt. After losing almost 100 lbs after gastric sleeve surgery, she donated all her "too big" clothes to a local Goodwill type store, which emptied her closet. She splurged a couple weeks ago and spent almost $50 on a couple nice tops, a dress, and 2 pair of slacks. She shops using a method that some people don't have any more. It's called common sense.
People should always shop within their means, and means is relative. I assumed since this was a fashion forum, there would be people interested in curating their style and willing to spend money on clothes. Frankly I’m confused why people who hate shopping or think spending money on clothes is wasteful are spending their time in a fashion forum.

I could be rude back, but instead I’ll just note that fashion and clothes are very dependent upon lifestyle. It looks like you live in Kentucky, presumably a more rural area. If I lived in a rural area, I would likely spend far less on clothes. Instead, I live in an appearance-conscious mid-size city and need clothes appropriate to that lifestyle.

Neither is better or worse - sometimes we think about moving to a rural area. We’d make (and spend) less money, but for now this is where we live, and so other choices including fashion reflect that reality.

Last edited by swaysway; 09-30-2022 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty